NO START? got fuel and spark? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-25-2011, 08:06 PM

FREIGHTLINER00 is on a distinguished road
Default NO START? got fuel and spark?

i purchased a 94' ss that has been sitiing for about 4 years, i got the car not running and with a bad fuel pump well, i dropped tank and changed out the pump and put new fuel in it as tank was completely empty i added 10 gallons of 93 octane with a guage on the rail i hear the pump come on and i have correct fuel pressure.

so i goto crank and it just turns over and wont turn on?

i pulled number 1 spark plug wire off to check for spark at the plug and i have spark and good spark at that. but it seems to be that the INJECTORS ARE NOT FIRING?

i checked the under hood fuse box and both fuel injection fuses are good as well as the EMI fuse what gives?

so i went to the auto parts store and bought a can of starting fluid to see if she will fire with help and sure enough she turn right on and quickly so i am stuck at the injectors not opening and firing fuel? how can i get around this problem and get her fixed has anyone else encountered this problem any help would be great i would love to get her fired up and stsrt driving it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 PM

and i am getting a redish orange type of spark either way the car turns over with the spark it has an the either so it should do the same thing with the fuel thats being sprayed with the same faint spark.

i dont have a way right now to check injector pulse but will try tomorrow.

why wont this thing start.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 PM

94MI9C1 is on a distinguished road

Prone failure point for the injectors is the harness, sometimes the feed to them breaks with in the harness, have you checked for voltage at one of the injectors with a meter? This would be a way to tell for sure if you have power. Pick up a node light at autozone they are cheap and see if it is firing after that.
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1, 126,000 miles, T56, 4.10's

C6 Grandsport Brake Install C6 Z06 Wheels T56 Installation Manual
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 PM

ergoman is on a distinguished road
Default ss

I think the spark under compression needs to be hot, (blue,white) that an orange spark is not going to work under compression. Could be wrong, it was a tractor when I asked the question.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:34 PM

so should i check the voltage with a multi meter? or should i buy the noid lite just to see if it flashes? will it serve the same pupose?

if it is the wire issue what would i do in order to go around it power up the injectors with a new wire from the under hood fuse box? where is it that they are prone to breaking the wire?by what part of the harness in the rear of the pass head? or driver head? do all the injectors get powered by the same wire and then just get a signal from pcm thru other wire to spray, i am almost certaint the injectors arent spraying fuel? why else would it start with starting fluid and not the same gas in the system and it has correct fuel pressure.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:36 PM

so if the spark is orange/red and is starting off of starting fluid then how do you explain that?

the same spark that is igniting with the starting fluid should start with the fuel or gas in the system unless the injectors arent spraying in order for the fuel to reach the cylinder and combust with the same reddish/orange spark.

i dont know if you get were i am coming from?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 PM

94MI9C1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREIGHTLINER00 View Post
so should i check the voltage with a multi meter? or should i buy the noid lite just to see if it flashes? will it serve the same pupose?

if it is the wire issue what would i do in order to go around it power up the injectors with a new wire from the under hood fuse box? where is it that they are prone to breaking the wire?by what part of the harness in the rear of the pass head? or driver head? do all the injectors get powered by the same wire and then just get a signal from pcm thru other wire to spray, i am almost certaint the injectors arent spraying fuel? why else would it start with starting fluid and not the same gas in the system and it has correct fuel pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREIGHTLINER00 View Post
so if the spark is orange/red and is starting off of starting fluid then how do you explain that?

the same spark that is igniting with the starting fluid should start with the fuel or gas in the system unless the injectors arent spraying in order for the fuel to reach the cylinder and combust with the same reddish/orange spark.

i dont know if you get were i am coming from?

Even if the spark is not optimal, it does fire with starting fluid, don't worry about right now, get it running on it's own then deal with that.

With a multimeter you can check the voltage, the noid light is going to tell you it is firing, obivously, as the meter isn't fast enough to read it.

Power is fed to all the injectors pretty much off the same wire, in some areas it is known to get brittle and can break down, the PCM provides the ground to fire each injector individually.

If you have power and the noid light doesn't flash that would indicate the PCM isn't saying to fire, I am pretty sure that the spark and injectors are off of the same resolution in the opti, but can't remember, could be a crappy opti or connection as well.
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1, 126,000 miles, T56, 4.10's

C6 Grandsport Brake Install C6 Z06 Wheels T56 Installation Manual
Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 PM

are you for real so this could still be an opti problem aw man? but when i keep it on with the starting fluid the car will stay running as long as i spray.

which wire is supposed to be the one to check voltage to as there are 2 wires going to each injector? also how much voltage should be going to each injetor?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:55 PM

could i just run a switched power with a fuse to the injectors and by pass the wire that powers them to see if its a shorted or broken wire and not the opti?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 PM

Rocko350 is on a distinguished road

Use a test light and unplug an injector. figure out which terminal has ignition hot. Then take the test light and put the ground lug on the battery hot terminal. probe the other pin in the injector connector while someone cranks. if the test light blinks the pcm is switching the injector on and off. If it doesn't blink, then there's a troubleshooting guide for just that. Let me find the link. BRB.

EDIT: In the stickies, follow the link and scroll down till you get to the point your at which is no fuel pulse diagnostics. Just read through till you find it.
http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...rt-diagnostic/
Chris

Last edited by Rocko350; 03-25-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.