Did I just blow a head gasket? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 AM

ocala is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Did I just blow a head gasket?

Here's the story,

My SES light has come on and off intermittently for the last two days. I also noticed what seemed to be less power. Also a strange exhaust smell now and then.

So today, I get in the car and when I go to start it - KLUNK, tried three times, each time - KLUNK. I could tell that the starter was engaging properly, with torque. NOT a battery issue.

On the fourth time the engine started. Sounded OK but very slightly rough, like possibly a cylinder misfiring.

After it started, I quickly saw A LOT of whitish steamy smoke coming out of the exhaust. More than I have ever seen before.

I gently pulled it back in the garage and shut it down. Drove my F250 to work and here I am.

So does this sound like a blown head gasket?
95 DGGM 396 Stroker, Eagle crank & rods, LT4 heads, LT4 intake, LT4 hot cam, Finish Line long tube headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, Big Baer brakes, 3.73 rear, Hotchkis lowering springs, Front and rear Hotchkis Sway bars, aluminum driveshaft, Metco aluminum boxed trailing arms, K&N, Gary's Cables, 42# Green Giants, T84's,T56 Magnum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 AM

95Chwagon is on a distinguished road

I think you answered your own question. Any amount of white smoke isn't a good thing. Another sure sign is losing coolant or rising temperature.

Is it both exhaust pipes? If it is only one, at least you only need to rework one side. Hopefully you caught it soon enough before you warped the heads.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Default Can't say which side

I have what is like a Y pipe, exhaust goes from two to one 5" and back to two. I guess I could pull the exhaust and see which side...
95 DGGM 396 Stroker, Eagle crank & rods, LT4 heads, LT4 intake, LT4 hot cam, Finish Line long tube headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, Big Baer brakes, 3.73 rear, Hotchkis lowering springs, Front and rear Hotchkis Sway bars, aluminum driveshaft, Metco aluminum boxed trailing arms, K&N, Gary's Cables, 42# Green Giants, T84's,T56 Magnum
Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Chwagon View Post
I think you answered your own question. Any amount of white smoke isn't a good thing. Another sure sign is losing coolant or rising temperature.

Is it both exhaust pipes? If it is only one, at least you only need to rework one side. Hopefully you caught it soon enough before you warped the heads.
Regarding catching it before it warped the heads, could this be why the car wouldn't turn over the first three times?

There was NO overheating. I think the water level is OK, but I won't know untill I get home.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 AM

Location: South Central Texas....By Way of the South Side of Chicago!!!!!
KW Baraka is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocala View Post
Regarding catching it before it warped the heads, could this be why the car wouldn't turn over the first three times?.......
Probably didn't start because you had coolent in the combustion chambers of the head that blew the gasket.....of coolent in the cylinder(s) on that bank.

You're lucky you have the steam coming out the exhaust.....I broke three starters (those KLUNKS can be killer ) before we determined that I had a blown head gasket.....never had (or at least, noticed) the white exhaust like you did.

Good luck!!

KW

1995 DCM SS, 355ci

Last edited by KW Baraka; 01-25-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Barbarossa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Barbarossa Send a message via Yahoo to Barbarossa

1996 DCM Impala SS
14.38 @ 93.48
Build Date: 1996-12-05
ISSCA # 2360
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM

infomanSS

Yep, I think that you blew a head gasket. Pulling the spark plugs should show which bank needs to be fixed.

On the bright side, it's a great opportunity to upgrade cam / heads / rockers / etc.

Good luck!
09 Town & Country Ariel
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infomanss View Post
on the bright side, it's a great opportunity to upgrade cam / heads / rockers / etc. :d

good luck!

just what i was thinking:d
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM

luckydriver is on a distinguished road

i blew one last year driving and didnt know it..my temp gauge was broken and only after it shut dont did i realize oops...

funny thing is it was towed home and started right up and i was able to drive it up the driveway (tow guy coudlnt get up the hill)

we took out a plug and watched the stuff pour out..soup everywhere..not fun

also cooked all the oil and heard a noise on the lower end of the motor so decided on a rebuild

i have a new ATK engine now and i'm very happy and just rebuilt the tranny 2 weeks ago i have a brand new car!
2014 Impala LTZ; Sold and miss my 95 DCM 262K thanks to all who helped me over the years!; 87 caprice became my snow car in 2000 and it was laid to "rust" in 10/07 with 338K. Rebuilt trans at 308,000 (lasted pretty long I think); new radiator 330,000 (they said it literally disintegrated when they took it off)
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
i blew one last year driving and didnt know it..my temp gauge was broken and only after it shut dont did i realize oops...

funny thing is it was towed home and started right up and i was able to drive it up the driveway (tow guy coudlnt get up the hill)

we took out a plug and watched the stuff pour out..soup everywhere..not fun

also cooked all the oil and heard a noise on the lower end of the motor so decided on a rebuild

i have a new ATK engine now and i'm very happy and just rebuilt the tranny 2 weeks ago i have a brand new car!

What is an ATK engine? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.