Tracing problem 1993 Caprice 5.7L - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Berns
Default Tracing problem 1993 Caprice 5.7L

Hello All,
I have been replacing sensors as I try to fix my surging problem, also at the same time doing any maintenance following my FSM for my car. Yesterday I was revving my car and noticed that when I rev it and hold it the needle on my tachometer seems to jump. Could it be misfire or dist going bad?
Smoked headlight, tinted 91 tails, LED interior and exterior, JET chipped, MSD ignition, sounds with Kenwood unit, 20" IROCS w/ 255/35 20 Falkens, dual after cat exhaust and bowtie tips, modded air box, WAY MORE TO COME.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 PM

cletus284 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berns View Post
Hello All,
I have been replacing sensors as I try to fix my surging problem, also at the same time doing any maintenance following my FSM for my car. Yesterday I was revving my car and noticed that when I rev it and hold it the needle on my tachometer seems to jump. Could it be misfire or dist going bad?
Could be a lot of things. Does the engine actually change speed when this is happening? What specifically have you done? Have you checked fuel pressure (which is more of a pain on TBI's, you need an adapter)?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM

fuzzcar is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 92 that had a similar wierd problem, when you started it up cold, it would "surge" rpms would go up to 1000 then lower down to almost stall then back to 1000 then back down, etc etc. it would do it for about 3 mins then idle normally. If you put it in gear it would usually idle fine, but every once in a while die as soon as it went in gear.

I tried all kinds of stuff, new intake gasket, O2 sensor, IAT sensor, ECM. I never could figure it out.

Eventually somewhere in the 100,000+ miles I put on that car, the problem went away on its own.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:23 AM

kcirrab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzcar View Post
I had a 92 that had a similar wierd problem, when you started it up cold, it would "surge" rpms would go up to 1000 then lower down to almost stall then back to 1000 then back down, etc etc. it would do it for about 3 mins then idle normally. If you put it in gear it would usually idle fine, but every once in a while die as soon as it went in gear.

I tried all kinds of stuff, new intake gasket, O2 sensor, IAT sensor, ECM. I never could figure it out.

Eventually somewhere in the 100,000+ miles I put on that car, the problem went away on its own.
Mine does that every once in a while and would love to know what the hell it is lol

1994 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 Blue 73k ORIGINAL Miles--- Current

1992 Chevrolet Caprice Light Blue 128k Original Miles--- Currently Mine but I'm fixing it to give to my grandmother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Scholz View Post
Yes it's a money pit
But it's my money pit DAMMIT!!.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 PM

wytltng is on a distinguished road

Try a distributor with a new pick-up coil.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:37 PM

dloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytltng View Post
Try a distributor with a new pick-up coil.
Agree.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:46 PM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

It is usually caused by fluctuating fuel pressure. The rubber hose between the fuel pump cracks, and allows fuel to vent back into the tank. If you are going to replace the hose, you should replace the pump at the same time. Use an AC Delco. I used a cheaper one, and had to replace it one month later, then again after a year and a half.

The tach jumping could be a signal issue from the crank sensor, or a short. The short could be the wires at the distributor connector(s) The insulation gets brittle, and can crumble. the wires can come in contact, and you will have an erratic run. This would be more of constant problem, as opposed to the fuel issue which causes rythmic fluctuations in idle.

Another issue might be the ground at the thermostat housing. It is the ground for the O2 sensor, and the ECM. I used a gun barrel brush to clean the threaded hole, and some WD 40/PB Blaster. Clean the bolt and the lugs too. Do it when the engine is cold so that the thermostat housing does not leak.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Berns

Ok. Cleaned out the bolt in the t-stat housing, cleaned off the wiring as well by sanding any corrosion. Is the connector for dist the one that plus on the side by the coil, if so, it is in good condition. I will have to check the crank sensor as I have not replaced this one. I did notice yesterday that the hose in the evap canister are all shot, all cracked and brittle to the touch, will replace those as well this weekend. My car's FP had left me stranded 2 yrs ago and had it towed to a shop, I told them to replace any hoses while the tank was down. When I picked up the car they stated that all the hose were in good condition and did not need to be replaced.
I will keep you posted.
Smoked headlight, tinted 91 tails, LED interior and exterior, JET chipped, MSD ignition, sounds with Kenwood unit, 20" IROCS w/ 255/35 20 Falkens, dual after cat exhaust and bowtie tips, modded air box, WAY MORE TO COME.....
Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Berns
Default Update:

I replaced all emissions hoses from the TB to the Canister to the Tank, some just crumbled at the touch and one had a leak from a crack. I re-routed the spark plug wires and added wire cover to the wires so they do not touch and cause cross fire. Checked plugs and they are in good condition. Still have a surge. I was reading my FSM and it stated it could also be the spark control module and knock sensor that are going out. Has anyone updated any of these? Module is pretty expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.