Foot on gas pedal to start - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-05-2011, 11:51 PM

Young Steph is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Foot on gas pedal to start

I have a 96 RMS with an OBD1 pcm an here lately I have to hold my foot on the throttle slightly an turn the key to start the car otherwise it will just crank an not start at all. I have a fresh tune up, MSD coil, MSD 6A Box and a fresh pcm tune by a reputable tuner. It just started out of no where. Once the car is started you're fine to go. I talked to my Programmer an he said something about the IAC could be clogged or it could be the weather conditions making it stick either way I'm open for advice. Almost forgot No Service Engine Light has came on at all.
96 Roadmaster fresh rebuilt lt1 with a cc503, f-body aluminum heads (slight port work), cc 1.6 pro magnums, cc valve springs, msd coil, march undrive, summit headers, mech fan delete, blah blah blah, ect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 12:32 AM

grandpas wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Even though you say it runs well, I would do a fuel pressure test. You should not have to press gas pedal to start.
1994 RMW 69K, clear corners, Gary's cables - battery, headlight, mech fan delete, air pump delete, home plate/first base delete, Bill Harper wiper arm mod, Corvette starter, 1LE elbow, Team SS pipe, K&N filter swiss cheese airbox, throttle body bypass, AutoMod Atlanta headlights.

All my posts contain 100% recycled electrons.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 AM

I'll do a fuel pressure test asap. Thank you. My gas mileage is terrible too, I'm getting roughly 9-10mpg city. NOT GOOD
96 Roadmaster fresh rebuilt lt1 with a cc503, f-body aluminum heads (slight port work), cc 1.6 pro magnums, cc valve springs, msd coil, march undrive, summit headers, mech fan delete, blah blah blah, ect
Old 02-06-2011, 02:45 AM

coppcarz

Had that problem for 3 years, but finally replaced the Idle air control valve, and it solved the problem, and the car wouldn't stop shutting off during idling anymore....
Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 AM

RatSSled has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Sounds like a bad sensor, connection or ground for the ECT sensor up at the water pump. If the PCM doesn't get an accurate reading for coolant temp, it defaults to -40f (or something like that) and it goes pig rich. It will make it hard to start unless you floor the gas pedal, and it will give you crappy gas mileage.
96 DGGM Wagon - Spun bearing, headed for the scrap yard!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM

94MI9C1 is on a distinguished road

Yeah what Rat said, usually is the water pump sensor is AFU both the fans will run after a certain time, I think it is 10 or 20 seconds or something. Also another thing to think about is a stuck injector, flooding the cylinder with the throttle blades closed there isn't enough air to fire it. Does it smell like it is running really rich?
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1, 126,000 miles, T56, 4.10's

C6 Grandsport Brake Install C6 Z06 Wheels T56 Installation Manual
Old 02-06-2011, 03:22 PM

It doesnt smell rich unless you let it crank a whilr then put your foot down to start it. You get a nice little cloud after that but if you just start with about 1/4 throttle your fine. The gas mileage is killing me though.

Last edited by Young Steph; 02-06-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:01 PM

Choose1 is on a distinguished road

You may have a stuck/leaky fuel injector. I recently had similar issues; very poor fuel economy (8-10 mpg), I also had to hold the gas pedal to start the car. Turned out I had a leaking fuel injector, replaced the injector and now it starts 1st crank without pedal. As for fuel economy I'll have to go through another tank before I can verify improvement.

Sgt Guster

96 SS- CC 503, P&P AL Heads, CIA Tri-Y's, 58mmTB, Yank SC3000

C5 Corvette Vert- Forged Stroker 408, Custom Comp Turbo Cam, Stg 2.5 Patriot 317 Heads, C6Z06 Exhaust, Lambo's, STS Twin Turbo>>>>> No dyno or tune yet, expecting........ 700+RWHP
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM

The weird thing is once the car has ran an is warm it starts up immediately with no throttle at all. I hope its not an injector issue my budget is tight right now but with my luck that will be the problem
Old 02-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Terry #585

I recently had the foot to the floor issue and it turned out to be the ETS (Engine Temperature Sensor) in the water pump. Dumb computer thought it was -40*. The carbon from running rich fouled an intake valve and I had to take off the head and get a valve job to fix it. I was throwing parts at it, and it wasn't until I got a scan tool on it that we (I needed help) found the problem. Test and diagnose before throwing parts at it.

Donít do as I do, do as I say.
36U Bonnat Silver Metallic built 7/19/95
1 1995 1A2
36U Bonnat Silver Metallic
2001 Camaro B4C SOB -- one of 288
2008 Z06 Jetstream Blue built 10/11/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.