Taillight lens removal - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91 thru 96 B-body Model Specific > Caprice
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-17-2011, 12:01 AM

Caprisun92 is on a distinguished road
Default Taillight lens removal

Has anybody ever removed the lens of a the tail light to install new ones?? If so how do you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

It is done with great difficulty. You would be better off buying a used tail light, and just installing it. A used one is between $25 and $50, and will take you about 10 minutes to install. Removing the lens and getting a replacement from a used tail light will take you about 4 hours. Think about how you spend your time and money. You will have to buy the used one anyway.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 AM

angelo can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to angelo Send a message via Skype™ to angelo

Sir,
if you still want to try i have 2 PASS side lights you can practice on.
here is the thread of me offering them but the guy never got back to me.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=265598

I can work with you on the price. they are boxed and read to GO !!!

-ALF out...
ECIRS #427 ISSCA #01978
96 WX3 DGGM Bone Stock except Bilstein 0929/1104 odom fade mod, FB & HP delete, lower bushing mod,Stealth Brake Bolt mod,9C1 air dams,160 stat,TB-Bypass,Hi-Miler Hoses,Taylor wires,SStudio TB Boot & K&N,Bonnies,Pypes-X,Spintech Super Pro Streets

http://www.vimeo.com/1191344 CLICK ME !!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2386222/1
Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 AM

96SSbbb is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/buckets.html

"Lens Bucket Modification

Another viable way to squeeze more light power out of the rear light system is to improve the reflective and focus properties of the lens reflector assembly (buckets). The red plastic lens can be separated from the bucket assembly by removing the red lens. It is not permanently sealed as a black rubbery putty is used along with a few plastic tab clips to hold the assembly together. Using a small flat knife, I was easily able to separate the lens from the bucket and remove the old sealant and clean up the joining channels for later reassembly. Once I separated the assemblies, I was disappointed in the overall quality and construction of the reflectors. Silver reflective paint sprayed over the plastic reflectors with small star impressed dimples for refraction is all that is in there. The paint literally wiped off in my fingers and did not have very good "reflective" properties on direct visual inspection. Below are some basic pictures of the before and after on a reflector bucket.
"

ISSCA# 930
Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 AM

The Tech is on a distinguished road

It is a little time consuming but not that difficult. I did it about five years ago so I could remove the red plastic lens and install the clear set. On the Caprice the most difficult part is removing the chrome trim without breaking off the tabs that secure it. If your tails don't have the trim then it is just a matter of cutting through the sealing adhesive to get them off. I took my time sealing them for re-installation and have never had a problem with moisture.

1993 Caprice 9C1, Tilt Hood, Impala Grill, Ghost Flames, Flip/Flop Trunk, SS Grill with Blue SSLED Bowtie, Lowered, 18" Cragar SS Wheels, De-chromed rear, Retro LED Tails, Dual Exhausts, Bow Tie Exhaust Tips

1995 Caprice 9C1, Daily Driver, 235K miles. 9.65@73.5 mph in the 1/8 mile.

2011 Caprice 9C3, the new family car.

Vice-President, Carolina's Impala SS Motoring Association
Old 11-19-2011, 02:21 PM

Caprisun92 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Yea I did it took me about 4 hours but got it done thanks!!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:30 PM

ghetto wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

I RTV'd on lenses. Does anyone have any IDEA on how to remove that? I should have used 3m Strip caulking on reinstall. Gasoline might soften up RTV but might eat the lens too!

Old 11-25-2011, 09:40 AM

ejschultz is on a distinguished road

You could try baking them at about 100 degrees for a little while. The heat will soften the RTV. We did my friend's headlights in his Alero when he wanted to remove his amber reflectors (it's kinda like us getting clear corners). We also painted the bezel black in there while the lens was off. We then used a silicone based caulk to seal it off. It's been like that for about 5 years now with no problems with moisture. The only issue he has with the car now is a terrible rod knock. Someone's going to find a pretty neat set of custom Alero lights in the JY soon...
Old 11-25-2011, 09:54 AM

Tx0ut1aw is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tx0ut1aw

Me personally, I would go with the replacing the lens, cause its not hard at all, just a few hours depending on the quality of the seal you have on the taillights. On the Imp SS, the taillights have tabs to pull back and pry the lens off with something as simple as a screwdriver. I take it you want to change the color of your lens to a smoke or clear. After you have removed them you can buy the sealant at Autozone for under 7 bucks. At least try it out yourself, if you so happen to break it, then go the other route.

LT1, 160k miles, 2.5 Exhaust, K&N Cold Air Intake, Func. Fiberglass Ram Air Hood,Smooth Polyurathane bumpers, Aluminum Performance Radiator, Mirror Gloss Blk Paint, Blisten Shocks,22in U2 Wheels,Clarion VX501 Navigation, 2 10" W6v2 w/ Memphis PRD1000.1 amp, and much more soon...
Old 11-25-2011, 10:38 AM

ejschultz is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention, The Tech, I like how you kept the chrome around the clear tails. I've really wanted to get the smoked lenses, but I don't have the patience to sit there and remove the chrome without breaking it. Maybe one day it'll happen for me...maybe one day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.