camry hybrid...anyone driven one? (SS may need bedrest and I need fuel eff + power) - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > General Topics > Misc.
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 AM

luckydriver is on a distinguished road
Default camry hybrid...anyone driven one? (SS may need bedrest and I need fuel eff + power)

due to my job being transferred and me driving 700 miles a week (no doesnt pay me to relocate - long story), and my SS dead in the driveway with at least a head gasket, and maybe more (mechanic friend will come over to diagnose someday), i may have to get hybrid

i know there's nothing like the SS out there that will get me the mileage i need to be able to afford a car plus my gas, so i have to go smaller and more fuel efficient. Just wondering if anyone has driven the camry or other car that would get 35 mpg or more highway (i drive 90% hiway miles and regularly get 20 to 21 in the SS even driving spirited)

i've worked out the numbers and if i can get a 35mpg car that's around 25K, i'd be paying about the same for car pymt and gas that i pay just in gas now. A bit more actually but the lack of paying for repairs on the SS should make up that small difference. i run the cars into the ground so depreciation and resale value mean nothing to me. reliablity and mileage are critical

there's NO way i would ever drive a prius, i need some power, this will be hard enough if i have to give up the SS. i need a bit of getup and go to make up for the loss
2014 Impala LTZ; Sold and miss my 95 DCM 262K thanks to all who helped me over the years!; 87 caprice became my snow car in 2000 and it was laid to "rust" in 10/07 with 338K. Rebuilt trans at 308,000 (lasted pretty long I think); new radiator 330,000 (they said it literally disintegrated when they took it off)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Dustpanda is on a distinguished road

Just recently bought a 2012 Cruze Eco with a 6 speed for about $20K. I'm getting around the EPA estimate of 42MPG. This weekend I had a nice 150 mile highway drive at 65mph and got over 48MPG. I'm buying a Trifecta tune this week and looking forward to their "Select-a-tune" where you can choose a power mode and eco mode. More Info about the Trifecta tune. While it may not have the reliability the Toyota has, it'll give you the MPG and fun you'd like.

1995 Impala SS
HOOSIER INC
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 AM

Heavy_SS is on a distinguished road

Toyota and Hybrid are 2 words that I can do without in this world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
Yolo!

Eric
'96 BBB-WX3 w/52k
Cam, heads, gears, exhaust!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 AM
ISSF Honey Badger

Big Kahuna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Big Kahuna

Volt, ya dolt!

-----
* BEST of ISSCA 2005 & 2013 * ECIRS CHAMP 2004, 2006, 2012, 2014 * ISSCA Spirit of Chino Award 2012 * SSHS '10 Class A Champ
* 17 ECIRS (East Coast Impala Racing Series) event wins * Bunch of other stuff blah blah* www.ecirs.net - come race with us!
-94 BBB: big block RamJet 502 - partially tuned work in progress - runs 12's so far...way more to come! SOLD 2014!
-95 BBB: The one and only Flambe - Area 51 396 - now with AI swag! 4625 lbs of fun - Original Owner 2-21-95 - HOLY SH1T - 146K miles
........12.23 at 111 NA / 11.72 at 115 baby shot
-96 BBB: Clean, perfect, 38K miles - SOLD 2008 - wrecked by Cracka
-96 BBB: Area 51 Supercharged Best of ISSCA winner - 31K miles - SOLD 2006 - wrecked by Shane

- Cracka: "BK at a sushi restaurant....more devastating to the ocean than a BP oil spill...."
Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Needles.Kain is on a distinguished road

Why not just get something cheap with a small engine, see what you find that you can pay cash for? Hybrids excel at city mileage, not highway...I assume you aren't driving 700 miles worth of highway miles, amirite?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Nor-CalSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Talk to Noel about his ride. I picked his brain for info about his econobox when I was thinking of going that route. He has a lot of good info and you can get a lot more miles with what he has set up.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 AM
ISSF Honey Badger

Big Kahuna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Big Kahuna

Just watch out for when Noel asks you to smell his handkerchief
Old 03-28-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles.Kain View Post
Why not just get something cheap with a small engine, see what you find that you can pay cash for? Hybrids excel at city mileage, not highway...I assume you aren't driving 700 miles worth of highway miles, amirite?
i need to find the closest thing to power and comfort with good mileage as possible....IF i have to ditch the SS, ill be depressed enough. so i need to go with a bigger small car with some power but make it MPG enough that it pays for me to get a car..if i showed you the spreadsheet i have it would make you mind spin lol

actually id say out of 140 miles a day it breaks down to about 4 miles of truly stop and go city driving but yes the rest is interstate or 4 lane state highway except for about 40 miles of 2 lane state road but that moves with zero stops on it..just slow traffic maybe doing 45, sometimes up to 60.

so 136 miles of hiway and 4 city.

oh and i have no cash..just credit cards..which is why i have to basically take the SS gas money and buy a car and pay for gas out of that...at 3.85 a gallon i'm a tad under 600 a month in gas with the SS...a car that gets 35 mpg will cost 338 in gas which leaves 254 for a car pymt. plus the savings in repairs on the SS will add up every month as well even if i go higher with the car pymt.
2014 Impala LTZ; Sold and miss my 95 DCM 262K thanks to all who helped me over the years!; 87 caprice became my snow car in 2000 and it was laid to "rust" in 10/07 with 338K. Rebuilt trans at 308,000 (lasted pretty long I think); new radiator 330,000 (they said it literally disintegrated when they took it off)
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
Just watch out for when Noel asks you to smell his handkerchief
no fair picking on the newbie who has no idea who is who
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM

Location: Benson AZ.- U.S. of A.- where fast cars are non existant too!
95 imp is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 95 imp

man up! v-8's fo evah!

http://www.pcmforless.com
the ONLY man you need for your pcm.

welcome to the b-body tavern, where whoop ass is on tap and drinks are on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.