Repairing a Sears Craftsman Hydraulic Floor Jack - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-27-2011, 06:02 AM

SAH62 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Repairing a Sears Craftsman Hydraulic Floor Jack

A few years ago I bought a 3.5 ton Sears Craftsman "Professional" floor jack. I didn't know it at the time, but at some point Sears stopped making their jacks in the USA and production shifted to China. The jack I bought was made in China.

Just google "craftsman floor jack" to get a feel for what happened to the quality of the jacks in recent years. Like many others the power unit on mine started to leak after the warranty expired. Sears doesn't offer a repair service and they don't sell parts to repair the power unit. You can buy a new one, but the thing costs about $175 these days. For that price you can buy a couple of brand new jacks at Harbor Freight, so that's what I did. It seemed like a waste to throw it away, though, so I put the Craftsman aside until I had some time to look into it more closely.

Last weekend I gave it some thought. I did some digging into part numbers, replacement part numbers, manufacturers, and I made some phone calls. No one wants to rebuild power units made in China. However, with a lot of detective work I managed to find a seal kit for my power unit that includes all of the o-ring seals that typically go bad. Here are the part numbers:
  • Original power unit part number: 5954 (currently $173.49 from Sears)
  • Replacement power unit part number: G59305-0001 (manufactured by Shinn Fu Company of America, Inc. (SFA), http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/, current price $131.27)
  • Seal kit for G59305-0001: G59510-0000 ($11.55 plus shipping from SFA)

I found the seal kit part number and an assembly diagram for the power unit by looking in the owner's manual for another jack that uses the same G59305-0001 power unit, the Omega MagicLift™ Hydraulic Service Jack Model 25030. You can find the manual on the SFA web site with a little searching.

You might be tempted to disassemble the jack, measure the o-rings, and find replacements. I found them to be odd metric sizes that weren't available at my local parts store. It might be possible to find them at a place like McMaster-Carr, but they typically sell o-rings in packs of 10 or more. I didn't need that many.

Having said all that, I'm not suggesting that everyone go out and try to rebuild their leaky Craftsman jack. If you take it apart without knowing what you're doing you can screw it up badly enough to make the jack either non-functional or dangerous. The point of this post is to let people know that a seal kit exists for at least one Craftsman jack, and in the hands of a professional the kit can be used to repair the jack.

If your jack uses a different power unit you might get lucky by using the same process I did. See if Sears lists a replacement power unit with a new part number. Search for that part number on the SFA web site. If it turns up in one of the jack manuals you might also find a seal kit part number in the same manual.

Some last notes: there are little stickers on most hydraulic jacks that warn you to not mess with the valves. Believe them; they're part of the pressure control system. If you lose any of the internal valve parts (spring, ball bearings, etc) you're SOL because they're not included in the kit and the jack won't work if those valves aren't working. If set improperly they can lead to over- and under-pressurization problems.

Never work under a car that's only being supported with a floor jack. Use high quality jack stands.
1995 DGGM Chevrolet Impala SS (original owner!)
1970 Calypso Coral 428 CJ Mach 1 Mustang
2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 AM

95BRMW is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the same piece of junk I bought. 3.5 ton professional SUV high lift jack. While there are no visible leaks, it slowly lets the car lower. found that out when I was using it to support a transmission and came to find it not doing anything the next morning.
1996 Black/Black FWB 170k
1975 Impala Coupe
1997 Riviera Supercharged
Old 05-27-2011, 11:09 AM

BALLSS

I have a Craftsman 2.5 ton I got from my father made in 1974 model 32812020

it is a beast but has served me well for the 30+ years I have had it, Went to sears.com to look up $ on rebuild kit....WTF $429...not a kit but a replacement hydraulic.

If this one ever pukes I will just get a HF one.

like 95BRMW mine will leak overnight under load but works fine for jacking purposes.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 PM

Gene Beaird

Nice information. I have three floor jacks, and all three leak. One is a Walker 3.5T, a HF aluminum, and a J.C. Penney jack a friend 'borrowed' from work many years ago when the non-leaking one he borrowed from me got stolen at a drag strip. I've thought about replacing the seals on all of them (the Penney one if I can ever get the rusted handle to un-stick) but didn't know how much effort it would take.

It seems a $0.10 o-ring can turn today's chinese-built floor jack into a recyclable hunk of steel or aluminum. What a shame.
95 9C1 Caprice (her DD, retired)
2010 Tahoe PPV (her DD)
92 B4C 1LE Camaro
85 Firebird, SCCA CP Solo II
95 381 LT4/6SP Z28 Vert - 405 RWHP (Her Car)
Pearland, Texas
Old 05-27-2011, 03:16 PM

SAH62 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Beaird View Post
Nice information. I have three floor jacks, and all three leak. One is a Walker 3.5T
The Walker is probably fixable. Check out this site for repair kits:

http://blackhawkparts.com/store/page18.html

The seal kit I mentioned above is also available from blackhawkparts.com.
1995 DGGM Chevrolet Impala SS (original owner!)
1970 Calypso Coral 428 CJ Mach 1 Mustang
2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 PM

dservati
Send a message via AIM to dservati

I have a Craftsman got new in 1985(model 214.1200), just started leaking ... any repair kits for that one? I got a H.F. lowprofile 3 ton for $50 with all their sales and coupons very solid. Craftsman is good to get the car up, once the fluid is topped off, but can't be kept up over night.
'63 Pontiac Bonneville - 389, 8-lugs - Sunday ice cream getter
'95 DCM SS Clone - Son's ride (view rebuild)
RAISSE Web Site
Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 AM

wood95ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good Scoop

Own a Craftsman 3 Ton jack; 50115; M/N 875.501151.

Not leaking externally - but yes, just like others above it does have a minor interior leak as the jack pad [under load] will settle slowly over time. However not fast enough to not be able to get jacks under the car.

Good info above and will pursue it when the time comes to make it 'tight' again. Great detective work for the group here - or should I say for those interested.

btw - I bought this jack specifically to get our GMC Subdivision airborne.

Thumbs UP!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM

loweredd

I have a Michelin jack that I bought from Sam's Club years ago. It leaks too. I might have to start searching too. Thanks!

79 Impala 4dr-Undergoing LS1/4L60E/Turbo swap-Airride#
89 Caprice Wagon-LQ4/4L80E swap#
Old 10-19-2012, 03:26 AM

mariyafrankjon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Repairing a Sears Craftsman Hydraulic Floor Jack

Thanks for sharing such useful information. I appreciate the effort and initiative of people like you.

-------------------------
hydraulic power units
Old 10-19-2012, 09:56 AM

1slow96 is on a distinguished road
Default Repairing a Sears Craftsman Hydraulic Floor Jack

I also had a floor jack that would settle/sink. I found a local hydraulic service to disassemble/rebuild the jack. They found the cylinder to be slightly "out of round",and this is one reason these jacks settle over time. As well as problems with o-rings. They were able to hone the cylinder,and it functions like new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.