As requested Roady Climate Control (C68) installation into Caprice or Impala - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Interior
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-25-2009, 01:39 PM

94MI9C1 is on a distinguished road
Default As requested Roady Climate Control (C68) installation into Caprice or Impala

Hey there all

I have had a couple of gentleman on here curious about the installation of this into our Caprices and Impalas, since the crash this info was lost and I am pretty sure that I made a post regarding this about a year ago. I will try to remember all that I can to help out anyone.

As far as what you need,

1.94-96 control head, mine is a 96 as there are some internal differences, at least this is what I was told, and it works better.
2. Mixing valve, electric unit that goes in place of the manual unit on the duct housing
3. electric vacuum solenoid, in place of the manual tubes from the control switch.
4. interior temp sensor and tube that is run behind the glove box, tube attachs to the upper portion of the blower housing to cause a vacuum affect to pull in cabin air so the system can read interior temp for auto control
5. Sun load sensor, goes in where the twilight sensor is under the dash vent, you will need a dash vent also from a 95 or 96 roady and modify it to fit in our dashes, or cut a hole for the sensor and put it in place
6. Exterior temp sensor, mounted in front of radiator.
7. blower control module, goes in place of the original blower resistor module mounted next to the blower in the duct.

Now as far as installation goes, it is easier to accomplish if you have the whole harness out of a Roady and just take out the wires that you need, but you can do the installation with just the connector ends and a bunch of splicing.
You will have to have a fair bit of electrical knowledge and ability to trace out information on the wiring diagrams

Take the dash apart to ease the installation, including both the upper and lower portions of it.

you will be cutting a square hole for the interior temp sensor tube in this plenum here on the right side and route the tube towards the glove box.

remove the original clitmate control assembly and the manual mixing valve that is shown here

Here is where this is mounted to it is about in the middle of the picture, has a post and a u shaped post coming out of the plenum

These are the posts that I added to mount the electric unit

This is the vacuum control module, you take out the original distribution block install this one in it's place, I would suggest that you take the vacuum hoses of one by one and replace them with the new ones, they are all the same color coding.

Here is the shot of the harness that I made to go into the dash, I just measure everything where it needed to go and went from there. It will take a little looking at the schematics and figuring out what you can reuse. The defroster relay on the original panel is mounted to the back of the original panel, so I just used the relay for the hi blower setting down by the blower assembly.

There are probably a hundred different ways to make the harness, so if you can get the harness out of a Roady I would do this as it would be 100 times easier than tracing out all the wires like I had to do.
Here is a shot of the climate control harness, I left in all the original wiring just incase I wanted to take it back to original

As far as the mounting in the original location, you are going to have to be creative cause the mounts on the new control don't work with our old ones and you will have to cut them off, I just cut apart the original control and used it's out portion and slide it on mine and mounted it to the dash

This pic shows how I routed the interior temp sensor tube

Also if you mount the vaccum module to the original location you will have to take a piece out of you glove box so that it will shut, or you can tie it up out of the way so that it doesn't hit it, if you don't want to mess with cutting the glove box. I cut mine, I will have to find a pic of that though.
This is how my mounted in the original location

Since then I made a sheetmetal bracket for my double din install and it came out like this.

I think that is it, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Mike
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1, 126,000 miles, T56, 4.10's

C6 Grandsport Brake Install C6 Z06 Wheels T56 Installation Manual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Dustan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dustan

damn mike, that is alot of work...i thought about tackling this but im not good with wires lol
Impala SS Owners Association of Hawaii (ISSOAH)
Originally Posted by Cracka Ass Crackuh
"Yea. You're wearing my underwear backwards. SO the hersey highway is on the front with easy access to the rear"
Old 09-25-2009, 03:49 PM

You are right, it is a bit of work, but not too too hard, I am thinking about trying to make a harness that is plug and play for those who want the setup, but don't want to do it themselves, I guess that I can evaluate that. I wish it was just plug and play, but this is GM, make pretty much the same car, but make everything inside totally different.

Mike

Old 09-25-2009, 05:29 PM

fastlt1z28 is on a distinguished road

did you hook up the serial data info so you could run the diagnostics on it as well?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:21 PM

jayoldschool is on a distinguished road

I really want to do this in my 94 wagon. The Roadmaster has spoiled me...
Old 09-25-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlt1z28 View Post
did you hook up the serial data info so you could run the diagnostics on it as well?
Yes but you are limited as to the diagnostics you will see, you have to have a Roady PCM load to make it work correctly or give you all of the features, I haven't screwed with it much since the install, I know that it works, well most of it anyway.

Mike

Diag codes, the whole list would be nice if anyone has them and not just the ones in the FSM, they were here but got eaten by the server, thanks

Old 09-25-2009, 11:59 PM

B-Body Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice write up! I remember seeing this before the crash, thanks for posting it again.....

95 DCM Caprice LT1
Old 09-26-2009, 03:23 AM

st95ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Indeed nice write up bro, by chance do you know anyone who has the wiring harness's. I have that year a.c. unit but missing the wires though. I have been wanting to do this install for years. Any info would be greatly appriciated, Peace
95 DCM Impala SS, G2 Cold Air Induction,G2 power pulley kit w/ v-belt ,G2 throttle body plate, G2 air foil,G2 Valve Cover Breather,pcmperformance tune, 160 thermostat,Borla Full Stainless Steel Exhaust, tri-y headers, 12 way Bonnie, air pump delete, 91 Caprice tailights SSittin on TIS 06's 22's
# 3,683 of 18,365

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/229728...ellville-ga-us
Old 09-26-2009, 12:18 PM

rh96ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rh96ss

Check the wiring diagram section of 12 sec ss webpage for 94-96 Buick Roadmaster auto climate control.
1995 MGM Caprice Wagon - Sold
1995 MGM Caprice Wagon - Sold to Cracka
Old 09-27-2009, 12:32 AM

st95ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Good info bro, thanks
95 DCM Impala SS, G2 Cold Air Induction,G2 power pulley kit w/ v-belt ,G2 throttle body plate, G2 air foil,G2 Valve Cover Breather,pcmperformance tune, 160 thermostat,Borla Full Stainless Steel Exhaust, tri-y headers, 12 way Bonnie, air pump delete, 91 Caprice tailights SSittin on TIS 06's 22's
# 3,683 of 18,365

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/229728...ellville-ga-us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.