Losing 2nd Gear - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Drivetrain
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-24-2011, 10:59 AM

more cubes is on a distinguished road
Default Losing 2nd Gear

My 1-2 shift started flaring badly Thursday. It does this at very light part throttle driving and only got worse with additional throttle. It is fine in first and 3rd. I parked the car and will be checking line psi, codes and fluid level tomorrow but would like to know what else to look for if these are okay?

The car has not thrown any codes through the MIL and the fluid was at the correct level and clean prior to this. Some additional background info that may help:

1. The car has not been driven much over the last 5 years. It has about 1,000 miles over this time. I bought it and put maybe 200 miles in the last 2 weeks and worked great until now. Didn't worry too much about this when I bought the car as everything else is in such good condition and working excellent.

2. In the 6 or so full throttle 1-2 shifts I have done since owning the car, the 1-2 was solid for a stock tranny IMO. I drilled out my air box earlier in the week and was testing it out. I had one shift that actually chirped the rear tire and wondering if this had anything to do with it. I was surprised it shifted that hard and tried to see if it would do it again the next day and it was back to "normal". This could have been coincidental with me being low on fuel and I was slightly rounding a corner, both taking some weight off the rear. The 2nd gear issue happened two days later.

Sorry for the long post but want to make the most of my time at my buddy's shop tomorrow. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Bill
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 04:37 PM

Checked out the car this AM. There were no codes stored and the fluid level was correct. The pressures were at 65 in P, N, OD and 1st. It was only 80 in R. 2nd gear would start at 65 and jump to 95 after 3-5 seconds of being in gear and stay there. All pressures were checked at idle.

Hmm...
Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Sophomore Member

sherlock9c1 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to sherlock9c1

did you read the sticky? 4L60E failures, problem #3.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 PM

Thanks Joel. I misinterpreted #3 as being WOT anomalies and not part throttle issues. Oops! Thanks for taking the time to point this out- I will check this out.

I probably missed this too, but where is a good place to purchase an accumulator piston or spring if it is broke?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Sophomore Member

GM dealer, ebay, or local trans shop (they often have good used spare parts). If the accumulator bore is screwed up, you'll need a new one of those too.

Sonnax makes pinless accumulator pistons. They are a bit more pricey but very well engineered pieces.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:30 PM

Broken 1-2 Accumulator spring...

Last edited by more cubes; 09-29-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Sophomore Member

I can't see your pics, but if it's the yellow one, I'm not surprised. Check the piston itself to make sure the center post isn't cracked and the bore isn't scored.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:10 AM

I can't get the picture to post for some reason but here is a link: https://picasaweb.google.com/1016277...72859149039138

It is a yellow spring (~.152" diameter) and the piston is cracked out around the center. The bore looks pretty good- there is some very light scoring in one small spot where I assume the spring must have come in contact with it. It is very slight but enough to where I should probably lightly polish it to be safe?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 AM

I am planning on getting the Sonnax purple spring 74926: http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/74926.pdf
The Sonnax pinless accumulator 77998-03K:http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...998-03K-IN.pdf
While I am in there, the Sonnax .490 boost valve 77898E-K: http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...7898E-K-IN.pdf

Or the Transgo equivalent- I am going to try and get these locally tomorrow, otherwise I will mail order. Let me know if there are any better options. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Sophomore Member

Yes, just polish it so it won't chew up the rubber seal.

On the parts you listed - yeah, looks great. That's what I would do. I would not use the TransGo boost valve. The one in my wagon did not last long before the line rise died off again. They are built to much looser tolerances than the Sonnax units.

Be aware that the Sonnax boost valve is tricky to install without shaving those o-rings. If you're careful, you can smooth/polish the steps that lead into the boost valve bore without putting shavings all in the trans. Sand/file/wirebrush, whatever you want to use. Then, use vaseline to help avoid any damage to the seals as you install the valve.

Last edited by sherlock9c1; 09-30-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.