Running 10 inch wide wheels up front back spacing? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Wheels & Tires
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 AM

Stoney is on a distinguished road
Default Running 10 inch wide wheels up front back spacing?

What back spacing do you run while 10 wide wheels that would tuck and not rub? Any help would be great. Yes I've searched the forum but still want some fresh input. Running 2.5 inch drop up front. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 AM

94MI9C1 is on a distinguished road

I think that the magic number that you will find is if you hover the offset around the +13 to +15 mark more towards the +15 mark. The height of the wheel and tire is going to be relative to this as well. But I have seen on here that say 22 inch rim for instance with say 9.5 inch width running +13 with no issues, going to a 10 inch rim you are only gaining .25 of an inch on the inside and outside as compared to a 9.5 inch rim.

Example:

22X9.5 inch rim with +13 offset is going to be about 5.8 inches of backspacing
22X10 inch rim with +13 offset is going to be about 6.0 inches of backspacing<<<<<right as a .25 of an inch as noted above. Hope that makes sense.

If you look at an SS rim which is 17X8.5 with about 5.05 inches of backspacing, we will just say 5 inches for a round number. Now bead to bead generally speaking on an 8.5 inch rim it is going to be 9.5 inches wide (an SS rim is beefier and is a tad wider).
So if you go with a 22X9.5 rim the relative actual width is going to be 10.5 inches, so in theory if you wanted the front face of the rim to match where an SS rim sat on the car then you would need to add 1 inch to the backspacing number which comes out to 6 inches. (I am sure that Firewood has explained all this before just reiterating).
I think that 6 inches is going to be the magic number as in the maximum that you would want to go for backspacing as going further in, you will start to run into rubbing on turns and stuff like that, which generally speaking our cars do anyway with most rims even in SS spec.

So if you had a 22X10 that is going to be 11 inches total width, so in theory to make the front face sit where an SS rim would you would need 6.5 inches of backspacing, but that would put you over the magic happy number that I think that most have found of 6 inches backspacing. Now I have seen guys run, +15 offset on a 10 inch rim with no issues and that comes out to 6.1 inches of backspacing.

Hope that wasn't over said or over worded, just trying to make it easy to understand. For you to tuck a 10 inch rim, I still think that you will end up rubbing the sway bar in a tight turn at the very least, that is just the nature of the beast, no way around it. I know the 18X9.5's that I run on the front of my car are VERY close to hitting the sway bar in a turn and that is with only 5 inches of backspacing on them right now.

Hope this helps.

***results may vary, measuring will be necessary and some minor weight loss maybe needed as well LOL
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1, 126,000 miles, T56, 4.10's

C6 Grandsport Brake Install C6 Z06 Wheels T56 Installation Manual

Last edited by 94MI9C1; 06-16-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:29 AM

Firewood is an unknown quantity at this point

What he said!

Good job 94MI9C1.

Remember... Your results may vary.
Almost every wheel and tire can be answered by clicking here!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewood View Post
What he said!

Good job 94MI9C1.

Remember... Your results may vary.
Thanks!!

And I updated my post with a disclaimer.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks again for your feedback....So my Enkei's are at Eric's in Monrovia and he is super backed up...He may have a problem widening my wheels to where I want them...Anyways I'm thinking about buying a set from Raceline and doing the 18x12 and 18x10 combo...I just really dislike rubbing..maybe go with 9's....Thanks
Old 06-16-2011, 01:48 PM

lotsacars

I run very similar Enkei's in 17x10 (with 285/40's) on all four corners. They are all -13 so in essence the backspacing is the same as the stock SS rims and the 1.5" of extra width is all to the outside. I run stock SS springs (with ~150K now) and it will rub only on the front on the nastiest of dips (like a storm drain in a parking lot). I've only had them rub twice and both were dips that I wouldn't have hit on purpose. In normal driving they're fine. FWIW, I don't have wheel well moldings on my car, either. The rears would be awfully close.

Since you're lowered (though likely with stiffer springs) they would likely rub at that offset.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
Thanks again for your feedback....So my Enkei's are at Eric's in Monrovia and he is super backed up...He may have a problem widening my wheels to where I want them...Anyways I'm thinking about buying a set from Raceline and doing the 18x12 and 18x10 combo...I just really dislike rubbing..maybe go with 9's....Thanks
I think that you would be happier with the 9's in the front IMHO.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:56 PM

Default !

Ya, I think you are right..Thanks so much.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 PM

Default Back spacing

I'll probably going with 18x9 and 5'' B.S. I liked how my Eagle 225's 20x8.5's looked in the front and I think it was 4.5 B.S. It shouldn't rub!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 PM

No problem, glad to help. Click on the Z06 Wheel install link in my sig and in the last pages I show my car on the ground with some tester spacers/adapters on the front that are to large, the wheels are 18X9.5 and the backspacing with the wrong spacers is 4.8 right now and the edge of the tire and wheel is right and the outer fender lip. Just to give you an idea as I think with a 9 inch rim you will be about .5 inches in from the outer edge of the fender. but like you said should be right about where your 20's were.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.