Parking brake noise while driving?!? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Brakes
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 PM

subssonicimpalass
Default Parking brake noise while driving?!?

Ok, I need your guys input on this one. A while back I got into a accident, I slammed into a curb and the point of contact was my passenger rear wheel. Well they replaced alot of parts including the rear wheel, and a bunch of other stuff (I think the axle housing too). Sorry but I can't remember all that they did.

Well, I'm not sure if this is related but, shortly after that I had to take my car back twice because my parking break would stop working. Also I started getting a "squeak, squeak, squeak" sound coming from my passenger rear wheel.

Here is what I can tell you for sure:
It IS coming from my passenger rear wheel area.
When I depress the brakes it goes away.
The parking brake was set several times and keeps stop working.

Here is what I can have done (other than what the repair shop did):
I replaced the rotor on that side (wasn't sure if it was bent do to the accident)
I inspected the pads and saw that they still had life left (this was when I first noticed the problem)

Now I just went back to the shop and asked their opinion, and this is what the suggested:
Replaced the rear pads (now they are getting on the low side)
But they also suggested to lightly grind the edges of the pads off at a 45 degree angle (they said it would prevent the edge of the pads from rubbing the edge of the rotor and squeak)
They suggested replacing the parking brake shoes.

My thoughts are to replaced the rear pads (and round the edges???) and replace the parking brake shoes.

I'm self taught on doing auto work myself (and haven't done to bad so far do to this forum and all of your guys advice), but I'm not great at trouble shooting.

This weekend I can remove the wheel and rotor and post pics if that would be useful.

Thanks in advance!!!

'95 DCM Impala SS 125,000 miles
Jax INC
CAI, no cats, 2.5" exhaust with flowmasters and H pipe, 4:10 gears, Eaton posi, PCMFORLESS tune, airpump delete, bonnies, lowered on 22"s, tinted tails, GEN 2 Tri-y's, extended upper and lower rear control arms, Yank SS3600
Supercharged stroker underway!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Navy Lifer is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Is the H-clip in place in the rear caliper "window"?

2. Are the slide pins moving freely in their bores on the caliper abutment bracket?

3. Have you observed the rear wheel (on the side where the damage occurred) to determine that there is minimal or no runout (ie. is the wheel or rotor showing any sign of wobble?

4. Have you checked the axle shaft for excessive float (end play)--ie. lateral in/out motion.

History/search
ISSCA #127
inov8r@windstream.net
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 PM

subssonicimpalass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Lifer View Post
1. Is the H-clip in place in the rear caliper "window"?

2. Are the slide pins moving freely in their bores on the caliper abutment bracket?

3. Have you observed the rear wheel (on the side where the damage occurred) to determine that there is minimal or no runout (ie. is the wheel or rotor showing any sign of wobble?

4. Have you checked the axle shaft for excessive float (end play)--ie. lateral in/out motion.

History/search
1. I think it is but I will check it this weekend.
2. Yes, I replaced both caliper brackets.
3. Yes the wheel had wobble but I took it back and they fixed it.
4. I will check that too this weekend.

By the way, Bill, it was nice to finally meet you. I was the guy that talked to after the Spring Show in Daytona this year. (bought the rear shock mounts while I was at it). Next year I plan on bringing my car.

Jax INC
CAI, no cats, 2.5" exhaust with flowmasters and H pipe, 4:10 gears, Eaton posi, PCMFORLESS tune, airpump delete, bonnies, lowered on 22"s, tinted tails, GEN 2 Tri-y's, extended upper and lower rear control arms, Yank SS3600
Old 05-18-2011, 07:55 AM

dre

On my junk I had the same problem, one of my e-brake cables had started to seized up. brakes would squeek like crazy untill i hit the brakes. Don't know if it would apply to your situation, but might be worth checkin.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 AM

subssonicimpalass

I know this is a really old thread, but I figured I would give it some closure. I found out that it was my passenger side rear axle was slightly bent causing the bearing to be damaged as well.

Noise is gone!!!

Jax INC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.