full cost of going smoothie bumpers - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Exterior
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 04-25-2012, 06:50 PM

bampo52 is on a distinguished road
Default full cost of going smoothie bumpers

anyone have an idea .....bumpers, prep, labor and paint ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 PM

408_LT1 is on a distinguished road

Pretty expensive if the body shop doesn't know how to properly prep bumpers and the common issues come up which means they would have to be prepped again and resprayed. I had mine done for 150.00 a piece, but he knew what needed to be done. Unless u go the fiberglass route, wish i did that from the get go. my .2 cents.
1996 impala ss 72k, Hot cam, Holley TB,Lokar STS throttle & Cruise Control cables,Callaway intake,callaway full exhaust, PCM tune, bagged, B-Body performance frnt&rr sway bars, c3fab rr upper & lwr cntrl arms, shaved body, billet steering wheel, full suede & leather interior, MBA,RMS, DetailSS & ToadHauler enhanced,3 piece wheels,smoothies,gauges...started late, but i'm getting there.

[B]Nor*Cal Inc. cc / ur hate fuels us
Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 AM

but whats the diffrence between smoothies and the rest of the chinese after market crap out there... its all the same type of prepping am i correct ?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 AM

elniperSS is on a distinguished road
Default 408

408.... What do you have there? Fiberglass front and urethane in the rear? What did the cost of those bumpers set you back? Thanks...

1994 Impala SS (One and only original owner)
LT1 383 stroker forged internals / GM aluminum heads / Edlebrock Airgap intake w/ 58mm TB / Arizona S&M cold air and headers / magnaflow cats / Pypes X Violator Exhaust / Yank 3200 w/ trans rebuilt / Eaton posi w/ 3.23 rear........ and others
Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 AM

elniperSs, I do have fiberglass frnt and urethane rr. I originally had a urethane frnt also, but changed the style. I had the usual issues everyone has seen and read about, some do get lucky and have no problems at all. I paid 300.00 each for urethane plus shipping. I'll be changing the rear for fiberglass soon, I really don't like the fitment(gaps).
1996 impala ss 72k, Hot cam, Holley TB,Lokar STS throttle & Cruise Control cables,Callaway intake,callaway full exhaust, PCM tune, bagged, B-Body performance frnt&rr sway bars, c3fab rr upper & lwr cntrl arms, shaved body, billet steering wheel, full suede & leather interior, MBA,RMS, DetailSS & ToadHauler enhanced,3 piece wheels,smoothies,gauges...started late, but i'm getting there.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:23 PM

408 did u buy em off street trends or ebay ?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 PM

Street Trends.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM

jking1118 is on a distinguished road

I have Street Trends urethane Smoothie front a rear. These are made from a different material from stock bumpers and have a different prep and paint process defined. You need a shop that is willing to follow the ST steps to the letter, or you will be doing them again. Also, find a shop that is used to working on newer cars. A shop that does 60's muscle car restoration will take longer and more money to get them installed right.

Expect $2k to $3k total. Maybe a little less of you know someone, but for a full turnkey. Jason at ST told me to expect $800 to $1000 at a reputable body shop. I ended up paying more, a lot more, than I should have needed to pay.

96 Impala SS, DGGM, 2nd owner, 101k miles, #39736 of 41934, Build Date 22 November 1996
96 Caprice Civi L99, bought it new for my Uncle, recently re-acquired
92 Honda Accord 2 door, 353k miles, daily driver
06 Honda Accord 4 door, wife's car
06 GMC K2500 CCSB, 6.6 Duramax/Allison
84 Chevy K10 regular cab, SWB, 305 w/4 spd granny, family truck

Last edited by jking1118; 04-26-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Clarification statement.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1118 View Post
I have Street Trends urethane Smoothie front a rear. These are made from a different material from stock bumpers and have a different prep and paint process defined. You need a shop that is willing to follow the ST steps to the letter, or you will be doing them again. Also, find a shop that is used to working on newer cars. A shop that does 60's muscle car restoration will take longer and more money to get them installed right.

Expect $2k to $3k total. Maybe a little less of you know someone, but for a full turnkey. Jason at ST told me to expect $800 to $1000 at a reputable body shop.
jking is correct... u have to follow the steps ST provides or find a shop who has had experience w/ THESE bumpers.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Baby_Jesus is on a distinguished road

What are the ST prepping steps yall are referring to? Curious as mine came with urethane smoothie bumpers when I purchased my car but they are the original Lionel bumpers who I was told is the guy who created the bumpers from the beginning.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.