Car shuts off while driving...HALP! - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Concerns
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-04-2009, 07:36 AM

COFFEE
Default Car shuts off while driving...HALP!

So Im driving along the highway...moderate speed.....I hear the CLICK of the battery guage dropping to none. The car just dies. I coast to the shoulder and it just turnes over rather strongly, but doesnt catch but cranks over just fine. After nearly two hrs in the freezing cold, it finally starts.

My mechanic suggest that it may be the fuel pump. Even though I can still hear it power up when you turn the car to the "on" position, I take his word for it. 400$ later it still does the same problem.

So far it has lost power unexpectedly several times. At stop lights, after coming back to the car from the store, or while driving. Sometimes for only 2-15 minits it will take to crank up.

Any ideas come to mind? HELP!!!

*** Msd opti done about 3 years ago as well as the coil...no obvious shorts in the wiring at the moment...VATS key times out every so often but the idiot lights comes on when that acts up. ( does not crank at allwhen VATS acts up)
"1994" Impala, Eaton posi w/3.42, Borla headers, Suncoast forced ram hood, cooler bypass, N/O kit, Trans by Neal Transmissions in "Snellville GA", 9C1/F41 springs w/Monroe Severe Service shocks, MSD Ignitions parts and then some. :-)

Last edited by COFFEE; 12-04-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009, 08:06 AM

Henry '06 is on a distinguished road

Check Alternator, battery. Most likely both a done, had this problem before. Take them to get tested.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:48 AM

COFFEE

I sure will check it out henry, however, doesnt the alternator give warning? The battery is only about 6 months old. I will say that both posts on the battery were not as tight. (dam mechanic) I did tighten and still the same issue.

The mechanic did say that it just maybe the ignition module in the distributer. What is your opinion on that?
"1994" Impala, Eaton posi w/3.42, Borla headers, Suncoast forced ram hood, cooler bypass, N/O kit, Trans by Neal Transmissions in "Snellville GA", 9C1/F41 springs w/Monroe Severe Service shocks, MSD Ignitions parts and then some. :-)
Old 12-04-2009, 09:55 AM

G-RATED is on a distinguished road
Default battery and alternator

I would go with henry and check out your battery and alternator first. You can go to the parts store and they can check them for free. I had the same problem on a car and it ended up being the alternator and the bettery.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:22 AM

COFFEE

OK will do. Now keep in mind that the engine would just shut off in a blink but, the lights were still on and it would crank up very strongly.

I did check if the headlights were dim or not as well. I will still check the ALT as you guys both suggest and the battery too!

Thank you!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:54 AM

2TFun

Having fixed the fuel pump, it sounds electrical in nature. Check connections to coil and opti and plug wire from coil to opti. I had a similar problem but the cause was the MSD 6. Didn't see you had one installed from your sig. I have had no problems with the MSD coil. If you have the stock coil, swap it out. The FSM gives test procedures for the coil.

Also look for a loose engine ground.

Good luck,
Pat
Old 12-04-2009, 12:07 PM

COFFEE

Thanks 2Tun. The more info the better. Ill check those things.

I do have an MSD-6, however I unplugged it in case it was the cause of the issue. The MSD site does give a test procedure for that box that I will perform as well.

There is a stock coil. Ill put back on my MSD coil since I swapped it out long ago when trouble shooting another issue which showed my coil was not the culprit.

I will do that cap and rotor last. Man! I hate doing cap and rotor...sigh.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Henry '06 is on a distinguished road

I swapped my f/p thinking it was my f/p when it turned out to be my battery which I thought it was good cause it was a little under a year old but it was bad along with the alternator.

BTW, once you do an opti its actually pretty easy, and can do it in less than an house or so.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:27 PM

COFFEE
Cool

Yea Henry, I know doing an opti is not hard at all. It just sucks when you dont have a garage to do it in at this time of year.

So far I have another ignition module, and im putting on my MSD coil. I will go to the Zone to have them check both my ALT and Batt. I will post the results after a day or so to see what happens.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 PM

uwsacf is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine did that when new - could never replicate it at the dealer and it wouldn't set a code...

finally as they were unloading it off the tow truck at the dealer one day - they found a loose wire going into the pcm..

been fine now for the last 13 years or so...

but boy was the wife pissed sitting on the side of the road at 4 in the morning...

2002/3/4/5 Award Winner - Lake Mirror Classic

Web page: http://www.cardomain.com/id/uwsacf

2009 BBB Lincoln Town Car
2007 BBB MSRT8 - The Phantom
2003 BBB Crown Vic Sport
1996 BBB Impala SS - The Shadow
1972 Chrysler Newport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.