Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone hope everyone’s doing well, anybody know how to disassemble the sun visors for reupholstering I’d to do my headliner as well, today I went to my local upholstery shop today and was quoted $75 apiece but he said that he would like to look at them first because aren’t to be assembled.

anybody knows how to take them apart? Pics would help.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
5,949 Posts
Yes. There are two halves. They split down the middle like a hamburger bun. The fabric is wrapped around the two plastic cores.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
As I remember from that detailed post there are a LOT of staples involved. I think they used a plastic scraper or body trim tool to split the halves CAREFULLY.

·
Super Moderator
5,949 Posts
I used the search bar for "visor upholstery"

·
Registered
425 Posts
I usually just pry them open ,not all the way just enough to stuff the material in there,you would glue your material first to the visor, and the loose ends you will stuff with a flathead or similar tool.you dont really want to split these wide open as you might break the plastic clips.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply guys.

Quick question!

Do you guys know if all 94-96 Impala ss came with a passenger side lighted vanity mirror, and the driver’s side visor was just a mirror? Was that a standard option?

·
Registered
1995 iMPALA ss
6 Posts
I've recovered several and once you get it down it is easy. Cut the old material off with a knife and then take your time and carefully pry the two sides apart. You will find where the tabs are by looking in the half round holes around the parameter of the plastic. Then cut the new fabric very over sized, and lay the opened up visor on top. This is where time, patience and some experience will be much needed/helpful. Get some extra material so you can make some mistakes while learning on the first one. Now, go to You-Tube and look up How to Reupholster a Chevy Silverado Sun Visor, by Meca Upholstery Tips. That's where I learned. The key is knowing you will need to do some careful stretching in key spots which will become apparent on the video. You can do it, good luck.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Should be a new thread.
Do you guys know if all 94-96 Impala ss came with a passenger side lighted vanity mirror, and the driver’s side visor was just a mirror? Was that a standard option?
Hard to say year to year but I have seen enough dealer literature and window stickers for 1996 to say the passenger vanity was normally part of a $490 "prefered equipment group 1" which also added the power rack to the passenger seat. It looks the same for other years. I expect it could also be added without the group.

Without going through the documents I think the driver's vanity was stock on all Caprice. (9C1??)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts