Intake gasket and exhaust manifold leaking.... - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 PM

countrycoy is on a distinguished road
Red face Intake gasket and exhaust manifold leaking....

I have a 1996 impala with 147,000 miles. Mostly stock, msd distributor, corvette starter, and flow master exhaust. I failed my emissions test here in md and I took my car to the delear to see why.... Here are my problems
1. Intake gasket leaking (est-$650)
2. Exhaust manifold gaskets are leaking (3 bolts broken off in cylinder heads est-$950).

He stated that it might be a little more if one of the cylinders need to be replaced.

Are these prices generally reasonable? Is it worth fixing or should I buy a new engine? Any shops in md that do good work you
Would refer me to?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, I want to keep the car till I die and want it back in tip top condition. Budget is really $950-1300, 1500$ max
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 10:15 PM

Goldmaster is on a distinguished road

Those prices sound like a total rip off IMO. If you know someone that can weld, have them weld a nut to the broken studs after removing the ex manifold, and you should be able to turn them right out. Or just try an exhaust shop who would deal with this issue more often, I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper.

I'd shop around on the intake gasket replacement if it's not something you would want to try yourself. All kinds of info on the forum about replacement. But you should be able to get it done for a lot less if you look around. Hell, if you were closer I'd do it for you on the cheap.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:17 PM

Crime Scene 96 is on a distinguished road

You could do the intake gaskets yourself, its not hard, just time consuming. You could save yourself about $550 of those dollars if you want to take on the challenge with the intake. Otherwise at these prices you could opt for a known working motor for around $300-$500, and another $400-$700 for the R&R.

1996 Chevy Impala SS DGGM -
Replaced BBB on 4/30/2012
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 PM

Crime Scene 96 is on a distinguished road

+1 with Goldy. Those prices are really steep!!!

1996 Chevy Impala SS DGGM -
Replaced BBB on 4/30/2012
Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 PM

countrycoy is on a distinguished road

I knew they where high just didn't know how high, I'm going to shop around and do some reasearch and find a good shop with a good price. It's a daily driver and I don't have the space, time or patience to try it myself. Thanks for the response...
Old 03-16-2012, 11:47 PM

96 Black is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...archid=3418953

Quite a good amount of collected knowledge free for the asking. Paying anyone else to do my work was never an option starting out. And if you expect to keep the rig until you die then no time like the present to dig in and learn its innards.

A couple hours pouring over the linked info along with $80 of handtools $50 in parts and a Saturday (maybe Sunday) and you can easily complete the intake and exhaust all by yourself. Add a case of beer (or Jolt/MD if you're of a certain age ) and you'll likely accumulate some friends who are impressed by your mad skills and willing to help make the day go faster. And you don't need no stinkink space for this kind of work. And patience is overrated when working on American iron.

ps-you get to keep the tools. HTH Looking to hear how it turns out.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Oh Bob, It's So Big And Long!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
\'96 BBB: SSRI, Herter Tune, Tri-Y II, SLP SS, 3000 Edge, F/HO bars, METCO extendeds, Bilsteins, currently Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (315/35 rear)
\'95 FTSS: total mono gray, SSRI, Anthony tune, Aero catback/H/resonators, SS bars and coils, Hotchkis LCAs, Bilsteins/Airlift 1000, NL rear discs
Old 03-17-2012, 08:54 AM

Rocko350 is on a distinguished road

Depending where you are located, in MD, there are a few that do work on the side. Fill out your user CP and maybe someone local might be able to help. A haynes manual is a great first information resource for doing the intake. go to a pawn shop for the tools. Save dough where you can. Pay for the goods if you have too. A mobile equipment repair machinist that i know will come and remove the bolts for 80 for the first and 20 for the rest. Guaranteed extraction. Get the manifold out of the way and let him work.

Chris
Old 03-17-2012, 03:50 PM

4DoorSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home Bolt Extraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko350 View Post
A mobile equipment repair machinist that i know will come and remove the bolts for 80 for the first and 20 for the rest. Guaranteed extraction. Get the manifold out of the way and let him work.

Chris
That's a Great Service that I never heard of. I once had to pull a head and take to a machine shop to have some Bolts extracted. Would have gladly payed $80 to have someone come to my Garage and pull those. The amount of time, labor, added cost and aggrevation would have been worth every penny. He!!, I would have bought Lunch too .

Looking at the repair co$t$ in the OP's first post, you can see why it pays to do this stuff yourself and it can be fun to learn. Those prices do seem high but I think you mentioned it was a dealer. Think of the Hundred$ you could save to do yourself. I would not worry about the replacing cylinder or whatever they mentioned. First do a compression check on all 8 Cylinders and if things look good, get the bolts extracted and start wrenching. All the otherstuff is just bolt on remove/install items. Assuming you the place to park the car and slowly do some work and learn. Get a manual as others have mentioned and you always have the ISSF here to help.

Edit -
[QUOTE=countrycoy;2631168He stated that it might be a little more if one of the cylinders need to be replaced.

[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a really "Fishy" statement to me. Never heard of having to replace a Cylinder before. Wonder how the repair shop came to that conclusion? I would run away from that place fast.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.

Last edited by 4DoorSS; 03-17-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 PM

minimalist is on a distinguished road

It's your money but I found the intake to be rather simple job done in a day saving me $500.

I've done exhaust manifold gaskets on a suburban, even easier although I didn't have to deal with broken bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.