air pump delete...cant believe they called the state lol - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Exhaust
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM

luckydriver is on a distinguished road
Default air pump delete...cant believe they called the state lol

this is crazy. my old garage closed last year so i'm taking it to the new one down the road where the old mechanic moved to (ie the guy is familiar with my car but i dont really know the guy). it's in for inspection today and they are questioning the delete. i sent him the TSB and he said he's called the state of PA to see what they say because the tsb came from GM and not the state..unsure why that matters

OMG i never heard of this, i cant believe they are this much a stickler and i am not happy! he agreed it can be disabled but made the argument that the stuff should be in there.. so here i sit like an expectant father waiting. i'm sure the state will come back to him (if at all) and say it has to be there so ill have to call around to see if others wont care.

craziness! i did save the parts but we know what fun it is putting all that back in. especially for just a day
2014 Impala LTZ; Sold and miss my 95 DCM 262K thanks to all who helped me over the years!; 87 caprice became my snow car in 2000 and it was laid to "rust" in 10/07 with 338K. Rebuilt trans at 308,000 (lasted pretty long I think); new radiator 330,000 (they said it literally disintegrated when they took it off)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM

1slow96 is on a distinguished road
Default air pump delete...cant believe they called the state lol

You might get away with putting just some of it back in.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 AM

forgive the caps

PA SAID IT'S OK TO REMOVE THE SYSTEM!!!

i was in shock..so anyone from pennsylvania can do this! he told me 'it's ok to put on the emissions sticker' which was music to my ears!
2014 Impala LTZ; Sold and miss my 95 DCM 262K thanks to all who helped me over the years!; 87 caprice became my snow car in 2000 and it was laid to "rust" in 10/07 with 338K. Rebuilt trans at 308,000 (lasted pretty long I think); new radiator 330,000 (they said it literally disintegrated when they took it off)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 AM

sonuvah
Red face

Take it to a different place. I took mine to three different places before the smog guy let it go. It helps if you have the little TSB sticker. I also need to deal with headers passing with and have the carb sticker too. I go to a smaller smog garage, one that's a little more expensive and not as busy as the other chain ones. He's an old timer with his cigarette hangin out of his mouth and usually reading the paper. Garage unkept and dishelved. I figure this lazy attitude will naturally be a part of an unscrupulous visual inspection of my engine bay. Sorry if that seems like I'm profiling people, but you know what they say, "First impressions are often correct." We all do it whether we admit it or not. The important thing is to be polite to each other, especially with the smog police.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 AM

4DoorSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you mention it to them or did they notice the pump removed? If they noticed anything, I certainly wouldn't tell them about the mod. I would have just downplayed the whole thing like I knew nothing about it and ask them to see how it tests.

Find it hard that they would even notice. Removed mine years ago and never had the mechanic who does my inspections suspect a thing. I did remove the Tube too which if left in place may raise suspicion. I have even taken it to a couple of other shops over the years for inspections and never an issue. My car runs super clean and is always well below the max numbers allowed. In PA, typically if you pass the sniffer and the dyno, you are GTG. Never heard of them doing a vehicle specific Visual inspection.....sounds like Cali.

You should have just found another shop the second that this guy questioned anything and mentioned Harrisburg. Now that they have, they must have your VIN in their (Harrisburg/PENNDOT) system and possibly flagged for this. I hope they dont come back and give you grief over this. Cause technically, the GM process for doing this is to just disable the pump and NOT remove it.

How did the car smog out anyway?

Good Luck and keep us posted.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 AM

repnatl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: air pump delete...cant believe they called the state lol

Around how much does the dealer run for the reprogram for the air delete?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 AM

the mechanic noticed it and i hvae no control over the manager calling the state...he did that on his own. i'm sitting home comfy on my couch and couldnt grab the phone from him or anything lol and i had no idea he was even doing it until i called him 1 hour later and asked him if he got my fax

unsure what you mean about smog out...95 just is visual inspection and the issue was that the system wasnt there. also i asked him point blank if this means in future years i will be ok with him and he said yes. if he's that much a stickler to call the state he better darn well not go back on his word!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 AM

troupp is on a distinguished road

I do the emmissions checks... The fines we get for screwing up a test IS the reason why he called a QAO(Quality Assurance Officer). Better to be safe than fined. And I'm sure the conversation was short and sweet. He said parts are missing, but there is a tsb to disable and QAO said it's fine.. move on. The state quite often sends setup cars in to make sure people are doing the visual checks, so we pay pretty close attention to what is or isn't equipped on the car wether or not you know we looked for it.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM

4DoorSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
the mechanic noticed it and i hvae no control over the manager calling the state...he did that on his own. i'm sitting home comfy on my couch and couldnt grab the phone from him or anything lol and i had no idea he was even doing it until i called him 1 hour later and asked him if he got my fax

unsure what you mean about smog out...95 just is visual inspection and the issue was that the system wasnt there. also i asked him point blank if this means in future years i will be ok with him and he said yes. if he's that much a stickler to call the state he better darn well not go back on his word!
Didn't see your updated post , but it looks like it passed afterall....A win for us PA folk.

I pictured you in the waiting room and him saying "calling Harrisburg now to see if I can confirm this" and then you leaping out of the chair in slooooow Motion running toward him screaming, "Noooooo, hang up the phone"

At least it sounds like the Govment said, it was ok.

By "Smog out" I meant, did they actually test it anyway and what were the numbers from the exhaust, did it pass or Fail? But it sounds like you are ok now. I was just worried when I saw that cause you never know what some Wise Politician (oxymoron) is going to attempt next. You might not have been around when PA attempted the whole "EnviroTest" fiasco with a privately owned company doing all smog tests. It would have been a nightmare for drivers if that did not get shot down.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 AM

no anyone that waits for SI in PA is crazy...at least at my garage i dont even know if they would let you. never know what it would need etc. and thankfully no sniffer for the 95s cause i have no idea if i would pass or not. dont they just check the gas cap or something?

i do remember they paid hundreds of millions as a cancel penalty for the smog company before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.