What part is this leaking power steering fluid, pics inside - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-07-2010, 01:43 PM

BYB_CUZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What part is this leaking power steering fluid, pics inside

This under the upper radiator hose on the drivers side at the end of the shaft, is it any reason its difficult to replace?

2014 grand cherokee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 PM

cletus284 is an unknown quantity at this point

The part with fluid all over it is the steering gear box. Where's the fluid coming from? Most likely it is coming from a leak in one of the P/S hoses that attach to it. Find the source of your leak and post back.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus284 View Post
The part with fluid all over it is the steering gear box. Where's the fluid coming from? Most likely it is coming from a leak in one of the P/S hoses that attach to it. Find the source of your leak and post back.
So the steering box will leak because a hose is leaking? Ima try to check it out before the day is over.
2014 grand cherokee
Old 02-07-2010, 03:21 PM

ghetto wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartangion View Post
So the steering box will leak because a hose is leaking? Ima try to check it out before the day is over.
If its the high pressure line.. Yes.. Fluid will pour out if the hose has a split. Or an O ring blew out. (o rings under the flare nuts)Sometimes the steel lines rot out as well. Clean it all off.. Then look for a leak. You wont find a leak w/ a mess like that. Remove all the air intake tubing to get a better look.

To replace its a bit involved but you can do it... Getting acess to the high pressure line is the hardest... (Remove the alt and you dont have alot of room to turn a wrench + remove the line) At the box its easy. If the nuts are stuck on, Just cut the hard line and use a socket. Replace both the low and high pressure hoses at the same time.. Even if only one or the other is leaking

Last edited by ghetto wagon; 02-07-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto wagon View Post
If its the high pressure line.. Yes.. Fluid will pour out if the hose has a split. Or an O ring blew out. (o rings under the flare nuts)Sometimes the steel lines rot out as well. Clean it all off.. Then look for a leak. You wont find a leak w/ a mess like that. Remove all the air intake tubing to get a better look.

To replace its a bit involved but you can do it... Getting acess to the high pressure line is the hardest... (Remove the alt and you dont have alot of room to turn a wrench + remove the line) At the box its easy. If the nuts are stuck on, Just cut the hard line and use a socket. Replace both the low and high pressure hoses at the same time.. Even if only one or the other is leaking
Thanks, i wish i could find my haynes manual, but im going to go ahead and replace both the lines and see what happens, because i can barely get to the lines right now, it will probaly be easiest to just to replace em and go from there, Where do both the lines run?
2014 grand cherokee
Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartangion View Post
Thanks, i wish i could find my haynes manual, but im going to go ahead and replace both the lines and see what happens, because i can barely get to the lines right now, it will probaly be easiest to just to replace em and go from there, Where do both the lines run?
Gates replacemets will prolly run ya 40 45 for the set... I used them. Nice hoses. You will have to reuse your high pressure sensor so dont throw that out

The lines are easy to get to once you remove all the junk around them. I unbolt the ABS pump bracket too.. 1 nut, 2 bolts.

The biggest PITA is the line at the PS pump put its dooable. Put a bar on flare wrench, Give it a good crack and it will come off. Yall see the line when you look down above the AC compressor.. Once the alt is out you get a better view

Wipe all that crap off the box before you buy lines. The box has some seals and gaskets that COULD blow out

Last edited by ghetto wagon; 02-07-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Signature Section Moderator & CrossFire Club Ambassador of Kwan

Cracka Ass Crackuh is an unknown quantity at this point

Before you go replacing anything, make sure the nuts are tight. I had a leak from the gear box as well.... just turned out the return line was not tightened. Couple turns of a wrench and my problem was solved.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracka Ass Crackuh View Post
Before you go replacing anything, make sure the nuts are tight. I had a leak from the gear box as well.... just turned out the return line was not tightened. Couple turns of a wrench and my problem was solved.
having problems already cracka?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Signature Section Moderator & CrossFire Club Ambassador of Kwan

Cracka Ass Crackuh is an unknown quantity at this point

No sir, that was from my DCM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM

Well i started work about two weeks ago to get my car back on the road for the first time since last april. Finished both my power steering lines, changed the tranny cooler line that was leaking, My new wires came in from innovative wiring, New battery yesterday, and it suppose to snow tonight and tommorow when i finally was suppose to go out for a spin, Well i guess ill spend tommorow cleaning out my interior and trunk of tools, and finish trimming my new carpet correctly.

Will i experience any problems with driving with the egr hose not hooked up other than mpg? My block off plates wont arrive until the middle of next week.
2014 grand cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.