Bypassing heater core - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > Heating/Cooling/HVAC
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 AM

The Lazy Destroyer
Default Bypassing heater core

I read through a couple threads on this but the ones I saw did not have a solid conclusion, so I wanted to make sure I am not doing anything wrong, or if there is a better way to do this.

I need to bypass the heater core and am thinking of making a small section of tubing on the heater core outlet/inlet connections at the water pump.

The setup: WP outlet immediately to the stock restrictor orifice, then to the stock "T" (with the side outlet going to the reservoir tank), then back to the WP return connection.
I will probably keep the 3/4" line going to the tank somewhat low, similar to the stock setup.

I'm assuming if I do this, it should not be a problem since it's effectively identical to the stock setup, just with the heater core removed and hoses shorter.
But would like to check to see if it can be done differently.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM

4DoorSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are you looking to do this, leaking Heater Core? I had a similar issue on an old hoopty and it was too much work to replace the Core and I just looped the two connections together with a Hose Coupler and a couple of clamps. Pulled the hoses at the HC firewall area and coupled them together. If was fine, just not fun having heat in the winter and those little electric plugin heaters dont do squat.

I suppose you could do the same theng as long as its in between the T-Fitting on the Tank and the firewall which esentially bypasses the HC. Dont think you even need to include the restrictor since I think its purpose is to limit flow to the Heater Core. Just a question of where you want to splice it in and loop the 2 hoses.

But really, why not replace the HC if its leaking? Its not a fun job but is pretty easy to do once you check some of the threads. I recently did mine and it was pretty easy with the passenger seat out. On a good car I would rather replace the HC, on a $400 hoopty....not so much.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM

Gacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lazy Destroyer View Post
I read through a couple threads on this but the ones I saw did not have a solid conclusion, so I wanted to make sure I am not doing anything wrong, or if there is a better way to do this.

I need to bypass the heater core and am thinking of making a small section of tubing on the heater core outlet/inlet connections at the water pump.

The setup: WP outlet immediately to the stock restrictor orifice, then to the stock "T" (with the side outlet going to the reservoir tank), then back to the WP return connection.
I will probably keep the 3/4" line going to the tank somewhat low, similar to the stock setup.

I'm assuming if I do this, it should not be a problem since it's effectively identical to the stock setup, just with the heater core removed and hoses shorter.
But would like to check to see if it can be done differently.
This is exactly what I did. Worked fine.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM

The Lazy Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorSS View Post
Why are you looking to do this, leaking Heater Core?

HVAC system is removed
So there is no heater core.
The quick and easy way to do it would be to just loop it at the firewall, but I wanted to remove the mess of hoses on the passenger side of the engine bay.

My goal is to have the area beside the header and alternator cleaned up. So I'd like to have my bypass hoses right there at the water pump connections.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Banned

DougDePew is on a distinguished road

A really cleaner way would be to remove the outlet tubes from the pump and put plugs right in the pump itself there. No ugly hose loop.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM

The Lazy Destroyer

What would be the best way to pipe in the reservoir to the system then?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned

DougDePew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lazy Destroyer View Post
What would be the best way to pipe in the reservoir to the system then?
Good point. I'm still stuck in my old-school ways too often
Old 02-25-2013, 12:06 PM

1slow96 is on a distinguished road
Default Bypassing heater core

The easiest way I've found is by using AN-10 hose/fittings to construct the "bypass-loop" in such a way that when the loop is broken,the heater hoses are easily connected. The car will run hotter with the heater core bypassed.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:11 PM

4DoorSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, now I see what you were thinking.

If you look at how the hoses are run, I guess you could just come off the other side of the Tee Fitting and then down to the Lower WP fitting to complete the circuit. Then just remove the HC hoses that run along the passenger side of the engine to the firewall.

How you choose to bypass the HC hose and setup is probably up to you and how creative you want to get.....different tee of some sort? Just make sure that the cooling circuit is still tied together the same way but with the 2 HC hoses removed.

The Tee works better on the other side of the Alternator bracket since you can mount the hoses there and secure them. Then use maybe a 180* bend of pipe or maybe there is a plastic fitting for this. But if you want to move things forward of that, you may have to get creative with the hose coming off the tank to the tee fitting and then somehow mount the hoses securly so they dont get caught up in the accessories.

Add a pic of what you come up with.

'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 PM

The Lazy Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slow96 View Post
The car will run hotter with the heater core bypassed.
Is this because the HC ability to transfer the heat to the surrounding air? I'm not sure of any other ways the HC can help cool the system down. I thought the HC wouldn't provide much cooling ability unless the HVAC fans were on, since otherwise it just sits in it's own chamber building up heat? My Mezierre HD is capable of 50gpm but I think the flow restrictor limits what the heater core sees to 5gpm max.

I suppose instead of running to the HC I could run to a small external radiator, but then I'd lose some of the simplicity I'm after.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.