Automatic trunk pull down, vs static striker. - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91 thru 96 B-body Model Specific > Fleetwood
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-29-2012, 04:41 PM

The Dude is on a distinguished road
Default Automatic trunk pull down, vs static striker.

I have had 2 different pull down motors break on me. The plastic base cracks bear the bolts. i was wondering if I could switch it out for a static trunk striker out of a caprice/roadmaster. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 07:55 PM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

Some of the roadmasters had the pull downs, so that should not be an issue. I am not sure if the strikers can be unbolted. You may have to do a little cutting.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Kiehl View Post
Some of the roadmasters had the pull downs, so that should not be an issue. I am not sure if the strikers can be unbolted. You may have to do a little cutting.
Ok, no prob. My brother has a 95 caprice, but his trunk is currently stuck shut, otherwise I would have popped his open and looked. I might just have to fab something up. I pulled off the tag light and looked around. I am pretty sure the trunk lock relocation mod people with caprices have been doing will work on the Fleetwood, so I will be trying that in the next week or so. have a lot of people coming over for New Years, so it will have to wait till after that.

PS, Thanks for all your help Fred. You are a bucket of knowledge on these cars. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 AM

Goldmaster is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure about all years, but I know at least some of the strikers unbolt from the Roadmasters. I've sold a few of them before.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM

cletus284 is an unknown quantity at this point

The switch screwed up on my parents' '93 Brougham. I was able to feed power to the pull down motor until it ran all the way down, then I unplugged the system so it would not raise back up when the trunk was popped. Now it's just like having a normal striker.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus284 View Post
The switch screwed up on my parents' '93 Brougham. I was able to feed power to the pull down motor until it ran all the way down, then I unplugged the system so it would not raise back up when the trunk was popped. Now it's just like having a normal striker.
Thats how mine was until the plastic broke, the whole assembly came apart and the trunk popped open with part of it dangling from the latch. I wired the latch back together best I could so the trunk stays shut. I dont want to buy another electric one and have it break for a third time. I found a picture of a roadmaster striker and it mounts the same, so I am going to him up some local yards to find one.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 AM

Goldmaster is on a distinguished road

I've had both setups before and prefer not having the pulldown motor. I could never break the habit of slamming the trunk lid down lol. If it would close the lid on it's own without having to push it down, then it might be worth keeping, but as-is, it's just one more part to break IMO.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmaster View Post
it's just one more part to break IMO.
My thoughts exactly. It's not hard to close the trunk, so as far as I'm concerned, its pointless.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM

I went to my local you-pull today asked if they had any Caprices or Roadmasters, and the guy laughed and shook his head. I guess they either dont get any in there or they scrap them immediately. However I did pick up a Durango center console in perfect condition. I already cut off the center section of my seat. I am planning on fiberglassing the front portion to hold 2 gauges and 4 manual paddle valves. Cant wait to get this in. I will most likely be starting a build thread once I get this underway. I will be putting up pics of my suspension as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

These Blazer consoles are good for gauges without fiberglassing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	console4.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	27176  
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.