glove box latch (or entire door) - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Interior
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 AM

Chris C is on a distinguished road
Default glove box latch (or entire door)

just picked up a 95 ss which has a broken glove box latch. i have searched high and low, on ebay, etc. where can i find one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM

96hvychvySs is on a distinguished road

go in the for sale section..post WTB: Glove box or Glove box latch..in detail put in your car year and zip code to ship product...I've received a couple of items and all was great for me
Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96hvychvySs View Post
go in the for sale section..post WTB: Glove box or Glove box latch..in detail put in your car year and zip code to ship product...I've received a couple of items and all was great for me
thanks for the advice, my post count must be too low to post in for sale...

Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 AM

96hvychvySs is on a distinguished road

I don't know about that..I would just ask a "mod" good luck bro..also might want to take off the latch and walk through the yard to see if a caprice is a match up
Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

Have you tried the local pick and pull junk yard? You can change the tumbler in the lock with yours to keep the single key for all locks. You may have to paint it to match. Any Caprice or Impala has the same design latch.

Instructions for changing the tumbler: remove the latch from the glovebox door, turn the tumbler to the locked position, remove the key, on the left side there is a small hole with a silver bar visible. push the silver bar in as far as it will go with a small metal rod, while holding the bar in, insert the key, rotate the tumbler to clockwise 1/4 turn, push the tumbler from the back, and it will come out. reassembly is the reverse (keep the key in the tumbler until it is inserted into the replacement latch).

If the replacement does not have a key, you can drill out the tumbler.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts

Last edited by Fred Kiehl; 03-06-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Kiehl View Post
Have you tried the local pick and pull junk yard? You can change the tumbler in the lock with yours to keep the single key for all locks. You may have to paint it to match. Any Caprice or Impala has the same design latch.

Instructions for changing the tumbler: remove the latch from the glovebox door, turn the tumbler to the locked position, remove the key, on the left side there is a small hole with a silver bar visible. push the silver bar in as far as it will go with a small metal rod, while holding the bar in, insert the key, rotate the tumbler to clockwise 1/4 turn, push the tumbler from the back, and it will come out. reassembly is the reverse (keep the key in the tumbler until it is inserted into the replacement latch).

If the replacement does not have a key, you can drill out the tumbler.
have only had the car about 48 hours.

i cannot recall the last time i saw a caprice at the local salvage yard though, and i go often to dump my waste oil. i will check this weekend for sure but am anxious to fix the glove box...
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Have you checked with the people who are parting out cars in the for sale/wanted section? You could also put a wanted thread in the for sale/wanted section. If I had one, it would be about $20 shipped. I never know when one will appear in the local yards.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Kiehl View Post
Have you checked with the people who are parting out cars in the for sale/wanted section? You could also put a wanted thread in the for sale/wanted section. If I had one, it would be about $20 shipped. I never know when one will appear in the local yards.
don't have the permission to post there yet. the VB may have a minimum post count to be eligible to post in For Sale...
Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM

You could PM the original poster.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 PM

Meberhart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Meberhart

I have a Glove Box from a 96 SS if you want it. $20 + shipping to where ever you are and its yours.
1995 Chevrolet Impala SS, BBB, 118K, Stock, #16,302, Born 06-12-1995. Beauty.
1995 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71, Flat Black, Mud Slut, 257K, Built Not Bought. Beast. Sold, Thank God 10-20-13
1986 Chevrolet K-20 Silverado, 4bbl 350, Show Truck By Day, Mud Slut By Night, 3in lift, 33s, 102k. Rhonda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.