tie rods/inner/outer/left/right. - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Suspension
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Spaceman Spiff is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spaceman Spiff
Default tie rods/inner/outer/left/right.

Does it matter? inner/outer/left/right?
Just got all the moog problem solver parts.
Tie rods have different p/n's but look the same. Is it in there movement that determines where they go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 PM

jking1118 is on a distinguished road

One is RH thread and the other is LH thread. Left or right doesn't matter, but inner and outer does. You gotta have one of each on each side for the the tie rod sleeves to work.

96 Impala SS, DGGM, 2nd owner, 99k miles, #39736 of 41934, Build Date 22 November 1996
96 Caprice Civi L99, bought it new for my Uncle, recently re-acquired
92 Honda Accord 2 door, 347k miles, daily driver
06 Honda Accord 4 door, wife's car
06 GMC K2500 CCSB, 6.6 Duramax/Allison
84 Chevy K10 regular cab, SWB, 305 w/4 spd granny, family truck
67 Camaro, body only, Pro Touring planned.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 PM

95wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Typically,
The outer will have the grease fitting opposite the stud in the center of the cap and a slight bend to alter the stud angle.

The inner has the grease fitting out the end and no bend

The First
LS7 T56 6 Speed Wagon
Katech cam , 550 rwhp

Drag strip pics and video
My Wagon
My W-31 Cutlass
Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 AM

Jim Spahr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moog outer tie rod ends are the same p.n.

Left or right, the Moog OUTER tie rods aka The Problem Solver- are same pn-ES2019RLT. I see that you can change out the stock cinch bolt style to a Jam nut style, but there is a considerable increase in money to do that. Is it worth the big difference? Is it a better design as to strength or just easier to adjust?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:18 AM

ogre is on a distinguished road

I just installed the Moog problem solver parts a few days ago. Seems like Moog changed their parts a bit; I was please to see that all were still made in the good ol US of A.

Below is a pic of the old parts. Note how the outers have a bend whereas the inners are straight. As mentioned both sides are the same #s.

I replaced everything so it was an easy drop of the whole assembly. The alignment is still good judging by the tracking and steering wheel orientation. I am doing the ball joints and bushings next with tires and alignment to follow (some time this summer).

Use a tape measure and get a center to center distance for each tie rod assembly. I measured from the center of the grease fitting (outer) to the center of the backside (inner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spahr View Post
I see that you can change out the stock cinch bolt style to a Jam nut style,
Whats that? The sleeve that joins the tie rods? I just installed the typical Moog clamp type sleeve. It is a very nice part (heavy duty). Much better than the old TRW part. The tie rods came with a castle nut and cotter pin.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 AM

Jim Spahr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I was talking about the 'tie rod sleeve.'

I didn't make it very clear, but I was thinking about the tie rod sleeve. I see the jam nut type is a solid tube, where the stock cinch bolt type is slit length wise to allow the two bolts to squeeze it tight. It looks like the jam nut style is inherently a stronger unit.
Some one mentioned grease fittings above. Anyone here using the grease fitting caps (like me) to keep out the grit and grime?
BTW my pass. side outer tie rod was dangerously loose. I think the pass. side wears before the driver's side because of the extra beating it takes: from curbs and from the off road onto the shoulder swerves. It would be a great idea to check those tie rods and other suspension parts for play.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM

ogre is on a distinguished road

Sparh
You are correct on the pass side outer tie rod. That was worn a lot more than any other part...as you said dangerously loose.

Whurd ya git the fitting caps?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:54 PM

ScottLC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I didn't make it very clear, but I was thinking about the tie rod sleeve. I see the jam nut type is a solid tube, where the stock cinch bolt type is slit length wise to allow the two bolts to squeeze it tight. It looks like the jam nut style is inherently a stronger unit.
These?

Got a pair laying around somewhere waiting for me to actually do the front end work.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
rage, rage against the dying of the light!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Navy Lifer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
....I was thinking about the tie rod sleeve. I see the jam nut type is a solid tube, where the stock cinch bolt type is slit length wise to allow the two bolts to squeeze it tight. It looks like the jam nut style is inherently a stronger unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLC View Post
These?

There are a number of sources for solid adjuster sleeves, and I'm not knocking any of them, per se--I've got 'em on my SS. The OE parts are not necessarily inferior--the design allows the sleeves to become sacrificial in an impact situation to potentially reduce damage to other more expensive parts of the steering linkage/gear or suspension - especially steering gear & steering arms/knuckles.

OE also looks at cost vs benefit--do the minimum necessary to control cost.

Bottom line--stronger is not always better, since it means the high load of an impact will tend to do the most harm at the weak point, and if you modify the system to "beef up" specific areas, it means the potential damage from a high load situation will typically move to the new weak(est) point(s)--which could involve more expensive parts than adjuster sleeves, in this case.
ISSCA #127
inov8r@windstream.net
Old 05-24-2012, 09:39 AM

1slow96 is on a distinguished road
Default tie rods/inner/outer/left/right.

I like the solid sleeves both for their appearance,and ease of use. My big gripes on the factory style is they tend to fill up with dirt/rust,and are often difficult to adjust down the road. I also like the little plastic caps for grease fittings. I think Eastwood carries them 100/bag, very inexpensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.