Parking Brake Release - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91 thru 96 B-body Model Specific > Fleetwood
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-18-2010, 01:10 PM

cason234
Default Parking Brake Release

Hello all,

I've had my Fleetwood for a year and a half, and one thing on it has never worked, but I'd like to fix it..... the parking brake.

If I put my foot on the parking brake lever and push it to the floor, it simply pops right back up and will not stay depressed. I can tell that it will hold the car (just to check, I've pushed on the lever while the car was in gear), but the lever won't 'catch'..... ie: it just jumps back to the 'released' position and won't stay down (in other words, the problem is at the front of the car, not the brakes themselves).

Any others experience the parking brake not catching? Is it possibly a vacuum issue? I've never really looked into how it functions, but I figure before I rolled up my sleeves, I'd check the list here.

Thanks in advance for your help!
1994 Hardtop - Black on Black / 4.10's / Auburn Posi / Trifecta PCM / Corvette starter / 1G starter cables / Traction Control relocate / Denny's Aluminum Driveshaft / Hotchkis Springs / Bilstein Shocks / BMR Sway Bars / C3 Fabrication LCA's / SS Wheels / MOMO 10" Steering wheel / Homemade CAI / Black Troll Hair seatbelt pillars / Summit Turbos / cat delete / 3" stainless tailpipes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 PM

96 Black is an unknown quantity at this point

Try it in Park. There may be a feature that auto releases it in any gear.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Oh Bob, It's So Big And Long!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
\'96 BBB: SSRI, Herter Tune, Tri-Y II, SLP SS, 3000 Edge, F/HO bars, METCO extendeds, Bilsteins, currently Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (315/35 rear)
\'95 FTSS: total mono gray, SSRI, Anthony tune, Aero catback/H/resonators, SS bars and coils, Hotchkis LCAs, Bilsteins/Airlift 1000, NL rear discs
Old 10-18-2010, 08:53 PM

skill3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem. I figured out it had to do with the tooth mechanism. I bought another parking brake assembly from a forum member. I replaced it and it works fine. After I got the non-working assembly out, I still couldn't figure out the problem. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

The ratchet assembly is not engaging the sector gear. You may have a sticky, or worn ratchet arm. Try shooting it with some WD40 or equivalent. The release arm may be bent or the cable end is caught on the wrong place.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 10-19-2010, 03:15 PM

cason234

Thanks guys.... I'll take a closer look at the mechanism itself. (BTW: this condition exists in any gear, Park or Neutral included)

appreciate the responses.
1994 Hardtop - Black on Black / 4.10's / Auburn Posi / Trifecta PCM / Corvette starter / 1G starter cables / Traction Control relocate / Denny's Aluminum Driveshaft / Hotchkis Springs / Bilstein Shocks / BMR Sway Bars / C3 Fabrication LCA's / SS Wheels / MOMO 10" Steering wheel / Homemade CAI / Black Troll Hair seatbelt pillars / Summit Turbos / cat delete / 3" stainless tailpipes
Old 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM

cason234

Quote:
Originally Posted by skill3 View Post
I had the same problem. I figured out it had to do with the tooth mechanism. I bought another parking brake assembly from a forum member. I replaced it and it works fine. After I got the non-working assembly out, I still couldn't figure out the problem. Good luck!
Was this tough to get at? How much work involved? I'm comfortable tackling anything, but it sure looks like it's buried in there!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:04 PM

skill3 is an unknown quantity at this point

It wasn't that difficult. I did it completely by myself, but a helper would be nice. I started by unbolting the top nut from the firewall in the engine compartment. There is also a bolt that goes from the assembly to the kick panel area (at least I think there is). The easiest way to remove the brake cable is after unbolting the assembly. Reverse to install. I would buy the replacement assembly first. Having it in hand gives you a guide. I think it took me about 30 minutes to do the whole process.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 PM

joflewbyu2 is on a distinguished road

Same problem. Going to investigate mine in the AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:41 AM

joflewbyu2 is on a distinguished road

Just got to it this morning. Took the under dash cover off and shined a flash light. Noticed the slack in the parking handle cable. The lever was rusted. Sprayed lubricant and back in business. Worked the lever a little and works like a charm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.