Wagon rear springs--close to stock heightbut stiffer? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Suspension
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM

TheFleshRocket is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to TheFleshRocket Send a message via AIM to TheFleshRocket
Default Wagon rear springs--close to stock heightbut stiffer?

My new-to-me '94 wagon has lowering springs in the rear. They are at least 2" lower than stock. (I have receipts from the previous owner so I need to see exactly what they are.) They are too low and not stiff enough. I added some airlift 1000s and with the airlifts aired up to about 26psi, the back end feels a lot better, but that's unloaded and without towing anything.

I want a rear spring that has ride height that is stock or only a little lower than stock, but is stiffer than the stock rear springs. I may just switch back to stock rear springs but am hoping there is a better option. (the front is lowered with drop spindles and I'm putting it back to stock because the 18s with 225/60s that I put on rub over even mild bumps.)
--'06 300C SRT8
--1125R, 1050, 600F2, VFR800, DRZ-400E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

The reason the fronts rub is that the drop spindles move the wheels out about 1/2 inch. The main rub point is the top bolt holding the wheelhouse to the fender. If you remove the bolt, it will probably stop 90% of the rubbing. I use 215-70-15 tires in the front. They are 27 inches in diameter, and the narrower tread gives me and extra 1/4 inch. The tires you are using are actually .6 inches taller than stock (28.6 inches). A better fit would be the 215-60-18s because they are only 28.1 inches in diameter. Your rubbing would probably stop with the 215-60-18s.

If you go back to the stock spindles in front, and put the stock springs in back with the airbags, you will find out that it is probably what you are looking for. You can even use your oversized tires without hitting the fenders. Stock tire diameter is 28 inch, so to keep your ABS and speedo happy you should run the same diameter tires front and back (not necessarily the same size).
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 09-14-2011, 10:53 AM

scot

For the wagon, the trailer towing (V92 for Buick) is stock hieght and one step stiffer on GM's chart than 9C1 springs. Soft ride too.

Last edited by scot; 09-14-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TheFleshRocket Send a message via AIM to TheFleshRocket

Fred, thanks for the suggestions. If anything, I want to go with bigger tires so going back to stock spindles up front is probably the only way to go.

Scot, I've also got a '96 RMW with the tow package. Are the springs you're talking about the same as I've got on the RMW? If so, the ride height of the car with those springs is good, but the springs are a little soft. I have to keep the airlift 1000s aired up to at least 10 psi to make the back end feel sufficiently stiffly sprung. Those would be an improvement over what's on my Caprice wagon now, but I'm hoping for springs that will have similar ride height but are firmer.
--'06 300C SRT8
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

There are some lift spacers on ebay right now. You can use your current springs and get the ride heigth you want. Search for "caprice wagon" in car parts. You can use them in the front as well.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 PM

Lift spacers won't help--the lowering springs are too soft. The stock springs on the rear of my '96 RMW are stiffer, but I'd like something even stiffer.
--'06 300C SRT8
Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 AM

scot

"Scot, I've also got a '96 RMW with the tow package. Are the springs you're talking about the same as I've got on the RMW?"

Yes.

"If so, the ride height of the car with those springs is good, but the springs are a little soft. I have to keep the airlift 1000s aired up to at least 10 psi to make the back end feel sufficiently stiffly sprung. Those would be an improvement over what's on my Caprice wagon now, but I'm hoping for springs that will have similar ride height but are firmer."

I wonder if firmer shocks are really what you need then for this car. The V92 springs will give you the ride height and ride quality you want. 10 psi with the airlift is resonable ( maybe 8 psi L + 10 R or whatever it takes to level the rear static height)
Moog and various others make replacement stock height springs. BUT if handling is the goal, then I would not go there. 4 wheel matched spring sets always perform better than mixing any F+R springs because the natural bounce fequency of every spring is different. Only when the bounce fequency is matched for all springs will you find handling maximized over the road. Smooth autocross courses may work for mismatched springs, but nothing else will. I'm exclusevely refering to maximized handling, not just what works or even feels good.

In a RMS I use this set up ... 1 3/8 F+R bars, Koni's set at half way to full hard and wheels of 15x8 F, 15X9 R with 275/60-15 Firehawks, DMR #5029-w frame braces, ZQ8's and AirLift#60755. This car is neutral, corners flat and rides soft enough to be my mothers favorite car.
It sits 28 1/2 in F, 21 1/2 R on a RMS.

Last edited by scot; 09-15-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 PM

91ss is on a distinguished road

If you want a stiffer spring, if you could measure the installed height and free height of the stock RMW springs you have, I can see if there's a possible Moog spring. I posted a spread sheet awhile ago for estimating springs for sedans. Could be altered with that info to make a wagon version.

I believe at least for chevy's, the only rate spring in the wagons was the 37nm springs. Possible in a few different right heights. Guess would be the same for buicks.

Else it won't work. That case would require a test set of springs, then exchange them for the 'right' set after measuring in the car.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:44 AM

scot

The V92 rear spring charts as one step stiffer than the 9C1 rear spring on the GM chart. A long time ago I used the 9C1 rear spring with Koni's set at almost (9/10's) full firm. It made for a VERY stiff feeling spring. I've got to think that the V92 with Koni's set like that would feel very stiff, and be exactly the ride height you want, while matching the bounce frequency of the front V92 springs.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ss View Post
If you want a stiffer spring, if you could measure the installed height and free height of the stock RMW springs you have, I can see if there's a possible Moog spring. I posted a spread sheet awhile ago for estimating springs for sedans. Could be altered with that info to make a wagon version.

I believe at least for chevy's, the only rate spring in the wagons was the 37nm springs. Possible in a few different right heights. Guess would be the same for buicks.
I'll have to remove the stock springs from my RMW to be able to check their free height, although I can check their installed height--sort of. Basically I should just be checking the distance from the top coil to the bottom coil, with the spring installed on the car, with the car unloaded?
--'06 300C SRT8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.