Stickied: fuel line repair - quick connectors - Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-07-2010, 07:20 PM

eqs_ss
Default Stickied: fuel line repair - quick connectors

I have been working on changing the fuel pump but have run into a problem with the connectors for the fuel line to the sending unit. Both lines are rusted.
I purchased the Dorman 800-120 and 800-121 quick connectors for both lines 5/16 and 3/8

Do I need the Dorman tool 800-301 to install these on the stock OEM lines? Or can I just clamp these down with fuel line clamps?

Help is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 11:41 PM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

Pics would help. If the lines on top of the tank are severly rusted, you may have to replace the fuel sender assembly. The lines going from the tank to the front of the car are nylon, but have metal ends, which are not reparable without proper tools.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 AM

eqs_ss

I am talking about the lines going from the tank to the front of the car and fuel filter.
I would like to replace the line ends/connections with the doorman quick connectors.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

I checked the Dorman tool 800-301 and, you would have to use it to insert the barbed end into a nylon line.

It would probably be wise to replace the entire line. You may run into leaking ends with the old nylon line, because it takes the shape of the old ends, and hardens over time. The cost of the nylon fuel line to replace the old ones is insignificant at the point of replacing the ends, and buying the tool. You could even offer the service of making lines for others to recoup your costs.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 08-08-2010, 08:52 AM

eqs_ss

The connectors I have from Dorman 800-121 and 800-120 do not have barbed ends like the plastic quick connectors do.

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Dorm...47469/Cat/1291

Can you tell me where I can get the lines because the 2 lines I need are from the tank send to the fuel filter and the one from the tank to the front of the car I will assume to the fuel rail.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 AM

eqs_ss

Just to update this thread and give some info.

The the Dorman 800-120 and 800-121 quick connection ends used in conjuction with the nylon fuel line is the way to go.

I will be a cutting off 1" off the rusted connecttion end on my fuel line and installing the new Dorman connection.

I will also attempt to install it without the Dorman 800-301 tool.

You can simply heat the nylon tubing with hot water and lube the end of the connector with motor oil and slide it in.

If that does not work I have another option up my sleeve.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Terry #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqs_ss View Post
Just to update this thread and give some info.

The the Dorman 800-120 and 800-121 quick connection ends used in conjuction with the nylon fuel line is the way to go.

I will be a cutting off 1" off the rusted connecttion end on my fuel line and installing the new Dorman connection.

I will also attempt to install it without the Dorman 800-301 tool.

You can simply heat the nylon tubing with hot water and lube the end of the connector with motor oil and slide it in.

If that does not work I have another option up my sleeve.
Keep us posted on your results. I have a fuel pump to change, and I am dreading the kinds of issues you have. I would feel more comfortable with my job if I knew how you have done.
36U Bonnat Silver Metallic built 7/19/95
1 1995 1A2
36U Bonnat Silver Metallic
2001 Camaro B4C SOB -- one of 288
2008 Z06 Jetstream Blue built 10/11/07
Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 PM

eqs_ss

Well the issues I have is rust. If the connectors were not rusted to the point of crumbling in my hands I would not be doing all this. I already have taken the fuel tank out and replaced the pump.

Now since I have it apart I will be using some POR rust inhibitor paint under the chassis.

I had a tool to disconnect the tank fuel lines and a while back when I replaced the tank straps I replaced the bolts and nuts with stainless steel and that made life real easy removing the tank strap this time around.

I'll let you know how I fair on the replacemet of the connectors.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM

sdstick

I replaced mine with the plastic barbed fittings & clamps.
No leaks worked fine.
I cant attest to how long they'll be fine but it was cheap & fast.
If I ever smell gas, I'll know where to check.
Steve
Old 08-14-2010, 10:44 PM

eqs_ss

Update!!!

OK I have installed the connectors on the OEM lines and this is what I have found:

1. The Dorman 800-121 for the 3/8" fuel line installs as designed.
2. The Dorman 800-120 for the 5/16" fuel line does NOT! The design is wrong and no way will that go on the stock OEM nylon fuel line. It's looks like it's made for a fuel rubber line rather than nylon plus it's too big in diameter even if it says fits 5/16"
3. I used NAPA 730-5617 plastic connector instead for the 5/16" fuel line. Apparently they have more than one size connector with the same part number. The difference being the connection to the sending unit line. So bring your old connector and match it up.The diameter where the o-ring has to match the old connector.

How did I press them on to the line without Dorman tool 800-301?

1. I took 2 pieces of wood that are 2" thick and 7" long.
2. I lined them up together face to face like a sandwich in a vice.
3. I drilled a 5/16" hole between the two halves.
4. Drilled another 3/8" hole 2" down from the previous hole. Now you have two halves of wood each containing half a circle of the hole.

What you just built is the jig that will hold your fuel line when you tap in the connector.

5. Warm up some water in a pot and take it off the stove right before it boils.
6. Place the end of the fuel line in the pot of hot water for 10 minutes.
7. Place the fuel line in the half hole of the piece of wood and let it stick out 1.5" off the edge.
8. Clamp the two halves of wood with a 'C' clamp and line them up so that fuel line is perpendicular to the 2 halves of wood.
9. Smother a bit of petroleum jelly or motor oil on the connector end.
10. Remove the plastic retainer from the connector if it has one
11. Push in the end of the connector in the fuel line to get it started maybe 1/4" inward.
12. Take a 2x4 piece of wood and place it square in front of the connector head
13. Use a hammer and tap in the connector by striking the 2x4 piece of wood.
14. As the connector slides in you will need to move the fuel line out so that you can continue tapping in the remaining part of the connector.

So that's how I put the connectors on the fuel line.

I had the line removed up to the fuel filter.

Last edited by eqs_ss; 09-19-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.