how much should a paint job cost - Page 2 - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Exterior
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-18-2011, 11:25 AM

SSandman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just watch who you go to! We do a lot of resto mod cars at my shop, take them all down, media blast the body...basically have them done from the ground up...we have two well known body shops that we use, but you wont believe the crap these guys pull...

Seriously, out of the fifteen or twenty body shops I have had experience with (working on cars they have repaired/painted) I think I have only seen one that didn't do some seriously corner cutting stuff.

Well, we say they cut corners but it's almost as if these shops don't know HOW to do it the right way. 6 pounds of bondo on BIG MONEY show cars because making metal nice the old fashioned way is obsolete. Not straightening out pinch moldings on big money show cars. Putting cars on lifts and seeing spots that weren't painted. These show cars that guys are paying LOTS of money for get thrown together with bondo and crap parts. In the end the paint looks great aside from all the small details missed, but it's not the right way to do things.

That's not even getting started on every day repaired cars I have seen

-wetsanded chrome trim because they were too lazy to remove it
-bubbling paint/peeling stickers just days after leaving the shop
-grille in a rear valance that was melted to the bumper instead of using any kind of legit way of fastening it. It fell off.
-lets not even get into the amazing mig work I have seen from body shops around here. I had better welds the first time I picked up a torch.

Alls im sayin is get to know whoever is doing the work before you bring your car there. I know your not building a show car but still, you don't want somebody cutting corners on you for the money you'd be paying...you should get what you pay for.
Sadly it seems like most body shops I have encountered were hack jobs. I don't know if they just aren't capable of doing things the right way, or just choose to cut corners (probably being spoiled by insurance company jobs) but the work is not good. We're talking about shops that paint Lambos, Ferraris and are known for high end restos too...

Scary but true thing I have learned....'most' body guys don't seem to care about 'right' and 'wrong' way of doing things around here. They care about end results. I wont lie, the work these guys put out comes out good to the average joe looking at it at a cruise night, but when you know something about it and realize how much money was spent...it's not so good anymore.
96 BBB Pro Touring- In the works- Mods list includes functional money incinerator, should have stuck to bolt-ons button, 100 dollars in mild steel MIG wire, a really expensive air compressor and a letter from Tire Rack saying nobody makes 335/35/17's anymore. (396/AI heads/D1SC)
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...formance+build --frame off build up thread
Old N/A setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZvPZi9fL8k 396, LE2 heads, TH400

Last edited by SSandman; 03-18-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Roadcaptain is on a distinguished road

I'm taking mine in next Wed. The body guy (a friend of a friend who owns a shop) looked at it, rubbed the bad spots, and asked all of the right questions.

You want back to factory or a show car job?
You want me to fix the hood and fender, or just get new stuff?
You want the good GM or certified parts, or the cheaper stuff?
Called his parts guy right then and told me his price was cheaper than the parts I was getting, and they were certified.
Etc.

Then he said she's going to have a little bondo, but not much, mostly because noone makes a good rear quarter.

"Get new SS script emblems, cause they look like **** if I paint over 'em."
(Bless you, Hamilton Chevy)

I've seen a GTO Judge and a 67 Mustang this guy did, and they were awesome. BUT, his main work comes from car lots.

Total estimate for Labor and Materials: Base DCM and two clear coats-$2,500

Said he's got one car to finish, then it should take him and his two guys about a week....I almost crapped my pants. I'm used to two-three months if they hurry. If I hadn't seen this guys work on some hot ass cars, I'd be worried.

1996 DCM SOLD! Build date 10/02/96

Last edited by Roadcaptain; 03-18-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 AM

ProTools4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ProTools4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSandman View Post
because making metal nice the old fashioned way is obsolete.
I did all the Rosie metal work myslef.
Welded the antena window holes, trim holes, dings, dents, and shotgun holes
the little mig dent puller deall is pretty legit too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa_bare_rosie.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	17725  
67' El Camino - Rosie - 7.9 @ 86.5 1.77 60' on a street tire NA

Click here to check out my EFI tuning Blog!

Last edited by ProTools4; 03-19-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:07 PM

ElSupremo is on a distinguished road

Around here a good paint job in the same color is gonna be about $2-2500. That's a standard job.

A 10 out of 10 would be considered top notch, one you wouldn't want to DD, and would probably start at $10k.

An 8 out of 10 would probably be $4-6000.

I've got 2 friends who each own their own shops. 1 of them won't touch a car for less than $5000, and that's his standard paint job. He tends to get a lot of cars shipped from all over the country to him for paint.

The other guy does all jobs, and a cheapy job is gonna be around $1000 for a weekend job, up to the skies the limit for restos.

But really, asking online for paint quotes is pretty hard. A lot depends on the materials, and a large part depends on the painter himself. Those with good reps for producing quality work are going to demand a premium over the average shop. You get what you pay for, and everyone is different on what they find acceptable.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Klez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTools4 View Post
I did all the Rosie metal work myslef.
Welded the antena window holes, trim holes, dings, dents, and shotgun holes
the little mig dent puller deall is pretty legit too!
Wow that was rough Tad. I can't believe it's the same car. Is there anything you can't do?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:23 PM

Bugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathmobileSS View Post

If you spend $2500 to paint your daily driver, the painter better look like this!

BTW, you gotta love Google....they have pictures for all kinds of ish!!!
Hey, that girl's not wearing a respirator. I bet she didn't even paint that herself.

As stated, quality paint is all about good prep. If you do ALL the prep work yourself, then the Maaco type jobs can someoimes work out well. My '55 still looks decent and is a 13 year old $199 Maaco job, but my buddy and I did everything but wrap it and paint it. On the cars we paint at work, we generally have around $1000 in just materials.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Nashsurecanpaint is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSupremo View Post
Around here a good paint job in the same color is gonna be about $2-2500. That's a standard job.

A 10 out of 10 would be considered top notch, one you wouldn't want to DD, and would probably start at $10k.

An 8 out of 10 would probably be $4-6000.

I've got 2 friends who each own their own shops. 1 of them won't touch a car for less than $5000, and that's his standard paint job. He tends to get a lot of cars shipped from all over the country to him for paint.

The other guy does all jobs, and a cheapy job is gonna be around $1000 for a weekend job, up to the skies the limit for restos.

But really, asking online for paint quotes is pretty hard. A lot depends on the materials, and a large part depends on the painter himself. Those with good reps for producing quality work are going to demand a premium over the average shop. You get what you pay for, and everyone is different on what they find acceptable.
+1, nuff said

Visit My Facebook page to see my shop pictures http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100003576533065
Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 PM

ssmutly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathmobileSS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTools4 View Post
Mopar chick huh
bet she has bad wiring!
Don't care how she's wired much, as long as her plumbing is intact!

1996 9C1...Mods....Lot's of 'em
1996 B4U...Mod's....Sure to get some
1955 Ford Thunderbird...Mods...She's gotta stay stock as a rock!
2003 Ford Taurus...Mods....I change radio stations once in a while
2009 Pontiac G8 GT...Mods...Don't have a clue.............yet
Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Nashsurecanpaint is on a distinguished road

I think the question has been answered, now I'll point out a few things about that picture that drive me nuts, they forgot to mask the license plate and exhaust tip and even the little emblem on the bed cover. Also notice there's no paint sprayed on the masking paper. Jeeeze

Visit My Facebook page to see my shop pictures http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100003576533065
Old 03-19-2011, 09:46 PM

ghetto wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Around here paint is around $2-3,000 for one of these cars... One place quoted me less if I sanded down the car myself (Which I DID) Anyway.. Months went by and nothing happened so I just painted it myself. If I can Can paint it decent.. I wonder what I could do with a real paint gun! Practice makes perfect...When the time comes around I will probably be painting it myself because NO ONE does anything good these days. If they do, they are a dying breed. If you want Great, do it yourself. I personally would always want my vehicle stripped down before paint.. Not PAINT over the old stuff.. When ever I paint it for real if when I ever have materials, I will use airplane stripper.

I would advise everyone to buy some minor body work stuff and try it. You can sand one of these cars down to factory primer easy with some gloves, Soapy water and a whole lot of wet dry paper. From there, Do what you want. It can only go one way. It will look better, Never worse.

Last edited by ghetto wagon; 03-19-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.