Crank wont Start - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 PM

HeavyChevy2383 is on a distinguished road
Default Crank wont Start

Need some help with my 96 Impala SS. recently start having issues with the car starting, it would crank but wouldnt turn over. Initially I suspected the starter, replaced that, still same issue, did some trouble shooting and narrowed it down to the fuel pressure regulator, replaced that and it immediately turned over but once car was running for over 10-15 min, it started sputtering then eventually died. then back to cranking but not turning over to start. inspected vac lines made sure they were snug made sure all distributor wires were connected correctly, still same issue. suspected it may have been the fuel pump as i have to pump the gas pedal a few times to get it to turn over at all, but as soon as it does, it starts then turns off. checked the forum for info and it had all the issues of a bad fuel pump, got the fuel pressure tested, and the psi was in the range of 40-45, but the manager at autozone looked up the pump and it said idle range for the fuel pressure was about 80 ( obviously not the case ) nonetheless replaced the fuel pump. checked the fuses to ensure none of the underhood fuses were bad for the fuel injectors or pump. once pump was replaced, it ran smooth for about 20 min then back to same issue, started sputtering and back fired a few times and died. then back to crank but no start. really looking for some direction or help on this one.

96 Impala SS
Stock Transmission ( rebuilt 10-2012 )
Stock LT1 ( Rebuilt June 2008 )
Meziere water pump
Ported & Polished Heads
Ram Air SS intake
3'in magnaflow exhaust
BorLa Headers
MSD ignition
22in IROC's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 PM

1slow96 is on a distinguished road
Default 39,000 mile 95 9c1

Ask the guy at AutoZone? You might as well flip a coin. Sounds like he knows even less about the car than you do. These are not good cars to start throwing parts at. Many diagnostic guides exist to help narrow it down. Fuel,and ignition mask each others symptoms. Start there to eliminate one,or the other.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 PM

Agreed ( auto zone mgr ) however before i started buying anything or messing with anything, i looked over the owners manuel, the generic repair guide for the car, and spent days and hours on here reading post's and reply's. trying to match symptoms to narrow it down and thats where i started trying to piece together what was the issue. I did a computer diagnostic on the car, and the only code that came up was for a missing O2 sensor that wasn't installed when i had the pipes and headers replaced.

96 Impala SS
Meziere water pump
Ported & Polished Heads
Ram Air SS intake
3'in magnaflow exhaust
BorLa Headers
MSD ignition
22in IROC's
Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 PM

within the past 3-4 months, ive replaced the distributor ( ac delco ) seals, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, starter and battery. im all about researching and trouble shooting before i pull out the tools, but based off the info ive researched so far, Ive remedied what the obvious issues are. still at a loss, just looking for some advice or direction por favor

96 Impala SS
Meziere water pump
Ported & Polished Heads
Ram Air SS intake
3'in magnaflow exhaust
BorLa Headers
MSD ignition
22in IROC's
Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 PM

1slow96 is on a distinguished road
Default Crank wont Start

The Haynes/Chilton style manuals only take one so (not very) far. The Factory service manual is called for. They show up on ebay,and this forum sometimes. Your public library may have a copy you can look at,and/or photocopy. I seem to recall seeing some pretty good diagnostic posts on this forum too. Try "search" some relevant key words,or browse further in this section. We have all been here at one time,or another. There is an answer,and you will find it. You can do this.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 PM

will do, thanks. S/N: if you or anyone else on here knows of a trustworthy mechanic in the columbus ga area, that knows about our style of car, please post some info or if its on here already please point me in their direction. thanks again

96 Impala SS
Meziere water pump
Ported & Polished Heads
Ram Air SS intake
3'in magnaflow exhaust
BorLa Headers
MSD ignition
22in IROC's
Old 01-27-2013, 11:38 PM

96TXSS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 96TXSS

I had this same problem in my 96 ss and my passkey light was on fulltime. Car would start after a long crank. I unhooked the battery one day for something and when i went to start it after that. Crank wont start. Pass Key was still on fulltime. Decided to break down the steering column and see what was going on with the tumbler. Found one of the white wires leading up to the key tumbler had been sliced in half with little contact if any. I twisted them together and only had some heat shrink wraps so I put that on and put everything together. Cranked right up and the passkey light went off
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 AM

when everything started going haywire, that was suggested to me first and i had a passkey bypass installed. the key i had was getting old and the passkey light was on also. thanks for the info though. ill go back and look over it again, hell at this point it wont hurt

96 Impala SS
Meziere water pump
Ported & Polished Heads
Ram Air SS intake
3'in magnaflow exhaust
BorLa Headers
MSD ignition
22in IROC's
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM

cletus284 is an unknown quantity at this point

When the car stalls, check for the presence of fuel pressure and good spark. It won't have one of these.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 AM

Checked all Info given thus far and still no real direction on what the issue is. Did a check engine light scan and came up with a P0100 & P0372 ( p0100- bad circuit somewhere throughout intake ) (P0372- something to do with timing and weak pulse ) so I'm assuming its an issue with the distributor??

Anyone every have these issues or suggestions on a fix ?

96 Impala SS
Meziere water pump
Ported & Polished Heads
Ram Air SS intake
3'in magnaflow exhaust
BorLa Headers
MSD ignition
22in IROC's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.