Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Cloyes 9-3157 question

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  The Bolt-On Terror 
#1 ·
So I've decided to go with the Cloyes 9-3157 timing set when I goto an EWP as its the main one I've found others have used with LT1 and the only set I've found confirmed to still work with the factory '96 Crank Position Sensor.

My question is upon confirming in the Cloyes catalog they also have a part# 9-3157X1 that is the same set but with 1 keyway instead of a 3 keyway and is $30 cheaper.
Is there any need for the 3 keyway? as I plan to stay with my stock head&cam for awhile yet and even when I do some type of head&cam package I'd obviously send in my PCM for a BH retune

#2 ·
The 3 keyway allows you to advance or retard the cam timing by 4* in either direction. If you don't plan on advancing or retarding the cam then just get the single keyway set. You can still advance or retard the cam with the single keyway but now you would have to drill out the cam pin hole and use offset bushings instead.

#3 ·
Right so I guess my question is more how common place is it that the various lt1 crowd are installing these timing sets in the advanced or retarded positions as it's also my understanding that a lot of lt1 cams have some advance built into it.
Maybe this is more common to those getting an advanced inductions head & cam kit, I just haven't read much on lt1's and putting in timing sets with advance or retard I assume it's mostly adjusted via tune? (as that's probably where I'm going with my motor eventually)

#4 ·
A cam from a reputable shop like AI or from GM/Crane or Comp will check good if installed dot-to-dot with otherwise factory parts. There will be no need for indexing. You can go with the non-indexing Cloyes kit. If you get a cam reground by Joe's Garage, all bets are off.

Yes, most cams for SBC's have "built-in" advance. When you install it, just drop the gear onto the dowel pin and you're good to go; the "advance" has already been taken care of for you.

If you're running a cam that's not a good match for your setup, and you want to crutch it to make it work better, then advancing or retarding it via indexing can help, but...........it's a heck of lot easier to just start with the right cam.

#5 ·
Watch the Cloyes parts that are for SB Chevy late model roller blocks and not LT parts. They are not the same and some have clearence issues on the cam plate and so on.

#6 ·
Right, that's why the 3157 (HD single roller) is a better option than the 3145 (double roller). You'll never have to grind for the 3157, for the 3145 you may.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.