my 86 Caddy FWB 350 project ("hooptielac") thread - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91 thru 96 B-body Model Specific > Complete Car Builds
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 PM

cadillac kevin is on a distinguished road
Default my 86 Caddy FWB 350 project ("hooptielac") thread

I figured I'd finally start a thread on my 1986 fleetwood brougham project car since I finally got it back on the road after almost 2 years.
In April of 2010, I decided to look for a V8 RWD mid size or full size car for my first car. After finding nothing but lemons on craigslist, I finally found a good one. I was at my mechancis shop with my dad because he needed to pay the mechanic for work on his wagon. When we pulled in, I noticed an old tan cadillac sitting on the parking lot. Wen I was talking to the mechanic, I mentioned something about how I liked that old tan caddy on the lot. Well, the owner walked up behind me and said "so you like my car?" I said yes, to which he replied "you wanna buy it?" I laughed, figuring he was joking. My mechanic then said, "no, he's seriously selling it." I asked him how much and he said $1500, which was within my $2000 budget. I looked it over and figured it was worth it (it had some body damage and reeked of cigarettes, but it looked nice). He told me that the car belonged to his boss' mom, who was the original owner (she was 90 when he bought it, so she would have been 67 or so when she bought it new). He said that his car died, and his boss sold him the car because his mom hadn't driven it in 5 or 10 years and he needed transportation to get to work. It did burn alot of oil thanks to the leaking valve covers. The niece of the owner and my dad met the next day to buy the car (since both of us were busy) and my dad paid $1500 for it. the leftover money went towards plating the car and fixing the severely leaking head gaskets and missing exhaust pipe.
I then spent a few weekends cleaning the interior to make it smell less like a nasty bowling alley and cleaned off a couple years worth of dirt off the body.
pics right after I got it. Oddly, despite the rust on the doors, the body is clean.

I originally bought the car with the thought of getting cheap reliable transportation to take me to and from college. I had no plans of fixing it up or keeping it for anywhere past a year or 2. Then I got attached to it. In december of 2010, I was sideswiped by an old lady in a malibu, and the impact blew the headgasket on the left cylinder bank. I already had a couple grand into fixing pretty much everything that goes wrong on these old cars (well, everything except the shocks), so I parked it while I saved up to do a drivetrain swap (which I was planning on anyways).
this is what happens when an old lady in a 90s malibu changed lanes across your front end. I don't have a pic, but her drivers side rear door was caved in 3 inches.

Fast forward 1.5 years, and I had bought a set of bravada buckets for it. not bad for $42 + $3 of goop to clean them (matching console was an additional $15)

I also started treating the rust on the car. Paint hides alot of damage.
I left the rust holes (treated the rust with naval jelly and duplicolor rust converter in a can) and have had 0 problems with the door holding water anymore.

Thanks to the local junkyard, I also picked up some clear front signal lights, fillers, and audio equipment for my car (spend $40 or $50 total).
previous vehicles
1987 chevy silverado "the beast" 115k motor donor.
1991 olds cutlass cruiser wagon. 180k. 3300 with high flow injectors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 08:51 PM

Since then, I have also picked up a set of rear fillers for a whopping $30 (for all 4 and an extra left filler)

After buying a dud engine from my neighbor for $350 (and subsequently returning said engine for a refund), I picked up a new motor for $650, in the form of a clapped out 1987 silverado slathered in bondo

when I first came to the shop that had the truck, I was very leery about the condition of the truck (which was owned by the owner of the shop (named cheapie's used tires). ...yeah, that seems totally safe and not shady at all

the truck actually died during test drive when my dad turned it off to change fuel tanks and couldn't get it to refire. The worker who was selling the truck drove down with his truck, swapped batteries, fired up the silverado, and switched the batteries back. Aside from the burnt out trans (due to a shoddy rebuild), and a slightly leaking valve cover, the test drive went smoothly and I was able to drive the truck an hour and a half back home.

aside from modifying the drivers side motor mount bracket to allow the motor to drop down 2 inches, the motor fit right in.
old motor out

new motor in

I then ran into a problem with the (new) transmission
it leaked

thankfully the transmission company took it back and sent out another one for free. total delay was about 2 weeks (including installing the new trans) due to shipping.
I also picked up another center console for the caddy. It was ugly as is, but it had potential under the dirt and finish (or lack thereof).
donor vehicle:

mockup

which leads me up to this week, when the drivetrain installation was completed and it was fired for the first time by me.
previous vehicles
Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 PM

more console pics

and firing up the 350 for the first time
note: crank the volume if you want the real experience
I highly recommend turning down your volume though, as the car is incredibly loud.
sorry my hand kept getting in the way.
previous vehicles
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 PM

Rocko350 is on a distinguished road

Great work! keep going man! If you can find a fan spacer, get that fan n the shroud so you dont cook your motor.

Chris
Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko350 View Post
Great work! keep going man! If you can find a fan spacer, get that fan n the shroud so you dont cook your motor.

Chris
thats on the list. I was thinking about maybe extending the fan shroud with sheetmetal until I can find a 90-92 sbc powered FWB fan shroud
previous vehicles
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 AM

96 Black is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm In

The only thing more fun than working over a rig is watching someone else do theirs. I notice you've got a varied fleet to pick from each day.

I'm in to keep up with your progress.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Oh Bob, It's So Big And Long!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
\'96 BBB: SSRI, Herter Tune, Tri-Y II, SLP SS, 3000 Edge, F/HO bars, METCO extendeds, Bilsteins, currently Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (315/35 rear)
\'95 FTSS: total mono gray, SSRI, Anthony tune, Aero catback/H/resonators, SS bars and coils, Hotchkis LCAs, Bilsteins/Airlift 1000, NL rear discs
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 PM

C.R.T.M. is on a distinguished road

Lookin good so far! I dont miss all that rust, I know what you're dealing with since I lived in the "rust belt" for 17 years!

I always loved these big cars. My mom's ex-husband had one when I was little in 1989, brand new. I remember sitting in the back seat and messing with the cigarette lighter in the doors, and counting the "ducks" on the Cadillac crest on the floor mats
So I turn the music up louder pissin off police.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 PM

worked on my console some more. It's almost done.

I'm putting in a switchplate here (for seat lumbar, TC lockup, and fog lamps) I'm also thinking about having the amp installed face up to show it off (its an old kenwood rack mount style amp from the early 80s)

also thinking about putting a cupholder here (but a practical one, not one made for super jumbo coffee cups)
previous vehicles
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 PM

also, here are engine pics

previous vehicles
Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 PM

went junkyarding last weekend (what else is there to do in MO for fun? )
Found a gorgeous 86 fleetwood brougham d'elegance (black with black top, gold pinstriping, and tan leather interior) and promptly laid siege to the land yacht. It has been hit on the rear end, turning one of the taillight assemblies 90 degrees (and obliterating it and the bumper) and shoving the quarter panel forward about 2 inches (it crumpled, so all the doors still opened fine)
I spent 90 dollars and walked away with a d'elegance rear seat, 3 door panels (someone destroyed it in the yard to remove the switch panel ), a set of floor mats, a set of power mirrors (hard to find), a factory AM/FM/ETR cassette CB radio (very rare), a surround for said radio, all door bottom chrome, the left rocker chrome piece, a radio and surround to sell, and lighted wood from above windows (will be made into window ledges) for the shagfari van.

A friend of mine in wisconsin also sent me a ton of tapes

Also, while I was in the junkyard, I saw this sad early 80s electra wagon. It appears to have hit a solid object at very high speeds. None of the doors opened (including the tailgate), all the windows were blown out, and the passengers side dash was about a foot from the passengers headrest

I also saw this.
In talking with the tow truck driver who had just dropped it off, he told me that a dad bought it for his daughter for her 16th birthday. She then rolled it a couple weeks later.

Also, a friend of mine suggested I skin the front d'elegance seats and get the tuft transferred over to the centers of my bravada buckets
thoughts?

(pic of bravada buckets)
previous vehicles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.