Brake lights and right turn signal dont work - Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Electrical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-02-2010, 04:34 PM

LiLYoungHyphy is on a distinguished road
Default Brake lights and right turn signal dont work

Just as the tittle says, my right turn signal doesn't work, nor do my brake lights. The third brake light works, I read somewhere that it is on a different circuit. My parking lights all work, I checked all the bulbs and fuses and everything looked fine. I was reading a similar thread, and from it, it looks like I have the same problem, the turn signal switch in steering column. Is this what you guys think it is? On a side note do our brake lights, and turn signal work like Christmas tree lights, if one goes out all go out (If left side brake light bulb goes out right side doesn't work, If rear turn signals don't work, the front doesn't work? Any help will be appreciated, I can't really drive the car right now due to getting pulled over every time I take it out .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 04:48 PM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

If a left turn signal goes out, the left does not work, and if a right one goes out the right does not work. In either case the signal will not blink, but your dash light will stay on steady for that side. The third brake light is on a different circuit, but uses the same switch as the regular brake lights. It could be just a bulb. Check all the bulbs on the side that the turn signal is not working first. If it is not a bulb, it is probably your turn signal switch. The brake light switch does not affect your turn signals, but the turn signal switch affects your brake lights. You can also check for voltage/switch contact for the brake switch on your brake pedal, before making a final decision to open you steering column.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 01-02-2010, 05:12 PM

LiLYoungHyphy is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the quick reply, I understand that "If a left turn signal goes out, the left does not work. If the right turn signal goes out, the right does not work" lets say,(this is not my case, all my bulbs are fine I made sure by replacing them with some brand new bulbs I had laying around) if one of the bulbs go out in the rear for the right turn signal, does the other bulb not blink, same with the front, does the front right turn signal not work either? In my case when I turn the right turn signal on the dash light stays steady on that side, so it is most likely the turn signal switch from what I understand. Thank you again for the response your help is really appreciated. Anyone else have any input?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:38 PM

WwWdotanthony92 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLYoungHyphy View Post
Thank you for the quick reply, I understand that "If a left turn signal goes out, the left does not work. If the right turn signal goes out, the right does not work" lets say,(this is not my case, all my bulbs are fine I made sure by replacing them with some brand new bulbs I had laying around) if one of the bulbs go out in the rear for the right turn signal, does the other bulb not blink, same with the front, does the front right turn signal not work either? In my case when I turn the right turn signal on the dash light stays steady on that side, so it is most likely the turn signal switch from what I understand. Thank you again for the response your help is really appreciated. Anyone else have any input?
If one of the two blinker bulbs were to go out or the front.. Yes you will lose blinkers on that side (they will just come on bright and not blink

'92 Caprice Classic
Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM

91cc

Did you find the problem, because i have the same exact problem on my 96 impala. No brake light except 3rd and my pass, rear signal not working.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:57 AM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

I want to clarify my statement. If any turn light bulb on a given side is burned out, or not making contact, that side will not blink. Even one bulb, be it front or rear will cause a no blink situation. None of the bulbs will blink on that side, even the good ones.

You have to make sure the bulb is making contact with the rivets on the bottom of the socket. You also have to make sure there is voltage at the contacts on the bottom of the socket. A good cleaning and regreasing of the bulbs is probably in order, because the old grease is usually hardened, and can interfere with the bulb/socket contacts.

You can tell which bulb is burned out or not working, because the individual bulb will not light up when you use the turn siginal, and the interior indicator light will stay on steady.

The turn signal switch not working will not show the "constant on" indicator on the dash. The light will be off.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.