Fuel Pump removal and re-install how to. - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-19-2009, 03:27 PM

RollinSlow84
Default Fuel Pump removal and re-install how to.

In an effort to rebuild the Forum post crash, here is my contribution. A step by step how to remove and re-place a fuel pump. The maintenance was performed on a 1996 Caprice wagon. Basically all of the B/D tanks mount the same, just different filler neck and ventline location.

First off you'll want to raise the rear of the vehicle a good amount. The rear wheels of the Wagon were about 3" off the ground, this was just enough for me to use my transmission jack to keep the tank mounted on it and slide it out. You're results may vary. Safety note: chock the front wheels or put something in front to keep the car from rolling foward.

Here is the filler neck and vent line connection. There two hose clamps on the filler neck, and one on the vent line. Loosen both on the filler neck so you twist the rubber hose to help free it off the tank mount. When the tank mount end comes loose, tighten back up the other end.

These are the tank strap mount bolts, They are 13mm and a pain to get back in place. Loosen and remove the nut, but leave the bolts in place for now. Take the cross stap nut off and push the tank strap out of the way.

Now position a floor jack or transmission jack underneath the tank to support it. I used a floorjack with a peice of wood cut to fit in between the tank straps to help balance it. Put some pressure on the tank to take the load off the bolts for the straps. The bolts should come out with little effort.

Lower the tank a little bit and slide the jack towards the rear as you lower to keep the tank balanced. Remove the hose connection at the filler neck and cover up the port to prevent a fuel leak. I used two ziploc bags and safety wire. Worked pretty good, the tank tipped over and didnt get much of leak.

Now get under the car and disconnect the the retainer for the fuel suppy/return and evap lines. Its directly above the rear end.

Now I tried to cheat but it didnt work out, I tried to remove the fuelpump and sender assembly without fully dropping the tank. Don't bother you'll waste your time.

To be continued.
1980 Malibu Coupe, Grandma fresh 100K original owner New Mexico rust free
1978 Pontiac Catalina Safari, old guy fresh 83K original owner New Mexico rust free
1996 Caprice Wagon SOLD

Happiness is driving a Wagon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 03:56 PM

RollinSlow84

You will need a fuel line disconnect tool, I have a cheap Lisle set I bought from Sears. You need these tools!

With the tank lowerd a bit you have easier acess to the fuel suppy and return lines. Move the rubber boot out the way and you'll see the QD. Use the disconnect tools. Select the appropiatly sized one and with the sleve facing up into the connection push it in. You might have to puch the line a little to get it in. It should slide in and then pull the lines apart. If its taking alot of effort, stop your no fully ***-engauging the QD.

Now you're ready to drop the tank and pull it out so you can work on it. Dont forget to diconnect the wiring harness from the retainers on the body. Once the tank is out you should clean the area above it before removing the retianing ring for the fuelpump and sender assembly. The retainer is held in place with Six 10mm nuts. Pull out the fuelpump and sender assembly.

Remove the wiring and Take the cap off of the fuelpump housing, there a few tabs. Be carefull when pulling out the purple wire, it has a tight retainer and you wouldnt want to break the sender assembly. I would strongly suggest you install a new in tank harness. Compare the new one to the old one and make sure the wres are in the proper terminal location.

Slide new fuel pump into housing and reconnect the wires. Install a new strainer to keep your warranty valid.

Use the new O-ring that comes with the fuelpump and install the sender and pump assembly. Tighten the nuts in a cross over pattern. I'm not sure what the spec is but they were pretty loose when I removed them, I'd say 40" lbs. Put the tank on the jack and get it close to mounted. Connect the supply, evap and return lines and wiring harness. Time to perform an operational check. Underhood, have your fuel pressure gauge connected and some wire or terminal clips. The fuelpump "jumper" alows you energize the fuelpump by yourself from under the hood. Connect a lead to the battery + positive terminal and another to the fuelpump "jumper".

The gauge should read 45psi or better. Mine read close to fifty.

Now for the fun part, remounting the tank. The less difficult was is to completely remove the drives side strap and cross strap. Its held on with th 15mm bolt. You will need a ;ong extension or two. Jack the tank up and get the passenger side strap bolted in. Now you will have to fight the fillerneck hose back on, feel free to beat and kick the tank into submission. Use a set of tapered punches to help align the tank strap and mount holes. Loosely mount the driver's side foward tank strp mount, this will help you install the rear bolt a little easier. When all you hardware is loosely installed, then go ahead and tighten them all up.

Let me know if I missed anything, I've had my tank in and out 2 tims in the past two days.
1978 Pontiac Catalina Safari, old guy fresh 83K original owner New Mexico rust free
1996 Caprice Wagon SOLD

Last edited by RollinSlow84; 12-19-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Sophomore Member

sherlock9c1 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to sherlock9c1

Great post!

And while you're in there, refurbish and recalibrate the gas gauge sender.
The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not-knowing, not-curing, not-healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is the friend who cares. - Henri Nouwen
Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 PM

defdaboss is on a distinguished road

im glad i HELP the right person! it feel good to help someone and in return they make a thread like this that will help everybody else in the future!

just to make the job cheaper i suggest this very simple and very cheap tool. it works very well and fit like a glove.

same part number and its a 3/8. available at autozone/advance auto parts. im sure other stores have them but im 100% sure these 2 stores i mention has them. i bought mine there.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:19 PM

RollinSlow84

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaboss View Post
im glad i HELP the right person! it feel good to help someone and in return they make a thread like this that will help everybody else in the future!
Yeah, that damm wiring harness did me in. The original one looked ok in my opinion, and even worked for a minute or two... Thanks for the insight.
1996 Caprice Wagon SOLD

Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 AM

B-Body Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a suggestion but, BEFORE you remove any of the nuts on the ring that holds the sender unit/fuel pump in the tank, Take a soft brush and loosen all the dirt and debris that collects on the top of the mounting ring and surrounding area's, then either wipe it away or use a air nozzle and blow it all off. This keeps and dirt or debris from accidently falling into the fuel tank when you remove the sender unit from the tank. Also, BEFORE you start this project, Loosen the gas cap to relieve any pressure that's in the tank.

95 DCM Caprice LT1

Last edited by B-Body Builder; 12-20-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 AM

IgOTa95 is on a distinguished road

Can you rent that fuel dc line tool from auto zone. I'm in the process of doing this now.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Buffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Buffman

I have a set of instructions geared towards the racetronix unit, but they can be applied to general r&R of fuel pumps...

Exhaust Video Burnout!! New Quick Video!
ET: 13.5272 @99.33mph 1.82 60'

^^ Gone 7/12/09, but not forgotten
Old 12-21-2009, 12:04 PM

DeathmobileSS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgOTa95 View Post
Can you rent that fuel dc line tool from auto zone. I'm in the process of doing this now.

Just buy one at Harbor Freight. They are cheap.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...word=fuel+line
62 Suburban
Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 AM

96WhiteCloud is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the nice write up. I'm getting ready to drop my tank soon. Is there a good fuel pump I should go with? The one that's gone bad is less then 2 years old, don't want to do this more then once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.