I'm a former member of the no heat club - Page 13 - Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Heating/Cooling/HVAC
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM

iowaSSfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTheBeSS View Post
Yeah I need to remove my knock sensors but I'm concerned about breakin em off too. If you destroy the sensor are they easy to replace?
Same boat as you. You see this thread yet?

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=255732
96 Impala SS BBB, Gen II Tri-Ys, 20" Irocs, Proforged 1" DD springs, Monroe SS shocks, ZQ8 bunpstops, PCM For Less tune, Taylor wires, 2" Glass Tek cowl hood, Oldenburger Concepts extended spoiler, Custom CAI, My trunk kit, My Interior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 AM

61bbltop is on a distinguished road

The knock sensors came out pretty easy. I used a 1/2 drive 7/8 socket (I think) with some extensions with a universal just before the socket to reach the things. You kind of have to come from below or in between the upper & lower "A" arms to get a good line on them.

They are about $35 each at Autozone.

You really should flush the block...soooo much rusty crap came out of mine!

Last edited by 61bbltop; 03-07-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 AM

4DoorSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTheBeSS View Post
Yeah I need to remove my knock sensors but I'm concerned about breakin em off too. If you destroy the sensor are they easy to replace?
Definitly pull those and drain the block. I just pulled mine again and with the water pump off and warm weather, I decided to push the car outside last weekend and REALLY flush it out. I sprayed the hose right into the front WP ports on the block and let it flush out for a few minutes. Then loosly installed the sensor to let the block fill up, pull the sensor to let it "dump" out again and did this a few times. Now she is nice and clean with no worries of any old junk going into my new heater core when I install it.

This is still very fresh in my mind, to pull the sensors, I just used a 1/2" rachet with a 22mm socket and a few extensions. I got to both of them from the bottom with the starter still installed. On the drv side I just used a straight extension coming up from the bottom at a 45drgree angle that lines up perfectly to the sensor housing lid. On the pass side, I needed to use a universal joint too up by the socket since the angle is off slightly. Just be sure you do your best to keep the socket squarely on the Sensor lid. there is not much of a bolt top on these sensors so it's very easy to have the socket slip off unless you are squarely on top of it.

Quick tip - If the sensors seems to give you any trouble backing out, try to turn them in a little first and then try to back them out.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 AM

SimplyTheBeSS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorSS View Post
Quick tip - If the sensors seems to give you any trouble backing out, try to turn them in a little first and then try to back them out.
Ahh like a plumbing fitting. Okay. I have flushed out my core a few times and flushed twice and replaced the waterpump and all of the hoses but never knew about the knock sensors until after that was all done. I had great heat for a month or so but now it's back to be sucky and I can only imagine that the junk in the bottom of the block has moved around and is clogging the core again. I'll do it the right and complete way as soon as there is a nice day and it's not blowing 30+ mph winds.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 PM

Did a complete flush on mine today. Knock sensors came out without a problem. Still think I have air in the system to bleed but ran out of time today.
Does anyone know where the low coolant light gets its reading? I was assuming it was the sensor in the bottom of the resevoir. My resivoir is full but the low coolant light is on. Any suggestions?
96 Impala SS BBB, Gen II Tri-Ys, 20" Irocs, Proforged 1" DD springs, Monroe SS shocks, ZQ8 bunpstops, PCM For Less tune, Taylor wires, 2" Glass Tek cowl hood, Oldenburger Concepts extended spoiler, Custom CAI, My trunk kit, My Interior
Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 AM

I'm thinking it is what the small plug is about under your reservoir. When I had my reservoir out, I could hear the float sliding back and forth when I shook it. Mine worked fine but I replaced the tank because it was yellowed and getting brittle.

Your float might just be stuck because of all the accumulated rusty gunk in the tank. I used a combination of bleach water-pressure washer & shaking crushed ice in the tankÖnot all at once. Pull your tank and shake it. If you canít hear the float flop around, thatís your problem.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61bbltop View Post
I'm thinking it is what the small plug is about under your reservoir. When I had my reservoir out, I could hear the float sliding back and forth when I shook it. Mine worked fine but I replaced the tank because it was yellowed and getting brittle.

Your float might just be stuck because of all the accumulated rusty gunk in the tank. I used a combination of bleach water-pressure washer & shaking crushed ice in the tankÖnot all at once. Pull your tank and shake it. If you canít hear the float flop around, thatís your problem.
Where did you find a new tank? Mine is yellowed as well but was planning on painting it. I will have to shake/whack it and see if the float comes loose. It worked before the flush so shaking it clean must have got it stuck. You know if the float/sensor can be replaced or if I have to get a whole new tank?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 AM

I got it at the NAISSO Superstore. I also replaced the cap as you should replace every few years. My engine compartment looked virtually brand new aside from the coolant tank...now she looks prestine! Here's the link

http://impalasuperstore.com/supersto...g+System+Parts
Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Gave the tank a couple smacks and must of freed up the float because the light shut off.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 AM

iowaSSfan,

I've checked out your interior & trunk threads...just buy a new tank! You've done such a clean job on the rest it's a shame to have yellowed/stained stuff under the hood...don't just paint it.

IMHO, clean new windshield washer & coolant reservoir plus stock decals will make your engine bay look factory fresh. I think it makes any CAI & other bay mods look even cleaner.

Also, we in the motorcycle world use a product called S-100 that you spray your engine & wires to give them a clean black look. Its water repellant and lasts a long time. You can also use tire foam...it gets into all the nooks & crannies. Just wait a day or so to hose off the compartment, then do a thorough wipe down. NOTE #1: I use a leaf blower to dry the motor with it running. NOTE # 2: I always stuff rags above the Optispark to prevent intrusion...don't forget to remove

There is probably a thread on here that covers engine bay cleaning but that's how I've been doing it for years and it works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.