Wild 95 lt1...here's the problem - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM

hotrodjunky1982 is on a distinguished road
Default Wild 95 lt1...here's the problem

I picked up a Camaro with a rebuilt LT 1 and 6 speed transmission to swap the transmission in the 79 caprice. it came with a rebuilt motor with less than 10 miles on it that's got a way crazy cam in it. the guy said it needs smaller injectors or re tune its tuned for e85 but it runs way too rich. I want to list the parts that this motor contains and tell me what you think I can do to tame this motor down to put to use in my Caprice. he have the block hot tank to magnaflux and pressure tested. the main was line honed an ARP main bolts were put in. the cylinders were honed and the crank rods and pistons were checked the assembly was balanced the cam bearings freeze plugs and galley plugs were all installed by Big Al's toy box.

Danbury competition engines did a valve job with minimal port work and the receipt says .506 cam w 1.6.

the valve springs are 1.075 inches outside diameter 372 pound inches reate 1.100 inch coil bind

hi tech roller race timing set

steel valve spring retainer steel 7 degree 1.05 5 inches outside diameter .640 inside diameter

comp cam extreme energy can be shafted hydro roller tap it advertised duration 290/ 307 lift .510 / .540 LT 1 LT 4

hi tech pushrods chrome moly he treated 5 sixteenths diameter 7.200 inches length

high performance series rocker arm studs 3/8 - 24 inch thread 1.895 inch affective stud length this may be wrong because it says it's a Ford part

Harland sharp roller rockers rocker arms stud mount full roller aluminum 1.6 ratio fits 3 eighths inch stud

stock lt1 lt4 pistons for bored 40 over

there's more but that's enough I haven't researched the parts but the car runs like crap and I would like to know if it would be easy to tame down because the motor is like brand new. Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 PM

cletus284 is an unknown quantity at this point

From what you've posted, I can tell you don't have much experience building engines. Comp Xtreme Energy cams are going to be on the edge of being streetable. That's going to make it a challenge to tune, and its not going to idle well or make low-end torque. Also, this engine got new pistons and an overbore, not just a cylinder hone, since it says it's 0.040" overbored.

You'll do better with this question in the engine performance section.

Also, you need to state what you want to do with the car. Race? Street/strip? Daily driver/weekend cruiser?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:27 PM

No experience building engines myself. I was told it was basically a drag cam and the car has 11.5:1 compression ratio.I figured the cam was way to crazy to be streetable. i was given a fat stack of receipts with the car. Id love to leave it attached to the transmission and put the whole thing in my daily driver 79 caprice. My goal would be a good strong street engine. It should idle well...at minimum be tolerable in traffic. I would like to do as little as possible with THIS engine to make it liveable on the street. I know the cam, huge injectors,electric water pump and e85 tune must go. What else? I also have the option of swapping to carb or ez efi. The wiring in this car is shoddy at best.

Last edited by hotrodjunky1982; 01-15-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM

cletus284 is an unknown quantity at this point

At a minimum, your cam and PCM tune must change. Enlist the help of a knowledegable tuner/builder to determine whether or not you can use the injectors. If you've got all the engine/trans wiring from the Camaro, I'd recommend sticking with the factory EFI.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus284 View Post
At a minimum, your cam and PCM tune must change. Enlist the help of a knowledegable tuner/builder to determine whether or not you can use the injectors. If you've got all the engine/trans wiring from the Camaro, I'd recommend sticking with the factory EFI.
The wiring is shoddy at best. Im going to get a milder cam and ez efi and dump the factory crap.(i can always use the parts for my stock 95 z28) i think that is the easiest way to get what i want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.