Boxing in rear control arms. - Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Suspension
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-11-2009, 03:00 PM

Northgimp is on a distinguished road
Default Boxing in rear control arms.

Im upgrading my 96 Fleetwood's suspention.
In the rear Im going with SS springs and Blistines, I cant afford the aftermarket upper and lower control arms but was thinking about just boxing the stock ones in?
Anyone do this before? what about the bushings the car has 30K miles on it so everything is like new but can I upgrade the stock arms with a stiffer bushing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 04:12 PM

WHITEBOY_ZACH is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WHITEBOY_ZACH

Im sorry, as I have no valuable information for you.

I do know it has been done plenty of times. I have no tips for doing it though.
I got extremely luck when buying my car, because, it had lots of extras I didnt know about till I learned something,.. The previous owner had boxed in the stock arms and it felt great (not wobbly, or weak as some mention.)
I, myself being lazy and cheap would leave the 30k bushings. Im not sure about something more firm though.

Hope this Helps
ZACH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 04:30 PM

96 Black is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't need to worry about doing anything with the uppers - leave them be.

If you're adamant about not blowing some dollars for even used aftermarket lowers, then I guess you can just weld some plate intoonto the stock ones. You want to heatsink for the bushings and be sure to sleeve the bolts for compression.

Why not just splurge on some better lowers. You're even cheaper than me!

BTW, sounds like you scored well on a 30k mile FLT there.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Oh Bob, It's So Big And Long!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
\'96 BBB: SSRI, Herter Tune, Tri-Y II, SLP SS, 3000 Edge, F/HO bars, METCO extendeds, Bilsteins, currently Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (315/35 rear)
\'95 FTSS: total mono gray, SSRI, Anthony tune, Aero catback/H/resonators, SS bars and coils, Hotchkis LCAs, Bilsteins/Airlift 1000, NL rear discs
Old 12-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Ha, yeah I dont know if Im cheap or if I rather mod the stock parts just because thats what Im used to doing!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:21 PM

Got_Tork is on a distinguished road

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...ay+bar+install
That's how I did mine.
92 RMW,WS6 Front Bar,9C1Rear Bar, Injectors, Cut Front Springs,ZQ8's,C/10 Rear Springs,Monte SS steering box,Monroe SS's,3.23's,Astro wheels,HID's,Caddy Intake,Bonney's with Bravada,Blazer overhead,Grant wheel.

Last edited by Got_Tork; 12-11-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:27 AM

Well there wasnt that much price differance between used and new for just the basic lower control arms and by the time I boxed mine in and paid for upgraded bushings, not to mention mig wire,co2, grinding wheels, band saw blade wear, and the material.. It seemed like a real good deal to spend $145.00 with shipping for a set of new BMRs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.