Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

switching to ati super damper. belt question

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  4DoorSS 
#1 · (Edited)
OK so I'm going to a superdamper on my 96 impala and a smaller a 63.5" Goodyear belt is recommended. But I also have an overdrive pulley already on my alternator that is 49mm (~2 in) diameter. Now I remember between two pulley diameters you take only half the difference in diameter for how much difference the belt would need to be. Problem is I don't recall what the stock alternator pulley diameter is, I think maybe it was around 2.5" which would come out to only a quarter inch difference for the belt, any help?

#2 ·
ATI super damper, what's that ? sounds cool, please tell me more about it

ATI super damper, what's that ? sounds cool, please tell me more about it

#5 ·
If you're trying to figure out what length belt to use, just measure it with some string.

Use the stock setup with no belt and the tensioner loose, take some string and route it like the belt on the front grooves of each pulley. Then mark where the string meets the end and see how long it is. Just make sure the string is pulled tight.

Then do the same thing with the ati setup on there and see how much shorter that string is. The difference in the 2 strings will be how much shorter of a belt you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.