95 Caprice L99 tune up questions - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 AM

95DoubleBubble is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Caprice L99 tune up questions

So my bubble just cracked 100K. I have put 19K since buying last February, and once my taxes come in its getting tuned up. Gonna do the 100K trans and rear fluid change, but need input on a good quality set of plugs and wires. I drive this car for pizza delivery 5 days a week, averaging 400-500 miles/week. Whats out there that will help me in way of fuel economy and engine preformance?

Phil

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/lowriderphil/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 AM

4DoorSS is an unknown quantity at this point

MSD wires and AC Delco DP's. Uses the same as the LT1. I would also consider Injector replacement too after 100K....shameless plug for me. Just so happens that I have a set of Accell 19 lb injectors with about 10K on them that I had in my L99 before going to the LT1. Cost me $300 from Summit, $50 for the set if you want them.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:05 AM

95DoubleBubble is on a distinguished road

That be great, but I wount have any spare cash for a few weeks until my tax return clears.

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/lowriderphil/
Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 AM

1FAST94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Likely all you need is plugs. If you're going to buy wires, buy AC Delco from a dealer. And you really don't need to replace your injectors. Shameless plug, indeed.
10.43 @126.95 @ 3800 lbs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a8dYCl2cAdM

Last edited by 1FAST94; 01-12-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 PM

Robss96dcm

^ What he said....

96 DCM
95 BBB #16
robss96dcm at yahoo dot com
Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 PM

Default Injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95DoubleBubble View Post
That be great, but I wount have any spare cash for a few weeks until my tax return clears.
Just checking back and wanted to give you a heads up if you're still interested. I just posted these up in the "For Sale" section.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=268577

But you got 1st dibs if you still want them. If you can't do it all now, just give me a deposit ($20?) and I can hold them for you...my "lay-a-way" program :>) I'm sure we could work something out on timing.

BTW - How far are you from Elkton, Md.? Maybe we could meet up instead of ship.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 AM

fbi9c1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95DoubleBubble View Post
Save your money. You don't need new injectors. It's an L99 and you don't need the purported "improved performance". Don't do any "mods" to it. It's the age not the mileage with the plug wires. If they still say "Packard" on them, they are original and should be replaced. If they don't say that, they may have been replaced. Look at them at night and if you see any blue spark arc'ing, they need to be replaced. Just do that and change the plugs, use Delco single plats or NGK's. Change you air filter, oil and filter, lube the 11 chassis fittings. Change your fuel filter. That's all you need to do to keep it running well and retain your gas mileage.

'95 9c1, pcmperformance.com 93 tune, Dynomax Ultraflo catback, K & N box filter, LT4 KM, 160 stat, 3.08 Posi.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbi9c1 View Post
Save your money. You don't need new injectors. It's an L99 and you don't need the purported "improved performance". Don't do any "mods" to it. It's the age not the mileage with the plug wires. If they still say "Packard" on them, they are original and should be replaced. If they don't say that, they may have been replaced. Look at them at night and if you see any blue spark arc'ing, they need to be replaced. Just do that and change the plugs, use Delco single plats or NGK's. Change you air filter, oil and filter, lube the 11 chassis fittings. Change your fuel filter. That's all you need to do to keep it running well and retain your gas mileage.
Not sure what the "purported" performance increases were with these either. It's common knowledge that Injectors get dirty, clogged and lose their ability to perform. Especially after 100K miles and should be professionally cleaned or replaced. A lot will say don't bother with an L99 and get an LT1. But the logic of not replacing certain parts on either engine is up to the individual. Injectors, just like plugs and wires are a wear items and should be replaced for a number of reasons other than performance. But why bother with an L99, most will say. I feel you do it for the same reasons you replace your plugs, wires or even change your oil.

My Stock (original) Injectors had 110K on them in my '95 Caprice with the L99 engine. Replaced them and the engine ran better, smoother. It was part of my tune-up on the L99. No, I didn't dyno the car but drove it long enough to know it ran better. The best performance increase is to swap in an LT1, but that is a little bit more expensive.

Don't intend to get into a big discussion with others over the advantages of doing this or not on an L99. Some just feel it's pointless to invest a dime into an L99. I didn't think of this as a "mod" as much as it was just part of my regular maintenance. However, over the years I did put an CAI on it, Dual catback exhaust and a few other bolto-ons for the L99. Most will say "you wasted your money", but I liked what it did for the car while it still had the L99. It was a deer accident that finally made me decide to swap the engine while I had the front clip off. But these little engines for as bashed as they seem to get for not being a LT1, are still pretty stong engines and can last a long time.

Another option, if you are going to keep the L99, you could also look at getting your current injectors cleaned. Yes, I was also looking at this before I bought the replacements from Summit. There are a few companies out there that will take apart and completely clean your injectors and send them back to you. I believe they are in the $15 range per injector.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:03 AM

BandGbodies is on a distinguished road

Here's my feeling on the injectors for the L99. My car has 254,000 miles on it. The original injectors have never been out of it. Every once in a while, I run a tank or two of premium through it to clean it out, preferably when I am going on a longer trip. Works great. I stuck a borescope down it's throat a while back and the injectors look very nice down in there. So, that being said, I don't feel that new injectors or having mine cleaned would be of any benefit to me.

Now, as for the rest of your tune-up, so to speak. Remove water pump and replace with a new one. The input shaft seal will start to leak soon, if it isn't already, draining coolant onto the opti-spark. Change the cap and rotor on the opti. Get a Delphi cap and rotor kit. You will need a E-4 inverted torx socket to do it. Also, with the water pump, change the hoses(all of them), and t-fitting and restrictor. Drain all of the coolant and flush the block. Get down underneath and remove the knock sensors on both sides when you do this, as it is the only way to completely flush the block. Refill the system with new coolant and destilled water. Check condition of airfilter, and replace as necessary. Cold air kits are not a bad thing. I installed a K&N kit a long time ago, and it netted me an almost 2 mpg on the highway increase in milage. Change the PCV valve. It's on the driver's side of the intake manifold. Change the serpentine belt. Change trans fluid. Change Diff fluid. Grease chassis. Change oil, if due. Previously mentioned spark plugs. Wires, maybe? I changed mine the first time, but not the second time, 40K miles ago.

Thats my .02, and it has worked well for me, at least so far. I'm half way through my second tune up's service life so far and I'm still running great.

96 Caprice Classic
L99 w/ K&N Cold Air Kit, Home Base Delete w/ 1LE elbow, Impala SS springs and sway bars, MSD coil & wires, filled rear decklid courtesy of Dr. Sinister, 6-way Bonneville front buckets, Jegs catback dual exhaust, working on an Olds Bravada console.
263,000 Miles and counting -now sold 9/10/12
Old 01-24-2012, 12:41 PM

fbi9c1 is an unknown quantity at this point

"It's common knowledge that Injectors get dirty, clogged and lose their ability to perform. Especially after 100K miles and should be professionally cleaned or replaced. "

Not to question your motives, but you are trying to sell this new guy something you are trying to unload. I have 280,000+ mi on my LT1 and it still has the original injectors. So much for common knowledge. Run some Techron through it once in a while either via a tankful of Chevron or a bottle of the straight stuff.

Putting a CAI is another waste. He is trying to save fuel, not gain HP or the rushing sound that is the reason most people do this mod. The stock intake is not restrictive, especially on a L99. Inducing cold air is for the purpose of increasing density of the mixture. The reason the factory doesn't do this is to maximize fuel economy. If they could figure out how to get one more MPG out of the design, they would. Stories of increased fuel economy with a CAI cannot be supported with hard data.

This guy is delivering pizzas and trying to save money. 100,000 is barely broken in on these cars. You don't need a cap and rotor at this mileage either or a water pump. Just do the things that I and the other posters who have recommended just a few relatively modest maintenance items and enjoy your car. Make sure your opti vent harness is working by checking vacuum. You will be fine. Don't waste money doing anything that departs from stock.

'95 9c1, pcmperformance.com 93 tune, Dynomax Ultraflo catback, K & N box filter, LT4 KM, 160 stat, 3.08 Posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.