Loose steering - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Suspension
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 PM

ergoman is on a distinguished road
Default Loose steering

I'm trying to figure this out currently. I just purchased a 94 SS and at slow speed it feels like it wanders (below 40mph) at 60 not nearly so much. I turned the key and the steering wheel has about 4-5" of travel. The telescoping shaft clicks at the top and the top joint can be wiggled up/down by hand (not linear with the shaft but perpendicular to it). When the steering wheel is turned hard L/R the pitman will barely move and it appears that it moves about 1/8" side to side and pulls down on the joint about 1/16th or so, (only when the steering will is turned hard to the L/R). Do you think its the upper bushing? shaft? box? pitman joint? Any suggestions on how to diagnose? I've searched for similar posts and thats what lead me to do the things above. Not sure what to do to isolate the issue. The car has 135k miles, very clean outside. One owner. Just had it at the dealer specifically asked them to check the front end components, all they found were bad shocks and loose wheel bearings. They stated none of the components were loose. Shocks were replaced with the recommended severe duty Monroe's I read about on here. Sorry for the long first post, thank you for your thoughts.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Crime Scene 96 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum guy...

I've been having similar issues as well with steering rattle. I had a alignment done yesterday, new front end, and tie rods recently. With the alignment alone (to me) kinda stiffed things up a little bit. The steering and rattling is at a descent minimal. So I would recommend this if you haven't all ready. I see you are from Michigan. And my car (96 SS) has spent most of its years there also until I purchased it from the last owner here in GA.

So all that to say, the salt life might have a factor into some things as well. Do you have any rusting parts? I would check your upper and lower control arms. And replace any bushings which might be the overall problem.

1996 Chevy Impala SS DGGM -
Replaced BBB on 4/30/2012
Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 PM

mega is on a distinguished road

when i got my caprice it had about 4-5 in as well i replaced the idler arm, helped a little so i did all four tie rods including the adjusting sleeves and it did almost correct it but after i replaced all four shocks is when i noticed the biggest difference. it is nice and smooth no wander drives staight as an arrow. all i got to do left is ball joins only uppers are alittle worn but if i got it apart why not do lowers as well. i would jack the front up so tires are free grab em and wiggle if you have any play u got a problem. top and bottom play is balljoints and left and right is tierods but not limited to idler arm. all of em are very easy to replace and if ya need pics or info just ask me.also goood point on the bushings on the a arms.

Last edited by mega; 02-24-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added
Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM

cletus284 is an unknown quantity at this point

There should be NO slop from the intermediate shaft to the wheels. Sounds like your intermediate shaft and center link are bad (Pitman arm is not a wear item on these cars). You should jack the car up and check the idler arm and tie rods for play as well. After replacing these parts, an alignment is absolutely necessary.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 PM

mega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus284 View Post
There should be NO slop from the intermediate shaft to the wheels. Sounds like your intermediate shaft and center link are bad (Pitman arm is not a wear item on these cars). You should jack the car up and check the idler arm and tie rods for play as well. After replacing these parts, an alignment is absolutely necessary.
i completely agree after reading more of the post carefully lol nobody everdoes that huh. but as it sounds i wouldn't drive it
Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 PM

allwestss is on a distinguished road

i was dealing with the same issue about a month ago and almost replaced the pitman and other parts but thanks to the guys on this site i found it was just the center link,, fixxed it right up
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 PM

harriSScutty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus284 View Post
^^^^^
I had the same problem when I purchased my car and I replaced everything in that post. For extra stiffness I also added the jeep shaft mod.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 PM

Location: South Central Texas....By Way of the South Side of Chicago!!!!!
KW Baraka is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriSScutty View Post
.........For extra stiffness I also added the jeep shaft mod.
Huh ?

KW

1996 BBB SS, 398ci SR

1995 DCM SS, 355ci

Old 02-24-2011, 10:25 PM

harriSScutty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
Huh ?

KW
To improve the durabilty
Is that better?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 PM

305classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriSScutty View Post
To improve the durabilty
Is that better?
yes, I don't have one on my car but the jeep steering shaft is just an all around better design than GM's crappy design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.