tail light lens adhesive? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Exterior
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM

Kilgore is on a distinguished road
Default tail light lens adhesive?

I have a pair of 91 tails but I didn't like the way they came out (plus one just got cracked) and I want to remove the red lense and replace them with another lens.

what adhesive do I use to glue the red lens to the black piece that the lights connect to?

96 impala 40k
95 caprice 45k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 PM

Fred Kiehl is on a distinguished road

Windshield urethane should work, but you may not be able to get them apart again.
1991 OCC upgraded LO5, LT1 cam, 46mm TBI, bored intake manifold, wrapped headers, true duals w/Flowmasters, 3.23 posi, flash to pass, drop spindles & springs, custom fender skirts, stainless full moons, Recaros, Blazer console, Nardi/wood SW w/QR, custom wood shift knob, Pioneer DEH P77DH
1992 OCC now with 5.7 tbi, SS wheels. DEH P77DH
For a parts list, check Plenty of good parts
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM

4DoorSS is on a distinguished road

Check the Internet for the process of installing projector headlights. I remember seeing videos on how you split the lens and back housing from each other. The process would be very similar for tail lights.

Can't remember for sure but think they baked them a bit to loosen the adhesive and then used silicon to reseal them.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned

DougDePew is on a distinguished road

It's essentially a 3M rope caulk that's used to put them together in the first place, and you can get that at auto body supply shops
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 PM

I don't think it is just that 3m strip caulk as that is not very permanent. I saw a vid on YouTube where they retrofitted projector bulbs in stock housings. They heated the whole lens capsule in an oven, the pryed the 2 halves apart while still warm. Later when they reassembled, they heated the adhesive back up and clamped the halves together.

My company is a 3rd tier part provider to a lot of companies and one of the things we make are headlamp and axel vents in my plant. Our engineers typically take these apart for testing and fabrication work. I'll check with one of them and see if I can find out what exactly is used on the halves from the factory.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM

96SSbbb is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/buckets.html

Disassembly/Assembly FAQ

Q: What sort of sealant do you use when putting the lenses back together?

A: I used black RTV sealant available at most automotive stores (I got mine at a local Advance Auto Parts) under the brand name; VersaChem, Black RTV Silicone sealant TYPE 270, in a 3 OZ tube.

You will need 2 ea. tubes to adequately do the job.

>Also, will the new seal be weather resistant?

Provided you clean all the old putty out and put a bead in the sealant channel so the lens can touch the bead to a depth of 1/4", you will have no problem. Technically, the lens is not sealed air tight as it has two drain holes/slots on the bottom edge to allow any water that migrates in to drain out via gravity feed. All you should be concerned with is the top and side mating surfaces be sealed effectively. If you do not care to use silicone sealant you can use and alternative windshield tube-seal sold on a roll. This is very simular to the OEM sealant.

ISSCA# 930
Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 PM

Kilgore is on a distinguished road

thank you!

96 impala 40k
95 caprice 45k
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM

Oh, so the tail lamps are NOT sealed unit like the headlamps are...good to know. Usually when headlamp seals fail, you see condensation inside and that's what our vents help to eliminate.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM

JOHNER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96SSbbb View Post

A: I used black RTV sealant available at most automotive stores (I got mine at a local Advance Auto Parts) under the brand name; VersaChem, Black RTV Silicone sealant TYPE 270, in a 3 OZ tube.
X2 On the black RTV,thats what I used on my tail lenses,worked great! Good time to add chrome tape to them buckets...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:33 PM

talked to one of our Process Engineers about what the companies like Guide use to put the 2 halves together. He said it is typically a Butyl type caulk that they can order from McMaster car if they need to.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#butyl-rubber-tape/=kw4c7s
He also said they've just used RTV when doing testing and that works fine.

We have an Oven here for warming the headlamps to remove the lens. This allows them to add sensors and vents for testing. We also have a walkin weather test booth for testing the HL's and putting them through all sorts of weather cycles while they can monitor how the light and the vent is performing. I have seen other vehicle taillights here but those must be sealed units. On some of the on car testing Ive seen, they have to remove the front bumper just to replace the headlights....damn car designers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.