Check Engine Light after doing Air pump disable. - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Engine Problems/Maintenance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 PM

KameleonSS
Default Check Engine Light after doing Air pump disable.

I have a 95 Impala SS and after doing the air pump disable it was causing me to get a CEL took it to a local shop to have it the code scanned it came back with a code 29 which is Air pump circuit. Is this common and if so what is causing it being a 95 I was under the impression that I didn't need a reprogram of my computer to do the air pump disable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM

Narc 9c1 is on a distinguished road

Check the pump fuse. I'm pretty sure you need to keep it and the relay in place so that the computer thinks it's still there.

95 9C1: Purchase Price: $1k -- AI 190cc Heads/cam, 355 Bottom End, 58mm BK TB, Intake Ported by AI, CIA Quad-1 Long Tubes w/ Export Pipes, Beefed up 4l60 w/ Yank SS3200 TC, 3:73s, Eaton Truetrac, SS Rearend, Eibach Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, PPM Front End, C3Fab 5/8 Extended Control Arms, SS Interior...
53 Studebaker Starliner: sold!
69 Grand Prix
Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

DougDePew is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure a search here would answer this
Old 02-22-2013, 05:18 PM

KameleonSS

Pretty sure I did a search and did not find the answer. I am sick and tired of reading post and seeing someone respond with the do a search the search on here sucks now after they had the forum crash and lost all of the old info that was on here. If you look at the Air pump disable procedure it tells you that you are to remove the relay for the air pump you leave the fuse in place because it is also the same fuse for the under hood light which is working on my car so I know the fuse is still good.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 PM

The Lazy Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KameleonSS View Post
If you look at the Air pump disable procedure it tells you that you are to remove the relay for the air pump you leave the fuse in place because it is also the same fuse for the under hood light which is working on my car so I know the fuse is still good.
If you remove the relay you will get a code 29. Fuse and relay need to be in place.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM

Narc 9c1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lazy Destroyer View Post
If you remove the relay you will get a code 29. Fuse and relay need to be in place.
This. I know Qalo's Manual says take it out but I left mine in.

95 9C1: Purchase Price: $1k -- AI 190cc Heads/cam, 355 Bottom End, 58mm BK TB, Intake Ported by AI, CIA Quad-1 Long Tubes w/ Export Pipes, Beefed up 4l60 w/ Yank SS3200 TC, 3:73s, Eaton Truetrac, SS Rearend, Eibach Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, PPM Front End, C3Fab 5/8 Extended Control Arms, SS Interior...
53 Studebaker Starliner: sold!
69 Grand Prix
Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 PM

94MI9C1 is on a distinguished road

You can only take it out if you have the ability to tune the PCM to ignore Code 29 for the Air Pump. Relay and fuse must stay in to keep the CEL off.
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1, 126,000 miles, T56, 4.10's

C6 Grandsport Brake Install C6 Z06 Wheels T56 Installation Manual

Last edited by 94MI9C1; 02-22-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:54 PM

cletus284 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KameleonSS View Post
Pretty sure I did a search and did not find the answer. I am sick and tired of reading post and seeing someone respond with the do a search the search on here sucks now after they had the forum crash and lost all of the old info that was on here.
It's here, in the tech section: http://www.impalassforum.com/tech/en...p/air_pump.htm

FWIW, I'm sick and tired of answering the same noob questions over and over, but for some crazy reason I still do it. The crash was years ago, most common issues can be answered with a search.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:51 AM

KameleonSS

Just because my post count isn't high in no way makes me a noob as a matter of fact I have been a member of the site longer than you. Plain and simple the search function sucks on here now because of the crash. Now back to the point I had already saw the link you posted and I did that but that is what caused the Check Engine Light to come when you pull the relay like it says to do in that link. That was my question why is it causing a CEL to come on when it says nothing about it and with it being an OBD1 it should not need to be reprogrammed like it says in that link.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 AM

1slow96 is on a distinguished road
Default Check Engine Light after doing Air pump disable.

Crash,smash. I still can't believe how many times this excuse is given. I'm sure that one could find hundreds of threads dealing with this very issue in less than a minute using the "thread tools",or "search" function. You dislike the term "noob",and yet ask about a subject that has been beaten to death literally hundreds of times. So,what term would you prefer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.