how much should a paint job cost - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Exterior
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 AM
ProTools4's Avatar
ProTools4 ProTools4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 4,349
ProTools4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ProTools4
Default how much should a paint job cost

What should a paint job cost in SoCal on a 96 B-body.

hi end and low end

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HI END
10 out of 10 equal or slightly beter than factory but not so nice I'm goint to cry the first time I plow a cone
96 DGGM - bone stock looking car has almost no damage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Low END
8 our of 10 paint job clean simple looks ok from 6 feet away
96 retired 9C1 - nice black or silver paint job, car has some minor dings and dents all police acc. are filled already
__________________
NotoriouSS Tad <-- up to no good!
96' ImpalaSS - Johhny 5 - 7.9 @ 89.07 1.734 - sshhhhh......
96' 9C1 - POS / DD / Beater - looking for 30MPG freeway~
67' El Camino - Rosie - 7.9 @ 86.5 1.77 60' on a street tire NA

Click here to check out my EFI tuning Blog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 AM
SEOK's Avatar
SEOK SEOK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 1,297
SEOK is on a distinguished road
Default

your covering a HUGE range of prices with that question.
Its all in the prep work. Most of the bill covers all the prep, it all depends on how much you want the shop to be involved in quality prep.
Not sure about down in Cali but I have a bodyman that paints a **** load of classics and hot rods, he will completely strip the old paint, do any metal work needed, block it out until its as straight as possible and shoot a nice base clear or candy if desired for around $3000, and thats his "deal price"! usually its around $5000. he wont paint a car if he doesnt get to do it all himself from stripped to wet.
then again, there is a shop around the corner that advertises Base/clear any car for $999. I went in to check it out, and that is for NO body work, NO stripping. Basically prep will play 90% of the final look.
Maybe do all the prep yourself and then take it in to one of the hole in the wall $999 type places. personaly I cant afford $3-5000 for paint so Ive been taking months to prep my 68 and gonna take it in and spend $999 when its ready
__________________
95 CAPRICE B4U WHT (SOLD)
6000K HIDs, LEDS, Steelies/Chromed caps W/ Coopers, Grey Bonnies, Gary's Wires, TB bypass, Air Pump delete, CAI, Dual Elec fans
68 BUICK SKYLARK 2D HT--2nd owner, all original, rust free 350/th350, almost ready for paint!
79 Eldorado Biarritz White on White, factory Olds 350
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 AM
BigB9000 BigB9000 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: No Name City (SoCal)
Posts: 6,611
BigB9000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to BigB9000 Send a message via AIM to BigB9000
Default

I took my 9c1 to macco, they did a great job!
So much I took my 2nd car there.
I figure someone's gonna rear-end me, or it'll get door ding and shopping carts, why for over the $?
__________________
1996 9c1 L99, now w/ LT1. 208k and counting.
1996 SS BBB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 AM
IMPALASS_RIDER's Avatar
IMPALASS_RIDER IMPALASS_RIDER is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,886
IMPALASS_RIDER is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to IMPALASS_RIDER Send a message via Yahoo to IMPALASS_RIDER
Default

in texas you looking at no less than 2500 and they say for that price you wont get a "good paint job" do its all in who you know.. im sure cali paint jobs are NOT cheap..
__________________
95 DCM < UNladie like *been down since jan 17th 2010*
95 BBB < SOLD *had a million problems but never let me down*
06 Silverado ss < 2MPG *always thirsty*
98 Accord < daily,, no more oil leak!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Narc 9c1's Avatar
Narc 9c1 Narc 9c1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,305
Narc 9c1 is on a distinguished road
Default

I just got quoted at $4,500, and that is if I remove all the molding and door handles myself.

I was looking for very nice paint, with a good clear coat and cut and buff.

I am also planning on changing the color of the car, so that included body work and jams.
__________________

95 9C1: Purchase Price: $1k -- AI 190cc Heads/cam, 355 Bottom End, 58mm BK TB, Intake Ported by AI, CIA Quad-1 Long Tubes w/ Export Pipes, Beefed up 4l60 w/ Yank SS3200 TC, 3:73s, Eaton Truetrac, SS Rearend, Eibach Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, PPM Front End, C3Fab 5/8 Extended Control Arms, SS Interior...
53 Studebaker Starliner: sold!
69 Grand Prix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 AM
BABYBLUE9C1's Avatar
BABYBLUE9C1 BABYBLUE9C1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 7,083
BABYBLUE9C1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOK View Post
your covering a HUGE range of prices with that question.
Its all in the prep work. Most of the bill covers all the prep, it all depends on how much you want the shop to be involved in quality prep.
Not sure about down in Cali but I have a bodyman that paints a **** load of classics and hot rods, he will completely strip the old paint, do any metal work needed, block it out until its as straight as possible and shoot a nice base clear or candy if desired for around $3000, and thats his "deal price"! usually its around $5000. he wont paint a car if he doesnt get to do it all himself from stripped to wet.
then again, there is a shop around the corner that advertises Base/clear any car for $999. I went in to check it out, and that is for NO body work, NO stripping. Basically prep will play 90% of the final look.
Maybe do all the prep yourself and then take it in to one of the hole in the wall $999 type places. personaly I cant afford $3-5000 for paint so Ive been taking months to prep my 68 and gonna take it in and spend $999 when its ready
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPALASS_RIDER View Post
in texas you looking at no less than 2500 and they say for that price you wont get a "good paint job" do its all in who you know.. im sure cali paint jobs are NOT cheap..
thats sounds pretty accurate what Seok amd Rider says, alot of the resto jobs go for around 5 grand, its alot of work, i know that first hand, 2500 hundred is for quality job, it all depends on the shop also

high end- $2500 and up
dents/ body damage taken care of
metal work if needed
sand entire car
spray the whole car with primer
block sand entire car
jams
prep car for paint, i.e. paper, masking, cleaning
painting then clearing, baking
color sand
polishing

finish will look like glass!!

some people dont understand ( i know i didnt at first)in all this, the price covers material (primer, paint, clear) tons of Labor (sanding, metal fab, car prep, polishing paint prep)


low end-$800 and lower
subtract color sand and polish, very good prep, tiny dent repair


ive seen the difference between quality and crap, my buddy took his thunder bird to one a day( i told him to go somewhere else and spend lil more) he spent 600 and it looked like sh1t, they painted the dirt on the bottom molding of his car..nuff said. if its for a daily your not too worried about go low end, if its for your pride and joy go high end
__________________


So Cal INC
1996 Caprice 9c1
5-15-1996


R.I.P. David Fornwalt...burnin' rubber from up above

Last edited by BABYBLUE9C1; 03-14-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-14-2011, 05:23 PM
2ToNEwGn's Avatar
2ToNEwGn 2ToNEwGn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CALI SS
Posts: 69
2ToNEwGn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYBLUE9C1 View Post
thats sounds pretty accurate what Seok amd Rider says, alot of the resto jobs go for around 5 grand, its alot of work, i know that first hand, 2500 hundred is for quality job, it all depends on the shop also

high end- $2500 and up
dents/ body damage taken care of
metal work if needed
sand entire car
spray the whole car with primer
block sand entire car
jams
prep car for paint, i.e. paper, masking, cleaning
painting then clearing, baking
color sand
polishing

finish will look like glass!!

some people dont understand ( i know i didnt at first)in all this, the price covers material (primer, paint, clear) tons of Labor (sanding, metal fab, car prep, polishing paint prep)


low end-$800 and lower
subtract color sand and polish, very good prep, tiny dent repair


ive seen the difference between quality and crap, my buddy took his thunder bird to one a day( i told him to go somewhere else and spend lil more) he spent 600 and it looked like sh1t, they painted the dirt on the bottom molding of his car..nuff said. if its for a daily your not too worried about go low end, if its for your pride and joy go high end

^^^^^ This.
__________________
CALI-SS

1996 9c1- in pieces

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 PM
DeathmobileSS's Avatar
DeathmobileSS DeathmobileSS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: suddern caliphonia
Posts: 2,113
DeathmobileSS is on a distinguished road
Default



If you spend $2500 to paint your daily driver, the painter better look like this!

BTW, you gotta love Google....they have pictures for all kinds of ish!!!
__________________
Shawn
96 Impala SS- Stock factory short block, LPE211 cam, Heads Ported By Tad, TunedByTad, Vigilante, VacModded 4l60, 3.73, CIA headers, Full Bolt On's
07 TBSS
62 Suburban
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-15-2011, 12:59 AM
ProTools4's Avatar
ProTools4 ProTools4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 4,349
ProTools4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ProTools4
Default

Mopar chick huh
bet she has bad wiring!
__________________
NotoriouSS Tad <-- up to no good!
96' ImpalaSS - Johhny 5 - 7.9 @ 89.07 1.734 - sshhhhh......
96' 9C1 - POS / DD / Beater - looking for 30MPG freeway~
67' El Camino - Rosie - 7.9 @ 86.5 1.77 60' on a street tire NA

Click here to check out my EFI tuning Blog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Roadcaptain's Avatar
Roadcaptain Roadcaptain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: BluegraSS SState
Posts: 405
Roadcaptain is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm guessing it is around 2500-3000 everywhere, however I did take mine to a guy who said he would replace the hood and fender with quality parts, and fix a plate size dent in the door. 2700 bucks. I smiled and left as quickly as possible.

Seems like most body shops around here only want to do insurance work, and a lot of them will quote you high, just to get rid of you. Unless you are Allstate or somebody.
My friends brother owns a pretty busy body shop (He does 95 percent insurance work), he just got divorced and had to give his wife 6 rental houses and 750,000 bucks. What's that tell you?

There was a guy here on the forum that painted another members car for him for around 2500, had a nice long thread with the progress and pics, but I can't find it now. I think they were in Texas?
__________________
Bobby- ISSCA # 2410

1996 DCM SOLD! Build date 10/02/96
_________________________
"Quench my thirst with gasoline" Hetfield '97
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
(c) 2007-2014 Impala SS Forum