Top Post Battery Conversion Q's - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Electrical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-09-2010, 08:49 AM

'94 9C1 Novice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Top Post Battery Conversion Q's

I need a new battery and am sick of trying to move things around so I can get those tiny screws into the battery from the side. I want to convert to a top post battery but have a few questions.

1. Would I need to replace any stock wiring?
2. Can I cut the stock wiring and just use a top post harness?
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM

JohnPi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by '94 9C1 Novice View Post
I need a new battery and am sick of trying to move things around so I can get those tiny screws into the battery from the side. I want to convert to a top post battery but have a few questions.

1. Would I need to replace any stock wiring?
2. Can I cut the stock wiring and just use a top post harness?
Have you tried looking for the side-post battery tool? You can get a special ratcheting wrench that will get that on and off easily. Would be easier and cheaper then trying to change your harness.
Currently 40,000+ miles
2.56 L/S, FE1
Modifications: Added SS Rear Sway Bar, 2.5" exhaust w/ FloPro 3-Chamber fully welded mufflers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM

'94 9C1 Novice is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't tried that yet. I would like to convert it because I've already butchered the rubber to accomodate the stereo wiring.

I was wondering if I could cut off the existing connector and replace it with one of these for each side and buy a top post battery.

Last edited by '94 9C1 Novice; 03-09-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:45 PM

92SS wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Sears and Autozone are the only ones I know of that carrry a top and side mount on one battery still.

I converted mine to a side because of the stereo,air ride,etc. I just cut the ends of the wiring and bought copper plated ones at the hardware store. It gets better voltage, looks much cleaner and is actually cheaper to do.
92 Caprice Wagon,PPG Pearl White paint,shaved roof and rear bumper,Katskinz 2-tone leather interior,Riviera console w/B&M floor shifter,3 pillar gage pod,350TBI w/Stage II tranny,Dynomax headers,2.5" Frankenstein exhaust w/Flowmaster 40's, Hotchkis bars, Panasonic in dash DVD w/flip screen and 16 MB Quart speakers,KILLER-B Speakers Pods, 4-15" Savard Rap subs,AudioControl EQ/X-over, and 3000watts of REAL amps.Bagged on 20" torq Thrust II's.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3089619
Old 03-09-2010, 08:13 PM

SS964mo

They make adapters for that,

battery side to top post adapter

They are about $6.00 a pair at Auto Zone.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:07 AM

defdaboss is on a distinguished road

interesting adapter. i never bother to see something like that. as long as the wire is long enough to reach over it's not so bad. only thing that bother me is the positive terminal is exposed so much so unless u gonna tape it to protect any ground from touchin it, its a bad idea.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 AM

Dustan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dustan
Wink He is growing up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaboss View Post
only thing that bother me is the positive terminal is exposed so much so unless u gonna tape it to protect any ground from touchin it, its a bad idea.
You make me proud, thats the best thing you have said on this forum.....
Impala SS Owners Association of Hawaii (ISSOAH)
Originally Posted by Cracka Ass Crackuh
"Yea. You're wearing my underwear backwards. SO the hersey highway is on the front with easy access to the rear"
Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 AM

bob94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustan View Post
You make me proud, thats the best thing you have said on this forum.....
im proud of him too....

1994 CHEVY CAPRICE
Lt1, with 52mm throttle body, k&n air flow, taylor 8.2 mm. wires, 160 hypertech, f-body maf, long tube headers, 2.5 exhaust, spintech super prostreet mufflers, H pipe, 4.10 gears, eaton true-trak posi, march performance pulleys, pcm tune by PCMFORLESS, sprints, Lil Ron Auto Fashion House(painter), Z28 cluster from bob94, more mods to come...

Bmac1970@gmail.com Z28 Cluster Builder

Last edited by bob94; 03-10-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 AM

crerus75 is on a distinguished road

We used to call these

"leave me sitting" battery terminals, because they often develop corrosion where the cables attach and lead to a no-start. My truck has these, and when I replaced the battery I took them off the battery cables. The cable ends (between the strands of wire) were full of corrosion and battery acid residue. Took some scrubbing with baking soda to get everything clean again. If you're replacing the cable ends, I strongly recommend you use crimp-on or solder-on ends. Here's a how-to video on soldering cable ends:

As far as dual-post (top and side post) batteries, I know Deka tried them a few years ago. We carried them in a shop where I worked. I thought they were a great idea, but Deka had nothing but trouble with them. For some reason, the connections to the dual posts would fail internally. You'd test the battery using the side posts and it would test bad, then you'd test it again using the top posts and it would test good. Drove more than a few people (including me) nuts. Probably no longer an issue, but something to keep in mind if a dual-terminal battery gives you trouble.

I've never had trouble with the top-post to side-post adapters, but as someone else pointed out there is a lot of metal hanging out there waiting for a short. It is a good idea to cover as much of the adapter as possible with tape as suggested. I'd also put a film of grease on each electrical connection (adpater to battery and adapter to cable). There are special greases that are designed just for battery connections, but I usually use plain old lithium grease or petroleum jelly. Wipe off any excess to keep it from attracting stray dirt.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM

elbringit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crerus75 View Post
I've never had trouble with the top-post to side-post adapters, but as someone else pointed out there is a lot of metal hanging out there waiting for a short. It is a good idea to cover as much of the adapter as possible with tape as suggested. I'd also put a film of grease on each electrical connection (adpater to battery and adapter to cable). There are special greases that are designed just for battery connections, but I usually use plain old lithium grease or petroleum jelly. Wipe off any excess to keep it from attracting stray dirt.
I have a dual top and side post in my 1 ton and it works great. I have everything from the truck connected to the top posts and the inverter that I run connected to the side posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.