Fuel Pump access door ? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Interior
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-02-2010, 06:33 PM

chevyguy is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Pump access door ?

Has anyone made a fuel pump access door for an Impala / Caprice?
CALI-SS ,1995 BBB Murdered out, Powder Coated C5 Corvette Wheels, Cross Drilled / Slotted rotors F & R, Brake bolt mod, LS2 swap, psi converion harness, brp hotrods longtube ceramic coated headers, Hummer H3 oil pan, CAT Delete, 2.5 X-Pipe Exhaust, Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers, 160 Stat, Pro Built 4L65, and most important of all Tuned by TAD !!! More to come....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 PM

Dustan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dustan

Why would you want to? its only two disconnects, a vent hose and two bolts???
Pretty damn simple
Impala SS Owners Association of Hawaii (ISSOAH)
Originally Posted by Cracka Ass Crackuh
"Yea. You're wearing my underwear backwards. SO the hersey highway is on the front with easy access to the rear"
Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 PM

About to upgrade my fuel pump and was just exploring all possible options to simplify things. But, since its that simple, cool !!!
CALI-SS ,1995 BBB Murdered out, Powder Coated C5 Corvette Wheels, Cross Drilled / Slotted rotors F & R, Brake bolt mod, LS2 swap, psi converion harness, brp hotrods longtube ceramic coated headers, Hummer H3 oil pan, CAT Delete, 2.5 X-Pipe Exhaust, Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers, 160 Stat, Pro Built 4L65, and most important of all Tuned by TAD !!! More to come....
Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 PM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustan View Post
Why would you want to? its only two disconnects, a vent hose and two bolts???
Pretty damn simple
Then you have to get it out from under the car...lift it back up into place and rebolt it...all from under the car. Unless you have a lift it is a pain.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 06-02-2010, 07:28 PM

Buffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Buffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Kiehl View Post
Then you have to get it out from under the car...lift it back up into place and rebolt it...all from under the car. Unless you have a lift it is a pain.

I helped Goldy do his in a parking lot with a full tank> BE A MAN It's not that bad compared to some cars. Unless you're eating a fuel pump every year no need for an access door.

Exhaust Video Burnout!! New Quick Video!
ET: 13.5272 @99.33mph 1.82 60'

^^ Gone 7/12/09, but not forgotten
Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 PM

juniorwatson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to juniorwatson

I agree it's not hard at all. What makes the job a piece of cake is to empty the tank as much as possible.

I did this by removing the filler neck at the tank and then using a siphon pump, like this one from Harbor Freight:

and ended up getting 15 gallons out of the tank before dropping it to the ground.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 PM

ghetto wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Dropping a tank on these cars was a lot easier then I thought. With a floor jack and a wood square to spread out the load of the jack, I removed and installed the gas tank by myself. Real easy.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
I helped Goldy do his in a parking lot with a full tank> BE A MAN It's not that bad compared to some cars. Unless you're eating a fuel pump every year no need for an access door.
Well now, being that your "Buffman" and all, it would come as no surprise to anyone that you did this task on your own.... and with a full tank as you claim ! HAHAHAHA. And I hardly think that dropping a fuel tank which I've done plenty of times, has anything to do with being a man ! My ability to do 8 reps with 405 lbs.... You may concider changing your name ! LOL !!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 PM

Sinister is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister

Hmmm, not sure why you made 2 different threads asking the same question, lol.

Yeah I did it on my sedan, it was below freezing, full of gas and sitting in the mud. It's a rusty beater that I could care less about appearance wise. Took about 15 minutes to replace the pump. Be careful though or you may cut the hard fuel lines.

If I had it to do over again I would have cut it better and hinged it. Like I said though it's a beater so I just RTV'd it back in place.

I wouldn't do this to a nice clean SS, (Caprice either really) unless done very carefully and properly. Which is kinda hard to do because of the floor pan shape, unless you make a huge hole.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Hmmm, not sure why you made 2 different threads asking the same question, lol.

Yeah I did it on my sedan, it was below freezing, full of gas and sitting in the mud. It's a rusty beater that I could care less about appearance wise. Took about 15 minutes to replace the pump. Be careful though or you may cut the hard fuel lines.

If I had it to do over again I would have cut it better and hinged it. Like I said though it's a beater so I just RTV'd it back in place.

I wouldn't do this to a nice clean SS, (Caprice either really) unless done very carefully and properly. Which is kinda hard to do because of the floor pan shape, unless you make a huge hole.
Wasn't sure where to put the thread, so I put it in the 2 places I thought it would hold relevance . At least this gives me an idea where to cut and install a proper door panel. Thank you very much for the picture. I have one done on my Third Gen Camaro and it saves me about 3 hours of work, and so will be the case with the Impala as well !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.