Would you have sold?? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > General Topics > Misc.
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 AM

91CapClassic is on a distinguished road
Default Would you have sold??

Was filling up the Caprice last night at the local gas station and got blinded sided of sorts. It's fairly common for someone to stop and talk for a minute about the Caprice and say how clean it is and that they like it yada, yada, yada but last night was different. I was getting in after paying and heard a honk but didn't know who it was from or aimed towards so I just ignore it and fire up the car. The car pulls up to the pump next to me and hops out asking me roll my window down. normally I'd just ignore and drive off cuz you don't know what kind of crazies are around these days but this guy looked nice enough and i could tell he wasn't asking for money so I rolled the window down. The first thing out of this guy's mouth was how much would you sell this for. I was a bit surprised and said what??? LOL Long story short he threw out $2500. Knowing how eager he obviously is and I don't really want to sell it I threw out a counter offer for $4k talking about the ridiculous low mileage (58k now), no dents or rust, relatively spotless interior,..... In the end he saved my number so we'll see if he calls or not and if he does I'm still not sure I want to sell it.

How many of you have been approached like this and would you have sold my car for $2500? Since my grandma bought it new in '91 I probably over value it a little bit and if I was actually looking to sell it I probably would have taken 2500......maybe

In the Garage:
1977 C-10...full restomod and my ever evolving project
1991 Caprice...http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=274326
2007 Suburban...Wife's DD with a nice list of mods that continues to grow

I have build threads on all of these. Just ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM

1slow96 is on a distinguished road
Default Would you have sold??

I guess you need to decide if your car is for sale (mine is not),what if he had accepted your counter-offer? Either you look like a moron,or get rid of a car you like for a few dollars. I've sold cars,and regretted it. This car won't be one of them.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 AM

Lil' Ope is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had kind of a similar experience with a jeep of mine. Was a 94 grand cherokee with a factory 5-speed, very rare, something like 1500 made between 93-94. Was still in really nice shape, daily driver, nice wheels and tires, i had about 1650 in it and had only put about 4k miles on it. Filled it up at the gas station, got ready to pull off and it just cut off, wouldn't crank up. Dude there started asking me about it as i was waitin on the car trailer to arrive and he offered to buy it and asked how much, i really didn't want to sell it, but not knowing exactly what was wrong with it, i told him 2K, he said 1500 and i told him 2K and i would drop it off at his house as soon as i left the gas station. He said 1800 and i gave him my number and told him to call me the next day to see if i still wanted to sell it after i tried to diagnose problem. Next day i spent a lil' time and figured out it was a bad coil, 20 dollars later it was good to go. Drove it another 4k miles, and done a few more things to it, had $2k in it, sold it for a 3300.

Last edited by Lil' Ope; 01-07-2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slow96 View Post
I guess you need to decide if your car is for sale (mine is not),what if he had accepted your counter-offer? Either you look like a moron,or get rid of a car you like for a few dollars. I've sold cars,and regretted it. This car won't be one of them.
Yeah, and that's kinda where I'm at with that. I don't need to or want to sell the car as I like it and it's been a great car to drive. I'm sure some of you guys get these offers fairly often with how nice your rides are but I've not gotten used to this yet

In the Garage:

Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 AM

jking1118 is on a distinguished road

I don't want to sell my car, but if someone offered me an absolutely ridiculously high price, I probably would sell it. I am not the original owner nor does it have any family or sentimental value to me. The money would have to be enough that I could just get and build a replacement that is even better. I have other cars I really regret selling, mostly due to the sentmental value they hold for me now.

96 Impala SS, DGGM, 2nd owner, 101k miles, #39736 of 41934, Build Date 22 November 1996
96 Caprice Civi L99, bought it new for my Uncle, recently re-acquired
92 Honda Accord 2 door, 353k miles, daily driver
06 Honda Accord 4 door, wife's car
06 GMC K2500 CCSB, 6.6 Duramax/Allison
84 Chevy K10 regular cab, SWB, 305 w/4 spd granny, family truck

Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 AM

OG_DSGB is on a distinguished road
Default no way

58k original miles, interior spotless, and no rust. no way would i let that go and especially not for 25 nor 4k, if somebody said 6 i might start to consider. your probably not gonna find one in that shape too easy. i dunno, thats just me. whats the bluebook for that? probably not worth true street value
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 AM

LowMileage91 is on a distinguished road
Default $10,000

That's what I say when someone ask if mine is for sale.

'91 base Caprice. 34,253 miles. Inherited from my father-in-law's cousin when he passed. He bought it new in May, 1990. Had 21,000 when I started driving it. He was retired about 5 years at the time he bought it. Drove it to grocery store, Doctor's, pharmacy. Car has never been out of Florida.

The two cars I would look at will cost around $10,000 each. Either one would do.

Mid 90s Lexus LS400 or '91 Corvette. No particular reason other than I like both of them.

Otherwise, I am perfectly happy driving My Caprice and planning on whatever modifications I can afford. And safe in my belief there is no one foolish enought to give me my price.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 AM

96SSbbb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CapClassic View Post
would you have sold my car for $2500?

I'd have sold your car in a heartbeat, I need more ammo money.

j/k I feel the same way, my pop's 63 Starfire just sits in the shop and I have no real plans for it. Just not something I can get rid of.

ISSCA# 930
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 AM

OG_DSGB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1118 View Post
I don't want to sell my car, but if someone offered me an absolutely ridiculously high price, I probably would sell it. I am not the original owner nor does it have any family or sentimental value to me. The money would have to be enough that I could just get and build a replacement that is even better. I have other cars I really regret selling, mostly due to the sentmental value they hold for me now.
yeah, same here. i would sell my 95 but only to add a lil extra cash and buy one in better shape, or maybe a 96. wanted a 96 originally but came across a deal on the 95. kinda regret it. trust your heart, dont make a quick decision for a few bucks
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96SSbbb View Post
I'd have sold your car in a heartbeat, I need more ammo money.
LOL

Quote:
j/k I feel the same way, my pop's 63 Starfire just sits in the shop and I have no real plans for it. Just not something I can get rid of.
Yeah, I hear ya. Something about a car that was bought new by a close family member. That really throws a wrench into things sometimes especially when it drives so good and is a dependable daily driver even at 22 years old It'll be interesting to see if he calls or not about my counter-offer but I doubt he will

In the Garage:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.