Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Automatic lights on 9C1

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  94MI9C1 
#1 ·
I have a Canadian 96' 9C1 Caprice. The exterior lights turn on automatically when it's dark outside. When this happens the headlight switch seems to have no effect. I can turn it to any position and it won't do anything. The dimmer dims the interior lights.

There is also a button to the right of the radio. Is that some sort of dark car mode? I tried pushing it and the radio dims very lightly when I push it but that's it.

Is this how the lights operate under normal conditions?

On my Crown Vics the headlight switch has these positions "auto lights, off, park, on". This lets me turn the headlights off completely. Is there a way to turn the headlights off on a Caprice?

#2 ·
Do they turn on all the time when it is light out as well? Do they stay on after you turn off the car or do they shut off with ignition? Since you are in Canada sounds like DRL to me.

Could be Twilight Sentinel, but 9C1's usually didn't come with that, but on the headlight switch if it has twilight you will have another rotary switch like the interior light dimmer.

The switch next to the radio should turn off the cluster lights as well. It was supposed to darken the inside of the car when police would leave it running.

#3 ·
They don't turn on when it's light out. Only the headlights do. I assume this is due to DRL. They shut off when ignition is off.

I think the guy that owned the car before me replaced parts of the dash so I am suspecting he installed twilight sentinel but didn't put in the correct switch. Can twilight sentinel be disabled so headlights operate via headlight switch only?

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah, the switch next to the radio is sometimes referred to as the "stealth mode" button, and as far as I know it was a 9C-1 option only for killing all exterior lights. I dunno if it was supposed to have any effect on the interior lights. I read about it on the Wikipedia article on 9C-1's & how having the car running completely dark was beneficial for certain law enforcement activities.

As far as your lights staying on when the light switch is turned off? Sounds like DRL's or the twilight sentinel is working correctly. In my 95' SS I can spin the T/S dial all the way up or down for maximum sensitivity or off, and I leave it off because I can turn my own damn lights on when I want them on. This T/S dial is right next to the interior dimmer dial on my dash.

Also I love the option of having the T/S off & no DRL's because my BBB looks so damn mean with just the parking lights on. ;)

I can confirm the dome override switch trick. I've seen it before. Also in my 98' Chevy Silverado I could engage the parking brake & it would kill the DRL's. You might try that.

#7 ·
I don't have Twilight Sentinel scroll wheel on my headlight switch tough. Just the dimmer. Basically I am trying to figure out if the system is working correctly or if something is messed up. The button next to the radio has no effect when I push it though.

Where is the photo sensor located? Is it in behind the grille on the dashpad?

#8 ·
Well if they did put in the twilight system and didn't put in the correct headlight switch assembly that has the twilight wheel, there would be no way to turn it off. I swear that you had to have the wheel connected to make it work at all. Pull out the headlight switch assembly and see if they left the twilight wheel behind there. From the factory the connector for the wheel should be there. I would also bet that there is an aftermarket DRL module installed.

The sensor for the twilight is under the defroster vent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.