Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Best tires for snow?

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  katana1100 
#1 ·
After driving in the rain on Friday, and slippin and sliding while pulling off and and braking hard, made me realize that the snow will not be too much fun. Given I was driving on my summer wheels I still don't think the stock wheels and tires will be any better. What tires and tire size do you guys recommend on the stock impala wheels for the snow?

#3 ·
Hankook makes solid winter tires but the right winter tire for you will be the one that fits your conditions and needs best.

Will these be for your '94?

#6 ·
Yes these new tires will be on my 94'.

#7 · (Edited)
#9 ·
A distinction without a difference. Much better selection of snow tires for 15" rims.

#10 ·
I guess you have an Impala and at a minimum I hope you have a working Posi. Forget using a RWD car with an open rear. I've driven RWD cars for years without too much trouble in SE Pennsylvania. But I don't think we get the Snow like you may get in Chicago. I would seriously consider a FWD hoopty and have been running 1 for many years now. 4WD is nice but not really needed in our area too much. Had an S-10 blazel for about 9 years and I think we used 4WD a total of 6 times.

Back in the day when my stock Caprice was a Daily Driver, I had a Posi, a pair of 15" metal rims and some aggressive tread (real) Snow Tires with studs installed. I never used those so called "winter tires" or "all season tire" on a RWD car before.

Now my car stays in the garage when the forecast calls for Snow, and I drive my 91 Regal like I usually do any other day. I would also be too worried that some other idiot would lose control and hit my B-body. People really don't know how to drive when the weather turns. :confused:

#11 ·
Cheap Winterforce tires were excellent in the snow, I've had them on 9C1 wheels and RMS wheels, pick up some cheap 15's for the winter and cheaper snow tires. I got my wagon up some pretty steep hills in deep snow on them, peg leg too.

#12 ·
+1 on the winterforce. Have had them for years.

Have them in 225/70-15, studded and posi. It easily goes where non snowtired FWD can't. Never got or had fear of getting stuck. Great for black ice conditions. Only the noise of the studs... In NYC, you tend to be an oddball with them. Head upstate or pocono's and they seem much more common.

Contemplating trying the General Altimax Artic without studs as it's suppose to be almost as good as with studs.

#13 ·
Well, it was Winter 2011 and I couldnt put my usual 15" "Winter" set on because the rims wont fit over the dual piston calipers I finally put on.

I bought a full set of 17" steel wheels and Blizzak tires and they were freaking awesome!,, not cheap though, I think all said and done was close to $1300. But, they go me home 60 miles through 25" of snow on the freeway (mostly 18"). It was so bad a few miles I couldn't see my hood...

Only have about 1000 miles on that set as I have the stock rims for Spring-Fall and no I drive my dad's 95 Maxima since he gave it to me the day before he passed away.

So, if anyone is in the Colimbus, Ohio area and is looking for true Winter wheels I'll make you a deal. They're just sitting in the garage along with the 15" set (those have about 25k on them and I'll sell them too!)

PM me if interested.

#14 ·
I don't think the Hankooks are good in the snow. For that matter, I have yet to have a tire that inspired any confidence in the snow.
When we get more than a couple of inches of the white stuff, I whip out the floor jack, raise the car and put on snow cables.
The car becomes are snow mobile with those cables. Plus, those 255-50-17 tires loom pretty sweet with these cables!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.