Broken Samsung Galaxy SIII screen, anybody replace one? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > General Topics > Misc.
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Small vendor

GN 1220 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broken Samsung Galaxy SIII screen, anybody replace one?

I just got my phone for Christmas and two days ago I was pushing my son on his swing and the phone fell out of my pocket and shattered the screen. No ins. Sprint wants $500 for a new phone and the cheapest repair estimate is $240. But while searching Youtube I found a lot of videos of guys replacing the glass themselves with a $20 replacement from e-bay. It looks a little intimidating but I'm pretty sure I can handle it. Before I tear into this thing I just wanted to see if anyone has done this or had it done and if there are any tips/tricks to make it a little easier.

'94 Jadestone Metallic RMW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 AM

Goldmaster is on a distinguished road

I replaced a screen on my old Samsung Omnia 2 phone. It wasn't that difficult, just a little tedious when you have fat fingers lol. Also replaced a screen on my digital camera. It's definitely doable.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 AM

benn is on a distinguished road

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/9...d+glass+screen

"The glass is fused to the display, and the display to the Galaxy S III's frame. These are most certainly very difficult to separate. You are more likely to break the LCD as well by even trying. Even if you could do it successfully, you will still have to find a way to "glue" them back together. I don't think there are any cheap options at this time."

according to that answer it doesn't sound too good
Old 01-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Small vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benn View Post
http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/9...d+glass+screen

"The glass is fused to the display, and the display to the Galaxy S III's frame. These are most certainly very difficult to separate. You are more likely to break the LCD as well by even trying. Even if you could do it successfully, you will still have to find a way to "glue" them back together. I don't think there are any cheap options at this time."

according to that answer it doesn't sound too good
This is a response from that site:

"The digitizer CAN most certainly be carefully removed from the frame and LED on the Sprint Galaxy SIII model. I run a repair shop and I was able to complete the repair by slowly and carefully heating with a heat gun and separating with a plastic pencil-type spudger. The adhesive used to fuse the digitizer and display in the SIII is much softer and more pliable than the adhesive used in iPhone (which I have never seen separated properly). The display on the SIII's is a very thin and very expensive OLED, so I proceeded with the greatest of caution, not knowing sure if it was possible, and also not having a spare display if something went wrong. When you order the replacement digitizer, upon receiving it looks wrong, as it is just the glass with no cables as you would find on a standard digitizer. But that is all you need, assuming that it is just the digitizer that is broken. I can not speak for models other than the dark-blue Sprint SIII. Also, I only did the one phone, so I can not say whether all Sprint SIII's are this cooperative, but I successfully completed that job. One other note: I only re-adhered the edges of the digitizer to the back to the phone, I DID NOT attempt to re-adhere the entire viewing portion of the digitizer back to the viewing portion of the LED; I could see no situation in which I would be able to pull that off and still have a clean viewing area. I have some pictures of the repair that I took during dissasembly to insure everything went back where it was supposed to, I can share those if anyone wants. Take your time, go twice as slow and three times as carefully as you want to, and this job can be completed."

I watched 5 or 6 videos of people doing it using only a heat gun and they do seperate. I could post the them but didn't figure you guys would want to sit through 10-20 minute videos of guys fixing a phone. I thought maybe somebody here might have done it themselves.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 PM

eagle-co94 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to look up spudger to see WTH it is. I got two of them with my iphone 4 screen and that seems simple to replace in comparison. If it's got anything to do with the Note II screen, that thing is like $250 for the part. I'd see if you can find any youtube video tutorials that might give you an idea. That's what gave me the confidence to disassemble my iphone 4. The screen only cost me $40 though, so I'm thinking the price difference is directly proportional to the difficulty level. For your sake and mine I hope I'm wrong. I'm using a Note II now and hope I never have to deal with that.

96 BBB SS - BBHP #123-4.56
05 CTS-V ~ 07 Magnum SRT8 ~ 10 SRT8 Challenger ~ 81 DeLorean DMC-12 ~ 85 Austin Mini - RHD on 10's
ISSCA #1830...expired
Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Small vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
I had to look up spudger to see WTH it is. I got two of them with my iphone 4 screen and that seems simple to replace in comparison. If it's got anything to do with the Note II screen, that thing is like $250 for the part. I'd see if you can find any youtube video tutorials that might give you an idea. That's what gave me the confidence to disassemble my iphone 4. The screen only cost me $40 though, so I'm thinking the price difference is directly proportional to the difficulty level. For your sake and mine I hope I'm wrong. I'm using a Note II now and hope I never have to deal with that.

I can get the screen/glass on e-bay for $20. That is all they replace in the videos as there phones are working fine, just has a cracked glass like mine.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM

eagle-co94 is an unknown quantity at this point

For $20 there's not much of a loss if it doesn't work provided you don't to any damage when inside the phone.

96 BBB SS - BBHP #123-4.56
05 CTS-V ~ 07 Magnum SRT8 ~ 10 SRT8 Challenger ~ 81 DeLorean DMC-12 ~ 85 Austin Mini - RHD on 10's
ISSCA #1830...expired
Old 01-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Small vendor

That was my big concern and why I wanted to see if anyone here had actually done it.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 AM

RE LAC SN is on a distinguished road

I've replaced several touchscreens and like has been said just take your time and if you get frustrated take a short break. The last phone I did I had to use a double sided 3m adhesive that I got off ebay in a sheet and cut to size. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:24 PM

Mista M is on a distinguished road

no experience, but otter box is protecting mine. can find them cheap on amazon

"..At the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly.."
TEDDY ROOSEVELT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.