Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

CASE Relearn for 1996 Impala SS

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  stratman 
#1 ·
I bought a tuned PCM from PCMForLess. On their website in the FAQ section they mention that a CASE (Crankshaft Angle Sensor Error) relearn has to be done. I've searched on the forum to see what I could find but nothing specific on CASE relearn comes up. I'm running the tuned PCM in a 96 SS. Any info on whether or not a CASE relearn is needed or necessary will help. In the mean time I'll be searching on the web.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help!

#2 ·
I'm running the tuned PCM in a 96 SS. Any info on whether or not a CASE relearn is needed or necessary will help. In the mean time I'll be searching on the web.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help!
I also have a tune from PCM for less in my '96 Caprice. I just swapped PCMs and it was good to go. I'd compare it to disconnecting the battery for a little bit. The car feels a bit funny until you drive it a bit. Just until the idle settings and shift points are figured out. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Never heard of it. Why don't you just call Brian,and ask him?

#5 ·
http://www.bsecorp.com/files/techtips/ST9303l.pdf

Go down a couple of pages. The manual (non scan tool) version of the rest is the same as the trucks for our cars.

I found that online last nite. I read it and it does say that using a tuner/programmer is not a necessity. The PCM will do an automatic re-learn after it completes a complete drive cycle.

That's some handy info. Especially the breakdown of the drive cycle.

Thanks for the help/Confirmation!

#7 · (Edited)
Yes they do. Both my MODIS and OTC Genesys have the test listed and a corresponding datastream PID for timing offset that does change. I've had to do this on several cars that had some surging problems after a cam swap and timing chain renewal. Also brought commanded timing back into what was being read at the balancer on a pointer with tape. Now oddly enough, just as in the article I linked to, some of the trucks from the 96 to 98 model years don't have scan tool access for the test. Some of them I can force through on a tool setup for a 99 and some won't.

Running the CKP relearn or CASE relearn is a good thing to do for your customers when performing a tune-up or maintenance on an engine that has around 50,000 miles and up at regular intervals. It is an added function to detect and keep track of crankshaft position and rotational velocity for misfire diagnostics. Rerunning the test can also help "cure" a vehicle that it throwing false or phantom misfire codes. Other side to that is if the test is run and the reporting of said misfires gets worse, then you have a worn timing set and/or valvetrain.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.