car now only starts after I disconnect the battery and reconnect - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-17-2010, 05:52 PM

-Andrew-
Default car now only starts after I disconnect the battery and reconnect

please help i really rely on my vehicle

I have been having this issue but I don't know if it is related to whats happening today. For the past month I have been having troubles starting my car sometimes it will fire up then stall right away, and start it again then its fine... other times it will really stumble

Today, my car was fine in the morning to get to work, I went to start my car after work, and nothing, it wouldn't even turn over. So I disconnected the battery then it starts, I thought it was fine, I stop and get gas, went to start it after and nothing, so I disconnected the battery again, started it up, got home, shut off my car then started it again after 5 seconds, it started so I thought it was fine, 10 mins later I went to start it, and its not even turning over again....

thanks if anyone can help

Last edited by -Andrew-; 08-17-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 PM

oldkoot is on a distinguished road

Start by getting the battery tested.
94 Caprice Wgn,DCM,C5 corvette brakes,impala SS 17" rims,kumho tires,flowtech headers,pcm for less,ram-it,pioneer sound sys,hooker aero chambers,gauge pod,b&m floor shifter, full tint,Eibach springs,sway bars,3.73 yukon gears,eaton posi,14.2@97mph without a tail wind.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:34 PM

HUF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkoot View Post
Start by getting the battery tested.
Ditto. Something drains your battery or the battery does not keep the charge. When you disconnect it you prevent draining and let the battery regain some charge. That's why the car starts after that.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 PM

-Andrew-

Sorry, but some how it had something to do with my old alarm that was still installed, I took out the fuses to the alarm and my car works now, maybe it had something to do with the remote start? I should have told you earlier I ruled out the fact the battery could be dead when I saw that all my accessories worked fine, and it was holding a charge, and it started no problem after disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds..

I wouldn't have posted on here for a dead battery, come on guys that's the first thing I checked

Thanks for the replies, I hope someone can learn from this.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 PM

grandpas wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Andrew- View Post
Sorry, but some how it had something to do with my old alarm that was still installed, I took out the fuses to the alarm and my car works now, maybe it had something to do with the remote start? I should have told you earlier I ruled out the fact the battery could be dead when I saw that all my accessories worked fine, and it was holding a charge, and it started no problem after disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds..

I wouldn't have posted on here for a dead battery, come on guys that's the first thing I checked

Thanks for the replies, I hope someone can learn from this.
The low tech idiots who design and the amateur flunkies who install cheap alarm systems should all be lined up up against a wall and shot. I have seen so many messed up electrical systems because of this it makes me puke........then there's the cheap ones that go off after any light rain, or whenever they feel like it, at 2 AM, etc..........
1994 RMW 69K, clear corners, Gary's cables - battery, headlight, mech fan delete, air pump delete, home plate/first base delete, Bill Harper wiper arm mod, Corvette starter, 1LE elbow, Team SS pipe, K&N filter swiss cheese airbox, throttle body bypass, AutoMod Atlanta headlights.

All my posts contain 100% recycled electrons.

Last edited by grandpas wagon; 08-22-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.