What are the best Spark plug/plugs wires for Performance? - Page 2 - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Performance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Banned

Jim Rockford is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Jim Rockford

Its started to be reported that AC delco wires have really gone down hill in qaulity, and don't be fooler by the larger numnber on the wires..8mm-10.5 mm that just means you are paying for more insulation, Its a waste on these cars, just get some taylors , or even jegs makes some f body lt1 wires that are a good price and well made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 09:48 AM

Chucks_96_DCM

I've been running Bosch Platinum +4's in all my vehicles.
I'm still have the original plug wires / Opti / and water pump in the Impala (44K miles). I have replacement parts for everything, but as long as I get good gas mileage why do it. I know changing the Opti and plug wires can be a real PITA.
Chuck
96 Impala DCM
02 Regency Silverado 5.3
84 Corvette
Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 AM

toomanytoyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to toomanytoyz

You could run into header interference problems with the big boots on the Taylor wires, so be sure you have the room for them.

For the record, with aluminum heads and CIA Budgets, you don't.

Believe it or not, I've had the best luck with Belden Gold and Autozone top-liners (Duralast Gold, maybe?).

I like the NGK TR55's in my Impala, but you gotta change them once a year. I run the regular old Bosch Platinums in the wagon. I've run those for YEARS (like 15) and never had a problem. I like that they don't have platinum pucks to worry about falling off, like some other recommended plugs. I may switch to those in the SS this year, too, because I don't plan on ever running nitrous in the car anyways.

95 WB4 -The Toasted Marshmallow- Quick and Fat, sorta like it's owner...
00 Sierra 2500 ECSB -The Big Slut- H2's & 33's, TB crank, CAI, Magnaflow, Cowl'd, etc...
94 Fleetwood -The Ill Brougham- Praise the Lowered! Satin Black, red wheels, whitewalls, glasspacks. 'Nuff said.
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"

LOWER IT!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:45 AM

katana1100 is on a distinguished road

Best plugs? I have Autolite double plats in my car with 50K miles and it still runs good. When I replace them,I'll replace with some iridiums, they are without a doubt, the best.
My '06 GTO came from the factory with iridium plugs. When I had it dyno tuned, I asked if they replaced the stock iridium plugs with new copper plugs. They didn't. So, they replaced them with brand new champion copper plugs and we did some more dyno pulls.
Same temp/humidity conditions, so how did they do against these old iridium plugs with 18k miles? Not good!
On each pull, the car put out about 1.5hp less than with the old iridium plugs. You can quibble about the negligible amount of power, but fact is that a new plug should clearly outperform an old plug.These plugs also last well too. I went through a set of the overlly hyped ngk copper plugs and after 17k miles, I can say that I noticed no difference in performance over the plats, except at 17k miles when the idle was a bit off and the plugs were worn. I hate changing these plugs and for a stock motor, I recommend iridiums with a healthy dollop of antisieze goop on the threads and you won't have to look at them again for a long time.
'91 Katana 1100.
'11 Kawasaki Concours 14
Old 02-13-2010, 12:04 PM

udownwitk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to udownwitk

i have red MSD 8.5mm wires and AC delco plugs. been runnin smooth ever since.
1996 Impala SS 118K miles: Gen II Tri-Y's, No Cats, Yukon 3.73 w Auburn Pro series, bored 52mm TB w/ Air Foil/Bypass, Flowmaster Amer. Thunder, 8.5mm MSD wires, Delco Plugs, C3Fab Extended Arms, Vogtland springs, Bilsteins, AIR Delete, PCMforless Tune, LT4 KM, Hypertech 160* stat, Viper Alarm, Impala #31,960 Built: 9-13-96

Old 04-16-2010, 09:35 PM

HUF is on a distinguished road

Has anybody tried these wires?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 AM

SSaxman

I run Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm wires with the '96 Delco double platinum plugs.
1995 DGGM; Herter PCM, SSRI, FB, HP, AIR, Cat delete; LT4 KM, MSD Coil/Ign, Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm wires, Edelbrock 52mm TB, CIA Gen II Tri-y's, Pypes X, Flowmaster 40's, Dynomax OTA's, F-Body EGR, GMPP 1.6 RR's w/heavy duty valve springs; Hotchkis springs, Energy/Moog front end, Monroe SS shocks, Spohn RLCA's, B-Body Performance sway bars; Eaton posi w/3.42 and Yukon axles, braided stainless brake lines, Baer GT front brakes w/C5 Z06 calipers, stealth brake bolt; SSLED, sequentials, wig-wags.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 AM

podeveryday is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post
You could run into header interference problems with the big boots on the Taylor wires, so be sure you have the room for them.

For the record, with aluminum heads and CIA Budgets, you don't.

Believe it or not, I've had the best luck with Belden Gold and Autozone top-liners (Duralast Gold, maybe?).

I like the NGK TR55's in my Impala, but you gotta change them once a year. I run the regular old Bosch Platinums in the wagon. I've run those for YEARS (like 15) and never had a problem. I like that they don't have platinum pucks to worry about falling off, like some other recommended plugs. I may switch to those in the SS this year, too, because I don't plan on ever running nitrous in the car anyways.

I'm about to install tri-y's and change my plugs on my 27k ss.I was about to buy some tr55's until i read this. Why do you have to replace them once a year?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 AM

stratman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to add that since I'm on my 2nd '96 SS and have to REINSTALL my CIA Gen II Tri-Y Headers that means I also may as well do plugs again since when I originally had my few mods (Headers&hi flow cats, intake, 1.6RRs, beehive valvesprings, F-body MAF, LT4 KM) that upon getting a tune I questioned Bryan about plugs and recommended to me The Autolite 104's and I got em in double plat and the car ran great the whole time...
So awhile back I recontacted him about a friends new-to-him '93 Z28 LT1 on a tune and recommended plugs and he mentioned really liking new Autolites they have that are Iridium so I believe that equivalent part# would be XP104 so I will probably try them out when I get to reinstalling my headers
Old 11-08-2010, 06:42 AM

DiGGM95 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by podeveryday View Post
I'm about to install tri-y's and change my plugs on my 27k ss.I was about to buy some tr55's until i read this. Why do you have to replace them once a year?
How many miles do you put on your car a year? Copper plugs (basic TR55's) last around 30k miles (alot faster than rare metal variations like platinum or irridum, if the plug quality is any count).

I like the basic TR55's, and changing plugs on my car doesn't bother me at all, so I save a decent amount of money. If I didn't care for plug changes or if they were extremely difficult to do, I'd cough up the $ and go back with a platinum/irridum set and be done with them for awhile. -Id hope for at least 60k miles, but that seems like asking for too much lol!

1995 Caprice 9C1
1995 GMC Yukon
2003 **** CVPI
2009 **** CVPI
Youtube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.