Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

EWP and double roller timing that fit a 96?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GreenHornet 
#1 ·
So I plan to switch to an electric water pump when it comes time to change it. Are there any double roller timing sets that will clear my stock 96 timing cover side i wont need the water pump drive or gear behind the camshaft sorrier that drives it, as from some research I hear issues with clearing the crack position sensor and cover itself. Yet with the EFI 24x connection kit it sounds like with their billet cover they recommend the use of a double roller timing set and obviously a crank position sensor is needed for that conversion.

#2 · (Edited)
My car has a double roller on it. But it was installed by the po.
Ive been piecing a new motor together and from my research on here a Cloyes 3157 should work. Id search and double check though.

Im an idiot. the 3157 is a fat single roller. kinda close to the lt4 ed but with out the water pump drive

#5 ·
I don't think a DoubleRoller is really needed on a Street car and heard there can be fitment issues behind the Cover.

I just went with a Cloyes C-3039 for my recent built and it fit perfectly and cost about $80.

There is also a GM timing set (LT1) for sale on EBlay for $150.

#6 ·
No, you can't use a double roller with the factory crank sensor or not that I have found yet. The crank gear on the double roller Cloyes sets are too small and the chain will hit the lip of the crank sensor. A lot of people get rid of this sensor but I think thats a big mistake if you want to run a GM computer.

Don't discount the GM high performance gear set as that single chain setup is as strong as the double roller. If you are going to remove the water pump drive then you can mill off the grear drive on the back of the cam gear to reduce the weight of that setup.

So what I'm saying is unless you want an adjustable timing gear or have a line honed block there is no performance gain over the GM stuff.

#7 ·
Don't discount the GM high performance gear set as that single chain setup is as strong as the double roller. If you are going to remove the water pump drive then you can mill off the grear drive on the back of the cam gear to reduce the weight of that setup.

Jeff- from researching on here the cloyes 3157 I listed above is the same as the lt4 ed but without all the lt water pump drive on it.

#8 ·
Ok yea so if the 96 crank sensor prohibits being able to use a double roller (and I agree I'd rather keep that sensor and its functions) aside from the GMHP extreme duty timing set (unnecessarily expensive when I am getting rid of the need for the LT specific water pump gearing on its backside) what equivalent set is out there such as Green Hornet's suggestion, is that Cloyes 3157 of same strength or does anyone have any other single-roller suggestions that are like the extreme duty but without the LT waterpump gearing?

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.