AC Delco spark plugs gap difference - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Impala SS Forum
Go Back   Chevy Impala SS Forum > 91-96 Impala/B-body > PCM Programming/Engine Management
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM

Berns
Default AC Delco spark plugs gap difference

Hello All,
I have been reading thru some threads for spark plugs but most are for the LT1 and what ever information was available prior to the crash for 91-93s no longer appears when clicking on the topic. I am doing a full tune up on my car this weekend cause I have to get it smogged. I was searching Napa and noticed that part no CR43TS which is what the car came with from factory state gap at .35 but the rapid fire plugs state gap at .45. Why the difference?

Car info: 1993 Caprice LTZ - L05 mostly stock with only upgrades being MSD cap and rotor and soon new MSD wires, MSD coil, dual after cat exhaust, tranny with shift kit and JET chip.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...270&Ne=1000000
Smoked headlight, tinted 91 tails, LED interior and exterior, JET chipped, MSD ignition, sounds with Kenwood unit, 20" IROCS w/ 255/35 20 Falkens, dual after cat exhaust and bowtie tips, modded air box, WAY MORE TO COME.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 PM

Rocko350 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on engine condition, the rapidfire plug that is gapped at .045" will idle cleaner and should smog better vs the standard plug gapped at .035". It can conduct its spark energy better and can also shed a bit more heat. Be forewarned though, in cold temperatures with ethanol gas and TBI expect a bit of hard starting and some economy drop off with the rapidfires. The difference between the two is the materials the plug is made from, and the amount of heat each is able to deal with since the rapidfires conduct heat to the cooling jacket a bit quicker.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmaster View Post
I really can't say for sure. Once the roofies kicked in she seemed calm and easy going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
My first advice to you is to edit that and call me from a payphone.
94-95 Scan. Free well written diagnostic software
http://www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s

Last edited by Rocko350; 05-30-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: forgot to profread. jay caught me VVV
Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 PM

ghetto wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

I never used Rapid fire plugs. I always used the stock AC delco CR43TS for a 350 or the CR45TS for a 305. What is strange is that the TBI Trucks used CR43TS plugs. They cost $12.50* -20 for a pack of 8, They last 30k if your engine is in good shape.

* AC delco spark plug rebate.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 PM

jayoldschool is on a distinguished road

When HEI first launched, GM spec'd gaps as large as .060. They brought that number down to .035 (not .35, btw, that's HUGE). Anything between .035 and .045 will work reliably.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 AM

Berns

Thanks to all for your help. I think I will take advantage of the AC Delco rebate and get the rapid fires since I do not drive it daily and the cold temps are not as bad in Cali as other places.
Smoked headlight, tinted 91 tails, LED interior and exterior, JET chipped, MSD ignition, sounds with Kenwood unit, 20" IROCS w/ 255/35 20 Falkens, dual after cat exhaust and bowtie tips, modded air box, WAY MORE TO COME.....
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 PM

ghetto wagon is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the rebate ends today (May 31st) unless they extended it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.